What's new

YAQI Romulus Polished 316 Stainless AC Blade razor!

Iridian

Cool and slimy
There are soon Easter Sales and...

... yesterday, I shaved again with the Romulus with the Feather SUPER AC blades.

Just amazing...! This blade transformed the razor from mild to medium and from "wish it would be a bit more efficient and just have a bit more blade and oomph" to "amazing shave!!!"

I even got my neck perfectly right this time. AC blades trump DE blades, and the Feather Super must be my spirit animal. Depends on the razor, of course, for the Romulus it was a game changer.

Yeah, back to the sales thought: I am very close to ordering a Romulus OC, on the other hand, I also still want some other razors and the Romulus SB is already BBS with a few strokes level now, no idea how much the OC would change, improve or make this worse. I still want to try the Vector and should save up some money for that as well, on the other hand! :)

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD, Friday, March 22nd 2024

Razor : Yaqi Romulus 316SSP with a Yaqi Chippendale handle- Mfg 2023> mild to tame mid range depending on blade used or shim used. I'm really starting to enjoy this little nimble razor that seems to shave my beard almost effortlessly with a Kai 50mm blade. Small head parts makes me want to use a washcloth to assemble parts together on in case I drop something. Had a stellar close comfortable shave this morning.
Blade : Kai Captain titian mild(2) sharp and smooth with great longevity. Great blade to use!
Soap : Yaqi Musketeer Rapier, nice scented soap with excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi " Moka Express" 26mm synthetic husky knot. Excellent lather generator, luxury heavenly cloud like soft tips, gentle splay scrubber + excellent lather painter. 26 mm synthetic knots are awesome.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Yaqi Musketeer Rapier splash + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : Dial 10 stellar.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Had a stellar close comfortable shave this morning with my Yaqi Romulus SE razor with a Kai titian mild blade. Very enjoyable shave this morning with this gear.
SOTD March 22 2024.jpg

Have some great shaves!

After a lot of experimenting, the Kai Protouch MG is the only AC blade my face can handle, this with the mild Romulus head. I get smooth, nick-free shaves with this combo. But I'm still tempted to try the RR Hawk V3 regular with its larger, easier to load head. Is it significantly more aggressive or offer any positive attributes I'm not currently experiencing with the Romulus?

Reactions: Kix

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
After a lot of experimenting, the Kai Protouch MG is the only AC blade my face can handle, this with the mild Romulus head. I get smooth, nick-free shaves with this combo. But I'm still tempted to try the RR Hawk V3 regular with its larger, easier to load head. Is it significantly more aggressive or offer any positive attributes I'm not currently experiencing with the Romulus?

I have the Vector, but don't have the Remus/Romulus

The Hawk is mild in comparison to the Vector. I have the V3A and pair it with a Pro Super blade, and it's an efficient, comfortable shave, at that point. Using a less aggressive blade it was much too mild.

I don’t find it significantly more aggressive, but it is a bit more. It’s also noticeably more efficient and smoother IMO.

I don’t find it significantly more aggressive, but it is a bit more. It’s also noticeably more efficient and smoother IMO.
The Kai guarded blades have proven safe for me; maybe they can handle a bit more aggression. I'm also all thumbs when it comes to loading the small Romulus head, so on those grounds alone the larger Hawk is appealing. I'd order the base and top plates to go with RR handle I've already got. Sounds like minimal risk and cost. I think someone around here has also tried it with a Timeless Crown Ti handle, a nice option if ever I wanted to get a little fancy.

Ron R

SE SOTD, Thursday April 5th 2024

Razor : Yaqi Romulus SE 316 SSP with a Yaqi Chippendale 316 SSP handle. Mfg 2023> mild to tame mid range depending on blade used (Feather makes 4 different AC blades) or gap shim made. Excellent machining and finish QC + simple clamping system & very nimble to work the face. I like to assemble on a wash cloth because head parts are small. Had a stellar close comfortable shave this morning.
Blade : Kai Captain Titian mild(4) sharp and smoooth with great longevity.
Soap : Yaqi "The Green", nice natural scented like walking in blossom batch of some sort, very enjoyable with excellent lather qualities. This soap is made in collaboration with Master soap creations S.A & Yaqi for their line of soaps and fragrances.
Brush : Yaqi "Goblin" 24mm synthetic. Excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, nice splay scrubber + excellent lather painter. Great brush to use for my shave needs.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Post shave : Yaqi "the green" splash(very addictive beautifully natural scented IMO) with witch hazel+ a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : Dial 10 stellar.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBS + minimal irritation + no weepers=:a17: Had a close comfortable shave this morning with my Yaqi Romulus 316 SSP razor with a Kai Captain titian mild blade.
SOTD April 5 2024.jpg

Have some great shaves!

