What's new

Wine of the Day - WOTD - 2024

Does a sparkling wine qualify as well...?

Anyway, it's the first bottle I opened in 2024. New Year's breakfast with friends 😀

20240101_111654-01.jpeg

Winzergenossenschaft Mayschoss Altenahr • ☆☆☆ Cuvée Prestige • Riesling Brut • 2020

An enjoyable sparkling wine from the oldest wine cooperative of the world. Given it's a Brut it offers plenty of elegant and juicy fruit, a mix of red and green apples and some citrus fruits. The acid isn't as bright as I'd hoped for, but again, it's absolutely enjoyable.

Cheers!

View attachment 1773292

Paloma 2010 Merlot. An excellent balance for a CA Merlot, and at or near its peak.

Not a fruit bomb… an elegant drinker that will confuse your tastebuds and scents if you are used to valley floor fruit.
Not a fruit fan myself, but many of the more balanced blends from CA are off-the-hook tasty. Done a good number of tours there while in the bay area for work and always found something amazing.

Does a sparkling wine qualify as well...?

Anyway, it's the first bottle I opened in 2024. New Year's breakfast with friends 😀

View attachment 1773208
Winzergenossenschaft Mayschoss Altenahr • ☆☆☆ Cuvée Prestige • Riesling Brut • 2020

An enjoyable sparkling wine from the oldest wine cooperative of the world. Given it's a Brut it offers plenty of elegant and juicy fruit, a mix of red and green apples and some citrus fruits. The acid isn't as bright as I'd hoped for, but again, it's absolutely enjoyable.

Cheers!
If it does count, I can contribute fairly often!

IMG_4437.jpeg

We enjoy blends of Cab and Cab Franc. Odette is an excellent example, almost the Napa version of Sassicaia but with the Napa taste.

We had a bottle last night which was delightful with some homemade local pasta in a sausage and baby broccoli pan sauce topped with really good, fresh Parmesan.

Your bottle inspired me...
20240109_222824.jpg
20240109_222841.jpg

Chateau de Beaucastel Chateauneuf-du- Pape, 2000

A beautifully matured wine from the southern Rhone in the late autumn of its life. Dark chocolate on the nose and in the mouth, sweet herbs and just a hint of allspice and raisin. Polished tannins, in great balance. Moderate alcohol, at least in context of Ch9dP (13,5 %). Long refined finish.

A pleasure!
Cheers 🍷

Last edited:
20240110_203046-01.jpeg

François Villard ~ Condrieu "De Poncins", 2012

Starts with a dense and layered nose of barrique notes and yellow stone fruit. Gains with increasing temperature. A wonderful mango fruit develops. Characterized by the barrique ageing, full-bodied, salty, firm acid. Still balanced in terms of alcohol.

An impressive Viognier!

20240112_131610.jpeg

Weingut Schäfer-Fröhlich ~ Halenberg GG, 2010

Flint, dirty stone, limes in the nose.
Laser like focus on the palate, lime, pronounced acid, crisp and pretty straight forward minerals intermixed with limes and green apples. Tight. Seductive.
Lingering aftertaste.

Demanding style, but amazing.

Cheers 🍷

20240113_194835.jpeg
Weingut Knipser ~ Spätburgunder ~"Kirschgarten" GG, 2007

Animating nose of sour cherries, woody notes. Allspice, some caramel from barrel ageing. Juicy and fresh attack with sour cherries (sic!) and blackberries. Polished tannins. Dense in the mouth, cherry liqueur and milk chocolate. Polished finish. A tad too strong in alcohol for my taste, at least as a soloist. Way better alcohol integration as an accompaniment to dark meat.

Overall, a delicate Pinot in a typical german style of its time.

Cheers! 🍷

Top Bottom