What's new

YAQI Romulus Polished 316 Stainless AC Blade razor!

It might be the light plus it not being fully cleaned, but I get what you mean. I had this issue with Vector and their team helped me fix it by slightly bending the top cap by applying force to it with my fingers against each far end corner. I think with it being stainless it should be fine by taking some slight bending. Hopefully this helps with your Romulus too.
Thank you for the reply. I will do that bending of the top cap as instructed by @Ron R too.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD, Friday, February 16th 2024

Razor : Yaqi Romulus 316 SSP SE 50mm AC type with a Yaqi Chippendale SSP handle, Mfg 2023>, mild to tame mid range depending on blade or shim used IMO. Excellent machining and finish QC makes for a nice nimble razor to roam my beard.
Had a stellar close comfortable shave this morning.
Blade : Kai Captain Titian mild 50mm (5) sharp and smooth. Very nice blade with reasonable longevity.
Soap : Razorock XXX Fresco, nice unique XXX clean scent with some menthol + excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi " Ever helpful" 22mm 2band badger. Excellent lather generator, pillow like soft tips, nice firm splay scrubber, + excellent lather painter. Great little brush for scrubbing + has a soft tip feel because it has a shorter loft, I like to paint with this brush mostly after a little scrubbing.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Razorock XXX Fresco with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : Dial 10 stellar.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Had a stellar close comfortable shave this morning with my Yaqi Romulus with a Kai Captain titian mild blade.
SOTD Febuaruy 16 2024.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Excellent shave today with my quirky Yaqi Remus. With a Feather protouch he’s the best at taking care of the skin, Rockwell 6S territory. I will try the Remus with a Kai Captain Mild PINK when the blades will get to me.
My favorite handle makes the razor much more maneuverable.
IMG_9439.jpeg

February 17, 2023 Saturday shave

Razor: Yaqi Remus SE (New razor!)
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Mild (1)
Soap: Cella red
Brush: Omega 10049 Professional boar
Post shave: Omega alum block, Thayer's Witch Hazel
Aftershave: Captain's Choice Nor'easter

Today marked the first use of the Yaqi Remus, the matte version of the Romulus. It was also the first use of an AC (Artist Club) blade. This was a three pass shave on 48 hours growth.
The Remus / Kai Captain Titan Mild was surprisingly mild combination. I like this razor. It's just a tad more efficient than the Overlander and delivers a great and easy shave. There was little or no blade feel, but the results were great. It's a keeper!

One micro-weeper, no cuts, no irritation. A very gratifying shave.

Excellent results!

Enjoy your day!

Ron R

SE SOTD, Friday, February 23rd 2024

Razor : Yaqi Romulus 316 SSP with a Yaqi Chippendale 316 SSP (Darwin razor looking handle)- Mfg 2023>, mild to tame mid range depending on blade or shim used. Machining and finish QC are excellent. Small head parts to assemble so I like work on a wash cloth. Had a close comfortable shave this morning.
Blade : Captain titian mild(6) sharp and smoooth with reasonable longevity. Great blade to use in a AC razor IMO.
Soap : Razorock "The Dead Sea", very nice unique scent that has excellent lather properties. On 2nd tub.
Brush : Yaqi "Cavern Lake" 24mm tuxedo knot. Excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, nice splay scrubber + excellent lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Post shave : Razorock The Dead Sea splash with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : Dial 9.5.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Had a close comfortable shave this morning with my Yaqi Romulus, SE, 316 SSP razor with a Kai Captain titian mild blade. Very enjoyable carefree shave, when the Kai blade has a few shave uses it performs well and blade feel is just about right for a great post shave skin feel in comfort IMO.
SOTD Febuaruy 23 2024.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ron R

SE SOTD, February 29th 2024

Razor : Yaqi Romulus SE 316 SSP with a Yaqi Chippendale 316 SSP handle- Mfg 2123, mild to tame mid range depending on blade used or shim. Excellent machining and finish QC for my shaving needs. Small head parts makes me assemble blade on a wash cloth just in case I drop a part. The Romulus razor does have some positive blade exposure but if a person wants a little more blade feel use a Feather pro super or shim it .006-.010" inches works excellent also. I had a close comfortable shave this morning.
Blade : Kai Captain Titian mild(7) sharp and smooth with great longevity. 1st time using this blade past 6 uses for comfortable shaves, last shave I had at 6 uses indicated blade was working well still.
Soap : Cyril R Salter Wild Rose, nice scented rose cream with excellent lather qualities. CRS creams are excellent IMO.
Brush : Yaqi "Mysterious space" 24 mm 3band silvertip badger. Excellent lather generator, luxury pillow like soft tips, gentle splay scrubber + great lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Post shave : Italian barber Amici witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : Dial 10.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Had a close comfortable shave this morning with my Yaqi Romulus SE AC type razor with a Kai Captain Titian blade.
SOTD Febuaruy 29 2024.jpg

Have some great shaves!

