What's new

White or Black?

White or Black?

• White

Votes: 14 58.3%
  • Black

Votes: 10 41.7%

• Total voters
I’m having a really hard time deciding. . .

IMG_2817.jpeg

IMG_2818.jpeg

Nothing in the world looks sharper than a clean, black vehicle.

Unfortunately, this lasts all of about 5 minutes. For clarity, I drive a black Nissan Rogue. Before that, I had a black Xterra. My Dad currently drives a white Murano (really not sure when/how we became a Nissan family...). Personally, I can't think of ever seeing a white vehicle that has gotten me excited. Despite it being a "safer" choice.

Nothing in the world looks sharper than a clean, black vehicle.

Unfortunately, this lasts all of about 5 minutes. For clarity, I drive a black Nissan Rogue. Before that, I had a black Xterra. My Dad currently drives a white Murano (really not sure when/how we became a Nissan family...). Personally, I can't think of ever seeing a white vehicle that has gotten me excited. Despite it being a "safer" choice.
That's right where I am. I currently drive an old black Highlander (which we will be keeping). Everything in the world says that white is more practical. Stays looking cleaner, shows scratches less, higher visibility, doesn't get as hot (and I live in a hot state by the beach). Yet the black is just so sharp.

Honestly, at the end of the day, I think the "practicality" is really a minor consideration. This is still a vehicle with a lot of windows. The inside is going to bake if it's parked out in the sun - regardless of the paint color. You're not very likely to get inside a hot vehicle and think "Dammit - if I'd gotten that white one, this would be 5% cooler" or whatever it is. If you're in a wreck, the role of color in that incident will again be a minor factor. You're not going to be listed as at fault just because your car was black and was less noticeable than a white car.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I’m having a really hard time deciding. . .

View attachment 1807555

View attachment 1807556
Where do you live? That may answer some considerations. The dealer sign says Orlando. So I'll guess Florida.

A black car is the standard classic color. But it among the hottest, next to red, in the sun. Red is by far the worst color for absorbing heat, but black paint gets darn hot in the sun.

And it is almost impossible to keep a black car clean. I know, I own two of them. If you like a clean daily driver, be prepared to spend more on detailing and washing with one.

MB themselves did a study 30-40 years ago, and determined that white is the safest exterior vehicle color. It is the easiest to see on the road, day and night. It is also one of the classic colors. And it will be among the coolest, excluding interior materials absorption.

White, in non pearlescent or metallics, is also among the easiest to blend when sprayed in the body shop. But black is not bad either. The problem with modern blacks is most of them are metallics, and that is much harder to blend on repaints. And the directional casting differences in the metallic applications will show more on a darker base color, too.

However, I was told by several Texans, including a couple family members, that while white will be cooler and not heat up the interior so much as darker colors, it will also reflect more sun through the windshield, and into your face. So it is not unheard of to catch a sunburn from driving a white vehicle down there too long, as some old FedEx drivers down there may attest to. Sunglasses can give you that interesting "white spots" look.

Whether Florida sun is anywhere near as 'bright' as Texas sun can be, you will need to figure out.

Tinted glass only helps so much with those things, and with keeping the sun off the dash and seats. And there are legal considerations in some places once you start over tinting, not to mention night driving concerns. Generally speaking, a black on black car down there is probably going to be like driving an oven.

All that said, from a classic appearance perspective, you cannot go wrong with either black or white. Both will look classic 10 or 50 years from now. Better than late 80s Ford aquamarine or a two-tone flamingo pink '56 one (unless you're planning on car showing one).

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I'll just add about the cars themselves, Mrs. C drives the predecessor version of that platform. I am very familiar with it. Generally, they are pretty solid. Keep up with fluid changes on them, especially for the transmission, and you should get 200,000 plus easily out of one. Don't cheap out on the quality of the fluids used. MB has its own engine oil specs for a reason.

But unless something has dramatically changed on them, they are confirmed "tire-eaters", especially in 4-Matic trim. The wrong set of tires on one will be chewed up in under 10,000 miles on one. It's a heavy vehicle that leans extra heavily on its tires for some reason.

I like the Michelins on the Black one over the Pirellis on the other. But having gone through many sets of tires on ours, the best tire on that platform without question the Michelin Defender LTX M/S XL. Does everything right, and wears like iron. This is a $1,300 set of tires. This vehicle is not like the usual SUV/crossover in that regard.

The other thing is, I hope they resolved the key fob receiver weakness on them. Our last starting battery replacement was a $4,000 dealer affair, as the change out is prone to blowing them out. They also have a little battery in the back on many of them that also has to be replaced.

Find a strong MB independent once it's out of warranty, as they are usually better at spinning the wrenches on these than the dealer folk. Although you may have to crawl back to the dealer for some specialized computer diagnostics, as MB won't share their Star system with the field too much.

Good luck in which ever one you choose.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Have two, both white!! Had a couple of black cars (my wife loves black colored cars), but its a true pita to keep them looking nice and clean. White is much easier to look longer clean. My favorite color is a darker platinum grey metallic, but the wife hates this color....so, white is the compromise for us. Any color is crap when the maples pollinate, everything is yellow green....

Practicality says white, for all the reasons stated above. However, I just can’t get on board with white cars, especially ones as boxy as this. They look like household appliances. There’s a reason grey and silver are so popular too!

I have a black suv now and although it looks sharp, it is constantly dirty. My wife has the GLE in a darkish gray and that stays fairly clean (I know that wasn't a choice but just fyi). Either way they are both beuatiful looking vehicles, enjoy it and congrats. I would recommend the extended warranty if you plan on keeping it, mine has paid for itself already, these cars are pricey to service.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Recently purchased a smaller SUV in white. Liked so many things about the vehicle except the colour. It wasn’t a deal breaker and it’s growing on me. Noticing plenty of other white cars on the road now that I own one.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have a Mercedes A180 and I let the wife choose the specification and the colour as I could not care less about cars. I dislike cars and particularly dislike driving them. In 40 years of driving I have never had a car serviced and never washed my car or had it washed. The idea that one colour looks sharp and another does not seems comical to me. That said, the Mercedes is nice enough but it holds no value to me and I get no enjoyment from it, I would much prefer it if I did not need a car at all. If it matters to you then pick the one you like is my advice 😀

Voted black. Not a fan of white, too many. May be easier to get looking good but hard to get looking spectacular. Seems like 90% of cars today are white too.

Legion

Staff member
Have two, both white!! Had a couple of black cars (my wife loves black colored cars), but its a true pita to keep them looking nice and clean. White is much easier to look longer clean. My favorite color is a darker platinum grey metallic, but the wife hates this color....so, white is the compromise for us. Any color is crap when the maples pollinate, everything is yellow green....
Take a sample of the pollen to the paint shop, they should be able to match it. Problem solved! :001_tongu

Top Bottom