What's new

Tony Miller Artisan strop size

The answer is yes, he offers a 2.5" version of his strops. I believe they are the same, just smaller and with one less "rivet." Tony will come by and tell you all the details.

I was able to get one of Tony's "2.5" inch Traditional Artisans. I really like it and I don't regret getting the 2.5 instead of the 3" at all. I really like the length to width ratio.

I was able to get one of Tony's "2.5" inch Traditional Artisans. I really like it and I don't regret getting the 2.5 instead of the 3" at all. I really like the length to width ratio.

Same here acroos the board. Tony went to quite a bit of trouble to put the 2.5 inch together for me quickly, which I really appreciate. Right now I am thinkng 2.5 may be the sweet spot in widths. I definitely do not regret not going with 3.0. I do not think I would hesitate to go with 2.0 inch.

But truly, they are all good. Works of art.

So looking at the website I dont see anything listed in 2.5". I suppose you just have to contact him direct. Is there a price difference between the 3" and 2.5"?

Cheers,
Chris.

So looking at the website I dont see anything listed in 2.5". I suppose you just have to contact him direct. Is there a price difference between the 3" and 2.5"?

Cheers,
Chris.

Yes, there is a price diffference. A meaningful one, if I recall. Also ss I recall, the way Tony does it is he makes up a bunch of items of particular sizes and types. Opens up the store. Sells them. Then--about 15 minutes later, from what I can tell, after he has instantly sold everything he could possible make since being open last time--he goes back off-line to make some more.

So right now he does not really have a catalog of what he sells as he really keeps no inventory at all. Whether he would have to make a 2.5 or 2.0 inch strop separately in the next cycle or whether he has some odds and ends around where he can out one together right away, who knows. But I am sure he will try to accomodate you.

Prince of a guy. Uplifting just to have some interaction with him. Feel guilty about suggesting that he do "custom" work for you for fear of taking up his limited time, but I do not need to be protective. He can tell you what he can easily do and not. I think he has said that his favorite size is 2.5 inch, but he bulk of what he sells is 3.0 inches, so he makes what the public wants to buy. Also, you have to figure that 3.0 inches probably uses up leather beyond the extra 0.5 inch through "waste." Who knows, he may happen to have a perfect piece for 2.5 inches waiting there that he cannot make into a 3.0 inch strop but is perfect for 2.5!

Good luck. It may take a while, but he is absolutely reliable.

I believe he's on vacation right now until the end of the month.
His website does not allow an order if the shop is not open and it only keeps a few place holders for some of the items he offers when it's closed.

He also offers 2 inch strops and a 4 sided paddle strop.

Last edited:

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Hi guys, still away and with really limited internet access.

I make 2", 2 1/2" and 3" sizes, but mostly the 3" as they are what sells the fastest and pays the bills.

In response to some of the posts, well, I rarely make custom work as my time is usually spent on just keeping up with regular stuff, but I often make shorter versions for people as it just requires modifying what is already made.

There is actually little difference between a 2 1/2" and a 3" in price.

Tony

Ahh the man himself! Hey thanks for taking the time to respond to the thread. I will be eagerly awaiting your return so I can place an order for a 2.5" strop :D

Cheers,
Chris.

Chris,

To your "New Standard" question, as Tony has pointed out they come in three sizes, the Artisan that is. He just named the widths, 3" is the New Standard, 2.5" is the Traditional, and 2" is the Old School. I have a vintage horsehide strop that measures 2.5" and a TM 2" Latigo and Cotton. The quality is amazing, I really dig the D Rings, and prefer the 2" to the 2.5". Obviously they both produce very different draws but I'd take that 2" any day. Patience is a virtue well worth having for a TM strop.:biggrin:

What do you like about the 2.0 over the 2.5? I have no idea why, but I suddenly seem to have this obsession over wanting a 2.0 strop.

I have TM 2.5" latigo and I swear it is one of the my favorite possessions, shaving or otherwise.

What do you like about the 2.0 over the 2.5?

Honestly it is like the 2.5 is confused. Do I need an X or can I just go straight up and down? Some razors are really close. With the 2" all need to be Xed which I like. Also it should have the least chance of cupping.

Honestly it is like the 2.5 is confused. Do I need an X or can I just go straight up and down?

QFT - I have the 2.5 and a 3 - I like the 2.5 but have often wondered if a 2 and a 3 would be better suited. Alas, I just need to save up the funds and buy the 2 to find out :)

andy

Honestly it is like the 2.5 is confused. Do I need an X or can I just go straight up and down? Some razors are really close. With the 2" all need to be Xed which I like. Also it should have the least chance of cupping.

Some would say that an X pattern is always desirable. I do not know how good my technique is, but I do not got straight up and down even when I can!

QFT - I have the 2.5 and a 3 - I like the 2.5 but have often wondered if a 2 and a 3 would be better suited. Alas, I just need to save up the funds and buy the 2 to find out :)

andy

My take is if you want to do the X, go with a 2", if you don't go with the 3". YMMV of course and I apologize to the 2.5" fans.

What do you like about the 2.0 over the 2.5? I have no idea why, but I suddenly seem to have this obsession over wanting a 2.0 strop.

I just bought a new strop (a Paladin from RupRazor -- have blade will travel :001_smile). I had the 2.5 on order but emailed in a change request to go for the 2.0. I originally ordered the 2.5 without thinking; since Ken charges he same for 2.5 as 2.0 it seemed like the better deal. Then I realized I already had a 2.5 and 2.0 (neither a Paladin) and that I found myself gravitating towards the 2.0. Somehow it justs feels like it is easier to get the whole blade to contact the strop.

I notice that the super-expensive, high-end Japanese strops are narrow. I think European strops are generally narrow as well.

Anyway, I prefer the feel of using a 2.0.

I notice that the super-expensive, high-end Japanese strops are narrow. I think European strops are generally narrow as well.

The Japanese strop I just got (the 30000 from RasagePoulin) is approx 2.75 wide; wider than my horsehide 2.5 but narrower than the TM 3 inch latigo. I'm trying to find out by trial which one of my razors feels best to go with which strop.

When I ordered the Kanoyama I thought it would be replacing the latigo in my den, but as nice as the Japanese strop is, I found it just won't replace the Tony Miller strop for use with certain blades I have.

The Japanese strop I just got (the 30000 from RasagePoulin) is approx 2.75 wide; wider than my horsehide 2.5 but narrower than the TM 3 inch latigo. I'm trying to find out by trial which one of my razors feels best to go with which strop.

When I ordered the Kanoyama I thought it would be replacing the latigo in my den, but as nice as the Japanese strop is, I found it just won't replace the Tony Miller strop for use with certain blades I have.

OK, live and learn! Not sure how I got the idea the Japanese strops were closer to 2.0. Maybe they just looked that way in the pictures.

OK, live and learn! Not sure how I got the idea the Japanese strops were closer to 2.0. Maybe they just looked that way in the pictures.

I actually though that too. I think the reason is because the total leather component is longer than, say, a TM; the whole thing is a long ol' strip, so in pictures the proportions make it look narrower.
The effective length that you can use for stropping though, is about the same as the 2 other strops I have, regardless of the width.

Top Bottom