What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

Robin Hood, the Crowe version.

Dear lord what were they thinking? I can't think of one redeeming feature.
Scenery maybe. Though Nottingham, the White Horse and the English Channel seemed a lot closer together than I remember. :)

Last edited:
20 Feet From Stardom - Academy Award winner for best documentary. This documentary looks into the world of backup singers through their own eyes and those of the famous bands/singers they are backing up. It was an interesting and enjoyable watch.

The Jimi Hendrix biopic "All Is By My Side." I am about 1/2 way through. I am a big Hendrix fan. I am very disappointed in this. Not really the impression of Jimi Hendrix that I have had. And not much about the music.

The Jimi Hendrix biopic "All Is By My Side." I am about 1/2 way through. I am a big Hendrix fan. I am very disappointed in this. Not really the impression of Jimi Hendrix that I have had. And not much about the music.
Sometimes a celebrity's off-stage life is just as interesting as their public performance.

You'll see that I use Julius Henry Marx as my avatar. Most people call him Groucho. But I'm honoring the man himself, not the characters that he played on film. As a human being, he is one of my role-models, and represents almost everything I want to be when I grow up.

Same thing with Leonard Schneider, who called himself Lenny Bruce on stage. I couldn't care less about his obscene rants in front of an audience, but I love reading about his private-life growing up on Lawn Guyland, his adventures as a Merchant Marine, his brushes with the law as a small-potatoes con-man and bunko artist, his struggles with drugs, and his marriage to Honey Harlow.

There are plenty more examples. My point is that we often form an image of celebrities and think that is all there is to them. But that image doesn't define the person in their entirety, and its left behind when the show is over.

Sometimes a celebrity's off-stage life is just as interesting as their public performance.

You'll see that I use Julius Henry Marx as my avatar. Most people call him Groucho. But I'm honoring the man himself, not the characters that he played on film. As a human being, he is one of my role-models, and represents almost everything I want to be when I grow up.

Same thing with Leonard Schneider, who called himself Lenny Bruce on stage. I couldn't care less about his obscene rants in front of an audience, but I love reading about his private-life growing up on Lawn Guyland, his adventures as a Merchant Marine, his brushes with the law as a small-potatoes con-man and bunko artist, his struggles with drugs, and his marriage to Honey Harlow.

There are plenty more examples. My point is that we often form an image of celebrities and think that is all there is to them. But that image doesn't define the person in their entirety, and its left behind when the show is over.

What you write is certainly fair enough. I suppose anyone who only thought about Hendrix from his stage show would have thought he was some extroverted, wild man, perhaps violent, perhaps an egomaniac. What I wrote was based more on other things I have read though about Hendrix.

My overall impression of Hendrix is that he was, most of the time, a sweet, rather quiet and even shy guy, although he did do well with women. Apparently there were a few instances of his becoming violent when drinking, which I do not think he did much, but the "domestic violence" depicted in the film apparently never happened and has no connection to the real Jimi Hendrix or the Jimi Hendrix depicted in the rest of the film. The film has very little on his music, but depicts a time when he was utterly blooming as a artist. My recollection is that Hendrix was obsessed with music, and carried his guitar everywhere, jamming with folks all over the place, and that he worked on songs all the time. This is not shown or referenced in the movie. My recollection is also that he was close to Mitch Mitchell and they bonded quickly, but the movie indicates a contentious relationship, at least at first. Chas Chandler apparently wanted him to call himself Jimi rather than Jimmy, but in the movie Jimi explains that he just likes "Jimi" better. My recollection is that Jimi had a generally sunny disposition. In the movie he often seems sullen, to me.

Anyway, it just seemed to me that the movie was often just making up stuff, often for no apparent reason. There was a lot that was sort of chick flicky about it. No doubt Jimi Hendrix had an interesting enough life and was an interesting enough person to get it right in the movie!

Re Lenny Bruce, I think it is fair to say that his comedy does not really hold up very well-not after folks like Richard Pryor. Also, I would say that he private life was very much a part of his public persona. An interesting private life it was. Part of his downfall may have been trying to actually live the persona he was projecting! At the end of the day, a sensitive guy.

I dislike when biopics change their subject's lives around, seemingly for convenience. Just MHO, of course.

Good post. I didn't know that was Groucho. I've always liked him and his brothers. For some reason, I've always felt an affinity for Chico.

WINTER SLEEP - This Chekhov adaptation tells the story of a wealthy writer in remote Anatolia. The dialog-rich exchanges bring Ingmar Bergman to mind. *** of four

$WINTERBanner.jpg

ONLY ANGELS HAVE WINGS - Howard Hawks directed this sober romantic drama about a trials and risks of aerial flights in a dangerous corner of Latin America. Cary Grant and Jean Arthur verbally spar, and fall in love - though the film is rather typical and even sedate by modern standards. ** of four

Ex Machina.

It was pretty good. Very thought provoking in regards to AI and if we'll actually see it in our lifetimes.

Top Bottom