What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

Movies on the planes:

Lucy - liked Scarlett but not much else. Just good enough to pass the time with.
Guardians of the Galaxy - second time viewing, benefits from a big screen but still highly entertaining

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - good. Preferred the first, but this was a dark enjoyable flick.

Captain America Winter Soldier. I think I preferred Lucy. Didn't care for the first, didn't much care for this.

Edge of Tomorrow. Expected to hate this as I don't usually like Tom Cruise, but this surprised me. A little too Groundhog Day in places but ended up a solid sci fi mivie and I preferred it over Lucy, Apes and Cap.

The Quiet American.
Very well done and made me wonder why, given the choice, I sit down with the tosh above rather than watching fine acting, good story and great cinematography. Superb movie.

DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES - Possibly the last humans living eke out an existence in a crumbling San Francisco. Their survival hinges on making a shut-down hydroelectric generator work - but that means having to work with a super-intelligent race of apes. Outstanding special effects put the original movies from the 60s and 70s to shame. *** of four

American Sniper. It was good, & my son really enjoyed it. I read the book so I think some areas were just barely covered. But after all, it's only a two hour movie and some things are bound to be left out. But as a multiple tour vet myself, I had hoped it would address his PTSD & difficulty readjusting. But overall, good film and pretty accurate (down to the water bottle counterweight used on the tent door and the looks of most urban areas). Eastwood did a great job.

My thoughts exactly, I saw that water and almost wanted to shout out in shock that they included such a minor detail. Overall excellent film, I've read the book and there are some "Hollywood-izations" in there but I guess that's to be expected. Typically when the credits begin rolling people start shuffling out to beat the crowd, not a soul moved in the theater until the last image was shown. Powerful stuff.

The Hurt Locker is an awful depiction of OIF. 99.9% of the film is fabricated non-sense, I could create a sole thread just tearing that thing apart. There's one scene that fits and can be related to and that's when he's in the supermarket and just seems a bit lost and doesn't fit.

Just my opinion, no offense intended to anyone who enjoyed the film.

The Hurt Locker is an awful depiction of OIF. 99.9% of the film is fabricated non-sense, I could create a sole thread just tearing that thing apart. There's one scene that fits and can be related to and that's when he's in the supermarket and just seems a bit lost and doesn't fit.

Just my opinion, no offense intended to anyone who enjoyed the film.

I thought the bomb scene in the very beginning where Guy Pierce dies was legit....and the supermarket scene and scene at home but agree with you on the rest.

Edge of Tomorrow. Expected to hate this as I don't usually like Tom Cruise, but this surprised me. A little too Groundhog Day in places but ended up a solid sci fi mivie and I preferred it over Lucy, Apes and Cap.

The fact that you get to see Tom Cruise killed over and over makes up for the fact that he's starring in the movie :)

The fact that you get to see Tom Cruise killed over and over makes up for the fact that he's starring in the movie :)
Maybe that's what I liked about it [emoji3]
I usually describe Edge of Tomorrow as "the first movie where I didn't hate Tom Cruise". Probably my biggest surprise movie-wise last year.

Boyhood. 10/10. Filmed over 12 years. Great acting. American Realism style of filmmaking hits home. Instant classic. Deservedly nominated for best picture.

$boyhood-teaser-poster-404x600.jpg

Ernest and Celestine. 10/10. Entertaining and fun for the whole family. Mortal enemies (bear and mouse) become friends. Great voice acting by Forest Whitaker as Ernest and Lauren Bacall.

$ernest-celestine-poster-410x600.jpg

Boyhood. 10/10. Filmed over 12 years. Great acting. American Realism style of filmmaking hits home. Instant classic. Deservedly nominated for best picture.

View attachment 543384
Interesting. I know it got a lot of critical praise, and smart people can disagree, but I only made it about halfway through (which makes me supremely unqualified to judge, I freely admit).
I wanted to like it - I like Linklater, and as a conceptual achievement it's impressive, but I felt it lacked direction. Like every year they got together and said, "What should we do now?" Maybe there were payoffs if I had stuck with it longer, but I got tired of waiting. And I thought the acting was weak, particularly the kids, though maybe they got some lessons over the years.

"And this was the year the kid got a stupid haircut." Which by the next sequence meant nothing.

I probably will finish it, but I'm in no hurry.

I agree. I really like Linklater's films; I see everything he directs.

So, I really wanted to like BOYHOOD - and I was left with an "Is that all there is?" feeling. The characters were naturalistic, but dramatically kind of dull. Filming a movie over twelve years is kind of audacious, and it's kind of a miracle it turned out as good as it did. It seemed to lack a certain direction - ironically, not unlike the lives of its characters.

Still, it's kind of cool that an indie can win an Oscar for best film - as it looks like it will.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I've seen it happen twice. Schindler's List and Ghandi were the two films.
I grew up in Cleveland, and some of my neighbors had numbers tattooed on their arms. I learned about the Holocaust from those with first hand knowledge. Even with that, Schindler's List was a powerful movie.

Boom Town
Clark Gable
Spencer Tracy
Claudette Colbert
Hedy Lamar
Frank Morgan

Sweet Smell of Success
Burt Lancaster
Tony Curtis
Martin Milner
Susan Harrison

Chef
Thoroughly enjoyed it. Just a nice movie.
One day I will make a movie and state thet my ex is Sofia Vergara but I also smooch a bit with Scarlett Johansson.

Her
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1798709/?ref_=nv_sr_2

As much as I can appreciate good cyber-sex, this movie has nothing going for it. It is boring and unrealistic.

I started watching it because both HBO and IMDB gave it high ratings. 4/5 and 8/10 respectively. My rating is 1/10.

I couldn't even stay through to the end. I turned it off after 45 minutes, and now I'm rocking out to a re-run of Chicago Fire.

Top Bottom