What's new

Wine of the Day - WOTD - 2023

This Rias Baixas Albariño was nice with the seafood cazuelas. I had just a taste, and poured a beer. I’ll get another bottle for the next seafood dinner.

Attachments

• IMG_8995.jpeg
    IMG_8995.jpeg
    1,015.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_8992.jpeg
    IMG_8992.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8994.jpeg
    IMG_8994.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 3
This is absolutely *stunning*:

IMG_1885.jpg

It's the best release of this wine I've ever tasted, including the "Vintage of a Lifetime" 2016. They're not dissimilar, but the '19 is more nervous and sappy; really, really gorgeous.*

I actually visited Produttori and a number of other Piemontese producers toward the end of the summer in 2019, maybe 4 to 6 weeks before harvest. There was cautious optimism about the vintage, but I don't think anyone was thinking it'd turn out as good as it did.

* TBH I don't know if PdB bottled the Crus in 2019. I assume they did, but if they didn't - then that would probably explain some of the exceptional quality here.

Bought a Gamay, albeit from Lorraine and not Beaujolais, to compare to the Beaujolais Nouveau we tasted at Christmas. A bit more sophisticated (low bar!), but pretty light and acidic. I’ll try to find a proper Beaujolais next.

Attachments

• IMG_9043.jpeg
    IMG_9043.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
20231230_195233.jpg

Friedrich Becker, Spätburgunder, 2017

This is the entry level Pinot Noir of this winery, but the Friedrich Becker estate is one of the top 5 Pinot Noir producing estates in Germany. So it doesn't come as a surprise that even this budget friendly wine is a highly enjoyable one which can easily keep up with other high-priced wines.

Super nice.

Cheers 🍷

We are having our celebration meal this Christmas Eve. My daughter is home from University and we are having these two wines, a 1992 Barolo and a 1989 St.Emllion. I purchased these bottles when they were new and I was a student at University myself. I have kept them for a special occasion and now seems as good a time as any. 'Unfortunately' I quit drinking in 2016 so I will not be having any 🤣

View attachment 1769174
I had and enjoyed a bottle or two of that '92 Barolo back in 'those days'

I recall it was good stuff! I did not like Italian wine at all (I really don't think it travels well) but this was excellent.

My wine bibbing days are long past. Nowadays I'm on 5% beer at maximum.

Top Bottom