20240408SOTDb.jpg

I had been using the RR Ti Halo for awhile, but aesthetically it wasn't working for me. Dscosmetics had a sale so I picked up the Ti THT handle since it's a 12mm. I think it dressed up this little razor quite nicely. Kind of disappointed in the knurling as it's not very grippy. Has me wondering if it got smoothed over from the polishing. Anyway this pair has the razor down to a lightweight 54g which places weight wise between my Vector Ti(44g) and the Vector SS(77g)

While I was scrutinizing the fit of the handle, I felt a bit of a roughness on the end of the razor base plate. Initially I thought it was a area that was missed during polishing. Pulled out the camera to get a closeup to see what it was. Out of all the times I've used this razor, I never noticed this before. I guess I'm not as observant as I think I am.
YAQIRomulus.jpg

Dscosmetics had a sale so I picked up the Ti THT handle since it's a 12mm. I think it dressed up this little razor quite nicely. Kind of disappointed in the knurling as it's not very grippy. Has me wondering if it got smoothed over from the polishing.
I have that same handle with my Romulus. In spite of the knurling it is not the grippiest handle. I view the grip as adequate even though the knurling is not very deep. Perhaps you are correct in that the polishing removed some of depth of the knurling,

It is a lightweight beauty though, and it pairs well with the Romulus.
Eric

View attachment 1825726
I had been using the RR Ti Halo for awhile, but aesthetically it wasn't working for me. Dscosmetics had a sale so I picked up the Ti THT handle since it's a 12mm. I think it dressed up this little razor quite nicely. Kind of disappointed in the knurling as it's not very grippy. Has me wondering if it got smoothed over from the polishing. Anyway this pair has the razor down to a lightweight 54g which places weight wise between my Vector Ti(44g) and the Vector SS(77g)

While I was scrutinizing the fit of the handle, I felt a bit of a roughness on the end of the razor base plate. Initially I thought it was a area that was missed during polishing. Pulled out the camera to get a closeup to see what it was. Out of all the times I've used this razor, I never noticed this before. I guess I'm not as observant as I think I am.
View attachment 1825727
Thanks for posting this. I've been eyeing that handle, and I think your pics helped me decide to get it. The lack of grippiness is unfortunate, but it can't be worse than the stock Romulus handle, right?

Thanks for posting this. I've been eyeing that handle, and I think your pics helped me decide to get it. The lack of grippiness is unfortunate, but it can't be worse than the stock Romulus handle, right?
I think the THT handle gives the Romulus a little bling bling. Since the razor and handle are so lightweight the lack of grippiness isn't much of an issue. Knowing me, I'll not even notice it after a few more shaves. The stock handle was okay, the THT is way nicer.

Ron R

SE SOTD, Friday, April 26th 2024

Razor : Yaqi Romulus 316 SSP SE, 50mm AC type with a Yaqi Chippendale 316 SSP handle. Mfg 2023>, tame mid range. Excellent machining and finish QC for a reasonable price for a Stainless steel razor IMO. I like to use the Kai Captain Titian mild blades and it is the first AC SE razor for what ever reason I can get 8 decent shave with a AC blade, not sure why because using other razors like the Yaqi Excalibur I usually only get 6 shaves per Kai Titian pink or Schick proline blades. Had a close comfortable stellar shave this morning.
Blade : Kai Captain Mild (7) sharp and smooth with excellent longevity for a AC blade type IMO. One of the better performing AC blades I have used for longevity IMO.
Soap : Razorock "The Dead Sea" , very nice addictive enjoyable scented soap that turns my crank with excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi "mysterious space" 24mm timber wolf synthetic knot. Excellent lather generator, luxury cloud like soft tips, nice splay scrubber + excellent lather painter. Great all a round shave brush for most of my shaving needs.
Post shave : Razorock "The dead sea" splash with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : Dial 10 stellar.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Had a close comfortable shave this morning with my Yaqi Romulus AC type razor with a Kai Captain mild blade.
SOTD April 26 2024.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Top Bottom