What's new

Wilkonson Swords

Glad I read this... I was just thinking of ordering some Wilkinson Sword blades, and now I'm not sure of what's what.

I get mine at a convenience store, in packaging like this:

View attachment 592043

...but none of the bulk packs online look like this. I've been seeing white plastic with white labels, white plastic with black labels, and now, the ones the OP really likes, which are totally different from those - and totally different from mine!

Looks like we need a Wilkinson Sword expert to sort this out...

Those are the ones made in USA. EDIT* My mistake... they are made in GERMANY for the US market.
Quite common in drugstores and at Bed Bath + Beyond. Still not a bad blade in my book, I'm not sure which manufacturing plant they use.

Last edited:
And then there is.......

proxy.php

Those are the ones made in USA. Quite common in drugstores and at Bed Bath + Beyond. Still not a bad blade in my book, I'm not sure which manufacturing plant they use.

All of the modern black case and white case blades I've seen are made in Germany. Other than package differences, I don't believe there is any difference in the blades themselves.

Not that I've had the chance to try them, but there is one other variety that has been missed in the discussion thus far:
proxy.php

All of the modern black case and white case blades I've seen are made in Germany. Other than package differences, I don't believe there is any difference in the blades themselves.

Not that I've had the chance to try them, but there is one other variety that has been missed in the discussion thus far:
proxy.php

Yes, my mistake. I was reading the wrong part of the packaging.

Now... what are those beauties?! I haven't seen the blue and gold packaging before.

Now... what are those beauties?! I haven't seen the blue and gold packaging before.

According to Shaving.ie, "Wilkinson Sword Economie have been a favourite with barber's throughout europe due to their balanced performance and cost effective price."

They appear to be the lowest cost option from Wilkinson. I haven't really seen them discussed around here. Probably because they don't seem to be widely available.

I'd say it's your lucky day. Those are the English version. And Gillette blue blades? Now you're just showing off! Go hug the friend that gave you those blades.
View attachment 591969

I noticed the made in England yesterday when I popped one into my razor. No friend to hug, I bought them for $7 when I bought the black beauty. I think there was was 4 blue blades, but one of them has some rust on the corner, so I was only able to use 3. We'll see how many shaves I get from the Wilkinsons.

Glad I read this... I was just thinking of ordering some Wilkinson Sword blades, and now I'm not sure of what's what.

I get mine at a convenience store, in packaging like this:

View attachment 592043

...but none of the bulk packs online look like this. I've been seeing white plastic with white labels, white plastic with black labels, and now, the ones the OP really likes, which are totally different from those - and totally different from mine!

Looks like we need a Wilkinson Sword expert to sort this out...

I ordered mine from Connaught shaving http://connaughtshaving.com/wilkinson.html and it's in bulk (tower format, not display cards) and has the same exact packaging pictured for the individual tucks.

Wilkinson Sword blades work very well for me too.
The Vintage made in England are just outrageous (the best IMO)
The German made Wilkies are top notch, sharp and smooth.

+1. My only experience is with the German Wilkinson Swords. VERY NICE BLADES. Definitely in the running for top 3 in my den! :thumbup1::thumbup1:

Talk about YMMV. I have only used the German made ones in a mild razor and had nothing but a rough shave with tons of irritation!

I used both the Gillette Wilkinson Sword versions - the Saloon pack and plain blue/white wrapper pack. Good blades, last me about 5 to 6 shaves. Quite cheap as well. Would like to try the German version someday but I'm happy with these two at the moment.

Wilkinson Sword blades work very well for me too.
The Vintage made in England are just outrageous (the best IMO)
The German made Wilkies are top notch, sharp and smooth.

+1. The German Wilkis are definitely in my rotation. Great blades IMO.

Just had my first shave with the black box Wilkinson Sword blades today. It was smooth, and I really enjoyed it. Hair has grown back a little quicker than it does with a feather, so not quite as close perhaps, but definitely worth using in those occasional instances smoothness is a must. Cheap enough at 25 pence for 5 blades.

Which type of Wilkinsons did you get? I know of three current production facilities- Old stock used to be made in England.

If I'm not mistaken...

The blades in the black plastic dispenser are made in the U.S.
The blades in the white plastic dispenser are made in Germany.
The mostly blue and white cardboard package is from India.
Then there's the "Saloon" pack which is red white and blue, also from Inda.

Thanks. I have been getting good/great results using Gernan (white) WS in my Wolfman SB. Excellent blades IMO.

I recently found my original Slim and a packet of the English Wilkinsons; abandoned when I went to cartridges in the late 70's.
I also scored some English Wilkinsons in an eBay deal.

Now that I have learnt the error of my ways and returned to the DE fold, I have used them in my 2011 R41.

In a 2011 R41 they are a good blade but no better than several others and their famed longevity simply is not evident in this razor.

Top Bottom