SE SOTD, February 29th 2024

Razor : Yaqi Romulus SE 316 SSP with a Yaqi Chippendale 316 SSP handle- Mfg 2123, mild to tame mid range depending on blade used or shim. Excellent machining and finish QC for my shaving needs. Small head parts makes me assemble blade on a wash cloth just in case I drop a part. The Romulus razor does have some positive blade exposure but if a person wants a little more blade feel use a Feather pro super or shim it .006-.010" inches works excellent also. I had a close comfortable shave this morning.
Blade : Kai Captain Titian mild(7) sharp and smooth with great longevity. 1st time using this blade past 6 uses for comfortable shaves, last shave I had at 6 uses indicated blade was working well still.
Soap : Cyril R Salter Wild Rose, nice scented rose cream with excellent lather qualities. CRS creams are excellent IMO.
Brush : Yaqi "Mysterious space" 24 mm 3band silvertip badger. Excellent lather generator, luxury pillow like soft tips, gentle splay scrubber + great lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Post shave : Italian barber Amici witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : View attachment 1804303 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Had a close comfortable shave this morning with my Yaqi Romulus SE AC type razor with a Kai Captain Titian blade.
View attachment 1804304
Have some great shaves!
How would you shim a Romulus?

Ron R

How would you shim a Romulus?
Go to post #134 on this thread and I touch on what I have done to shim a blade. At the moment I use .006 inch shim and it works well by using 3 layers (.002 tape thickness)of scotch tape and just using a craft knife to cut out holes. At the moment I'm on 7 uses with no problems and works well and also I have a spent blade that has been modified by stoning the cutting edge. I have been shimming for years when experimenting on new razors. Yaqi could of opened up the gap but they did not want a more aggressive razor than the Romulus is because most folks like mild to tame mid range razors IMO. You could also buy the Feather pro super blades that are wider and will give more blade exposure or blade feel (Post #106 Feather blade chart), I do not have any Feather super blades so I use a shim for now.

Go to post #134 on this thread and I touch on what I have done to shim a blade. At the moment I use .006 inch shim and it works well by using 3 layers (.002 tape thickness)of scotch tape and just using a craft knife to cut out holes. At the moment I'm on 7 uses with no problems and works well and also I have a spent blade that has been modified by stoning the cutting edge. I have been shimming for years when experimenting on new razors. Yaqi could of opened up the gap but they did not want a more aggressive razor than the Romulus is because most folks like mild to tame mid range razors IMO. You could also buy the Feather pro super blades that are wider and will give more blade exposure or blade feel (Post #106 Feather blade chart), I do not have any Feather super blades so I use a shim for now.
I used a Super in Romulus this morning for cleanup. Very bladey!

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Go easy on your first shave. It is thick and sharp. It might even be too much depending on your razor. I didn't realize it was 20% thicker than the Pro.
Delivery seems to take a while, but is usually faster. 12-15 March, from Sweden to Germany. But it is usually much faster. I wish they would offer alternative shipping options, at least if one orders a lot.

They will cost me 17,37 EUR, the Pro blades only cost 9,99. It's a pity. But then, Schick Proline P-30 that also got recommended to me are not even available for me outside of eBay and international shipping.

Edit: I am not worried about too much blade feel, but then, shaving is always full of surprises.

I shaved with a Excalibr+Titan Pink and a Romulus+Super this morning. While I enjoyed both and they both get you there, the alignment issues made me retire my Excalibur.

Titan Pinks are amazing and they are very mild and smooth in a Romulus, but you don’t get the efficiency you get in the Excalibur. Supers it is! The OC Romulus might be another story, but I don’t have one and don’t intend to buy another AC at this time.

Yaqi needs to make a proper Katana type head for injector blades. It is amazing for such blades already, but also has alignment issues. It shaves like a smaller Excalibur with a Pink. Better yet, make it SS!

Last edited:
Delivery seems to take a while, but is usually faster. 12-15 March, from Sweden to Germany. But it is usually much faster. I wish they would offer alternative shipping options, at least if one orders a lot.

They will cost me 17,37 EUR, the Pro blades only cost 9,99. It's a pity. But then, Schick Proline P-30 that also got recommended to me are not even available for me outside of eBay and international shipping.

Edit: I am not worried about too much blade feel, but then, shaving is always full of surprises.

Are the blades in the UK and Ireland not available in the EU? I have ordered some blades from the UK and IE and both got to me in the USA cheaply and without any drama or surprises. Not paying VAT probably skews things a little in my favor though. Both were much cheaper than a purchase in the USA at the time!

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Are the blades in the UK and Ireland not available in the EU?
The usual no customs, but VAT has to be paid and every t-shirt or literally anything will get charged VAT and handled by customs, the postman will declare I wasn't at home and send me straight to the post office to pay.

It is much easier and cheaper to get stuff from anywhere else.

In general customs are crazy nowadays, but getting things from AliExpress works out nicely except you get shoes or watches and some other stuff, customs usually just lets stuff pass as they collected cash already at departure in China.

It killed executive shaving and other British shops for me. Small private business between UK and EU citizens isn't wanted, apparently.

• Sad
Reactions: Kix
It killed executive shaving and other British shops for me. Small private business between UK and EU citizens isn't wanted, apparently.
It's a shame there isn't some minimal threshold to support basic trade between end users. Bureaucracy and oppressive taxation kills small business starts so, you are only left with the business giants that are politically connected with the financial clout to deal with it, leaving consumers with fewer choices and options.

Those end users voted for it.

Nationalism and trade barriers were a big part of the EU formation. With such diverse nationalities and objectives, overall I am impressed with the EU as a whole.

Bureaucracy seems to be pretty bad overall. Europe has really prospered though with the common market.

Top Bottom