What's new

Zookeepers of the Muhle R41 BEAST

icon1.png

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by cpacamper
Chamm, have you tried a Cobra Classic?

It's on my "someday" list. They're not exactly easy to pick up these days. :lol:

There's one on eBay at the moment. Never been tempted personally.

Turned off by limited blade selection and stories of poor QC. Never seen one so not sure how true that is.

Same seller has a 2011 R41 on sale as well. Live auction so no link. (I think that's correct protocol)

Last edited:
I'm on a BEAST blade quest and just got through the worst blade so far for me, a Merkur Super Platinum. The blade pulls and tugs more than others, and I'm left with a bit of irritation.

The rub is...even with my worst blade, the razor STILL delivers an insanely close BBS. Man I love this tool. Is it time to shave again?

Last edited:
I'm on a BEAST blade quest and just got through the worst blade so far for me, a Merkur stainless. The blade pulls and tugs more than others, and I'm left with a bit of irritation.

The rub is...even with my worst blade, the razor STILL delivers an insanely close BBS. Man I love this tool. Is it time to shave again?

Try Merkur Super Platinum, they're really good blades, well, at least in my opinion. I don't think I ever tried the Stainless, if I did I don't remember.
The problem is the price, there's similar or better blades for less money.

I'm on a BEAST blade quest and just got through the worst blade so far for me, a Merkur stainless. The blade pulls and tugs more than others, and I'm left with a bit of irritation.

I've recently had good experiences with the Rapira Swedish Steel blade in my '11 r41. Sharp and silky smooth, although only for two shaves (ymmv).

Edgar, I meant Merkur Super Platinum, sorry for the confusion.

My top blades so far are:
1a. Gillette Yellow 7:00
1b. Nacet Platinum
1c. Lord Platinum
2. Bic Super Chromes
3. Gillette Silver Blues

1b. Nacet Platinum
1c. Lord Platinum
2. Bic Super Chromes
3. Gillette Silver Blues

Oh ... ok then. Well, YMMV, as always. I like the Merkur very much.

I never tried the Nacet or the Lord, so I can't comment. The others are all fine blades.
Just a suggestion, try to get some Gillette Platinum, they're my absolute favorite blade, and perform great in all my razors.

The Lord and Nacet were pleasant surprises, I don't see them mentioned as often as others. I have a bunch more to try from my sampler.

That sounds cool David. I might buy a tuck or two one of these days and try them too. I might be wrong and doesn't have anything to do with the coating, but usually, all platinum coated blades have been good, in my experience.

Another magical shave with the BEAST last night. I loaded it with a Trig stainless and there was a thick, luxurious cushion of Tabac. The result was a very comfortable DFS.

it's all about blade.angle with the r41.

Muhle R41 2011 in a practiced hand, turns an everyday chore into an art and a long awaited reprieve from the toils of the daily grind. After a week or two of trial and error, my R41 shaves are without nick nor weep- just smooth and fresh. I officially request approval for admittance to this fraternity (though there may be a lass or two out there who weilds an R41 as well:thumbup1:). Shave bravely my friends!

Muhle R41 2011 in a practiced hand, turns an everyday chore into an art and a long awaited reprieve from the toils of the daily grind. After a week or two of trial and error, my R41 shaves are without nick nor weep- just smooth and fresh. I officially request approval for admittance to this fraternity (though there may be a lass or two out there who weilds an R41 as well:thumbup1:). Shave bravely my friends!

Welcome to the Zoo, Polaris! :thumbup1:

1b. Nacet Platinum
1c. Lord Platinum
2. Bic Super Chromes
3. Gillette Silver Blues
+1 for the 7:00 Yellows. They work very well with "the beast."

Who here braves the R41 with a Feather?

Feathers are great in the R41. They cut so effectively, fewer passes are needed and for me that means less skin irritation. I also really like Perma Sharps and Bolzanos. All excellent blades in the R41. Fun toys... fun toys... fun toys... fun toys!

Last edited:
Who here braves the R41 with a Feather?

All day every day. :thumbup:

But seriously, feathers are my favorite blade for both vintages of the R41. (and I know… that's not a totally correct use of R41 terminology, seeing as how there were prior editions to the two we always talk about… but hey give me a break already :lol: )

Top Bottom