What's new

Wine of the Day - WOTD - 2024

TheShaun

Bejeweled
Opened a bottle of Galerna last night. The Mrs was out and I was flying solo, so nothing special. I've been enjoying this one as daily driver and have been stocking up. Can be found on sale around me for under $15 CAD

Galerna.jpg

20240204_203458-01.jpeg
Ch. Calon Ségur, Saint-Estèphe, 2006

Ethereal nose with sour cherry and dark tabac, very refined and promising. Ethereal also on the palate, highly elegant and noble, polished, silky tannins. Rich in finesse on the long and vivid finish. Not a blockbuster sort of style, but oh so wonderful.

Cheers🍷

Typical Austrian Grüner Veltliner (Lower Austria, Wachau)
Fresh peppery notes, stone fruits (white peach?), good minerality and acidity. Leaner and more trim than those that grow farther to the south/east.

F3392B2E-603A-466A-80B7-1DB6EF05B691.jpeg

20240211_102038.jpg

Luciano Sandrone ~ Nebbiolo d'Alba "Valmaggiore", 2012

Typical Nebbiolo nose of bright red fruit intermixed with tar and rose, focused and with fresh acidity right out of the gates, even more bright red fruit... Medium bodied. Tannins are present and a tad drying, but not unpleasantly so.

Overall, a well structured wine.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Ethereal nose with sour cherry and dark tabac, very refined and promising. Ethereal also on the palate

I rather suspect you hold the all-time B&B record for number of times "ethereal" is used in a post. :thumbup1:

Typical Austrian Grüner Veltliner (Lower Austria, Wachau)
Fresh peppery notes, stone fruits (white peach?), good minerality and acidity. Leaner and more trim than those that grow farther to the south/east.

I had a G-V wine recently but from the new world (Canada). Not a commonly seen varietal around here, but it was a very enjoyable bottle!

I rather suspect you hold the all-time B&B record for number of times "ethereal" is used in a post. :thumbup1:

I had a G-V wine recently but from the new world (Canada). Not a commonly seen varietal around here, but it was a very enjoyable bottle!
It’s the most grown white in Austria and benefits from a cool climate and spikes in daytime/nighttime temperatures. A couple of years ago there was a small hype and it showed up in London and NYC quite often. Not sure how it is nowadays.

Great to see it also grown outside of Austria. Typically it is grown as a light, fruity yet still acidic showpiece but you can also do a big mighty piece that ages well and hold it’s own against top Rieslings from either Austria or Germany.

C50335C8-7B6A-4CFC-B258-9195807D32CC.jpeg

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
It’s the most grown white in Austria and benefits from a cool climate and spikes in daytime/nighttime temperatures. A couple of years ago there was a small hype and it showed up in London and NYC quite often. Not sure how it is nowadays.

Great to see it also grown outside of Austria. Typically it is grown as a light, fruity yet still acidic showpiece but you can also do a big mighty piece that ages well and hold it’s own against top Rieslings from either Austria or Germany.

This is the winemaker talking about the wine I drank.

I'm more a red wine drinker, but to me most whites are either "like Chardonnay" or "like Riesling", broadly speaking. So, like Gewurztraminer, it's kind of like Riesling to me (but of course there are differences between each too.)

Some photos of the winery:

1707933991884.png

1707935413262.png

1707935492674.png

This is so good! My wife opened it last night (She keeps reaching for this Sonoma producer!) and I thought I would have a small taste tonight. It’s amazing. Cabernet, Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, and Merlot.

Attachments

• IMG_0300.jpeg
    IMG_0300.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
Anyone else do something so stupid as I did tonight?

I drank a 2003 Beaucastel Chateneuf du Pape ($50-60 on release) with my adult son. All good. My wife is out at an event, so let’s drink the good stuff.

We decided to grab another bottle. Brutally corked. I mean textbook wet cardboard. Undrinkable.

I grab the bottle behind it and pull the cork. Distracted by the hockey game.

Oops! It is a 2003 Beaucastel Hommage a Jacques Perrin. I paid $250-ish a bottle for this maybe 15 years ago. It is a $2000+ bottle at a fancy restaurant at least.

I just have to say….. AAAAAAGGGGHHHHHH

Thanks for listening!

IMG_7386.jpeg

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Super random buy (only grabbed it because of the cheap price tag), not a ‘love’ by any means but when drinking it fairly cold it was good with a croque monsieur.

View attachment 1796440
I generally like PNW Chardonnay. It lacks that strong buttery characteristic of California Chardonnays (which I find weird, distracting, and off-putting), and, as a result, can come across much closer to a white Burgundy (which is often cost prohibitive). For a reasonable price for a pretty nice bottle, I like Stoller. Cheers.

Saved the good stuff 'til last.

Well, how was it? Bitter, much like the experience of unintentionally opening it?

🍷
It was excellent. Still can go for years. Just not a wine I would normally open with my 26 year old beer drinking son! He thought it was “pretty good”. 🤬

Anyone else do something so stupid as I did tonight?

I drank a 2003 Beaucastel Chateneuf du Pape ($50-60 on release) with my adult son. All good. My wife is out at an event, so let’s drink the good stuff.

We decided to grab another bottle. Brutally corked. I mean textbook wet cardboard. Undrinkable.

I grab the bottle behind it and pull the cork. Distracted by the hockey game.

Oops! It is a 2003 Beaucastel Hommage a Jacques Perrin. I paid $250-ish a bottle for this maybe 15 years ago. It is a $2000+ bottle at a fancy restaurant at least.

I just have to say….. AAAAAAGGGGHHHHHH

Thanks for listening!

View attachment 1803522
Sounds like an amazing bottle!

20240303_143823-01.jpeg

Georg Mosbacher ~ Ungeheuer GG, 2011

Excellent wine tonight. This Riesling Grand Cru shows all the characteristics which can be expected from an Ungeheuer, a vineyard in the village of Forst, Palatina (Germany):
A sophisticated nose (pineapple and wet stone), an animating and complex taste and a long aftertaste. All components were super balanced, the acid is perfectly integrated.

This bottle won't last long...

Cheers!

Top Bottom