What's new

Buffing wheel, dremel, or hand sanding?

What do most people do to clean tarnish and rust from a straight razor? I've seen people use large bench style buffers, dremel tools, and simply hand sanding. What are the pros and cons to each?

I have a Caswell 1100 RPM buffer and a variable speed dremel and while both have had some effect, it's not really enough. I have the Caswell black, green, and white compounds using spiral sewn cotton wheels for the black and loose cotton wheels for both the green and white. While it certainly does have some effect there is still a lot of tarnish that is not coming out. Should I start out hand sanding with a lower grit paper then move to the buffer only when I'm ready to put a nice polished finish on the blade? If so, what grits should I be using? Also, what specific brands of paper would be recommended?

Thanks!

First, restoration begins at purchase. Buy razors in the best condition you can afford.

Yes, you can often restore a rusted, pitted eBay beater, but you are going to have to put in some time grinding away all the pitting. Note, you do not remove pitting, you remove all the other steel down past the level of the deepest pit.

For most razors you will dramatically improve a finish, by hand sanding a razor with 600 grit quality paper. The brand of paper does not matter that much as long as it is quality paper, I like Rhynowet and Matador.

The trick with hand sanding is to switch to a new piece of wet and dry when it stops cutting. Wet and dry is cheap, cut into 3-inch pieces and use a wine cork as a backer. Roll the paper to a fresh part when it stops cutting, then switch to another side, with a 3-inch piece and 1.5-inch cork backer you have 4 fresh pieces of paper, and you can use all the grit on the paper.

From 600 grit you can develop a nice polish with Green Stainless compound with a sewn 4-inch wheel. From 600 grit you will quickly see if you need a more aggressive sanding from a 600-grit finish. If needed drop down in grit, then run back up the grits in progression and finish on the buffer.

You can develop a polish using a progression of greaseless and aggressive greased compounds, but it is very easy to wipe out all detail, etching, stamps and crisp corners with aggressive buffing.

Also, if you want a higher finish, you can sand with grits up to 2k and lapping film and buff on red rouge on felt wheels, a lot of work.

You can use, and I have seen some very nice restorations with Dremel’s. But at high speeds and the small contact area it is easy to do more damage, at high speed they can be dangerous. Almost every one that has used a Dremel on a razor has ruined one or scared the crape out of themselves, when it ripped it from their hands.

I only use Dremel’s with small radial wheels for cleaning tangs between the scales and jimps, which it does very well.

For buffers I have a low-speed Baldor and high-speed Harbor Freight. I use 4-inch wheels with green Stainless Steel compound and 6-inch loose wheel with Zam, white or blue greased compound. Finish on a clean, lose 6-inch wheel. Buy quality wheel, they do make a difference, Castwells.

In short there is a place for all 3, hand sanding, Dremel and bench buffers and cotton wheels, it all depends on the quality of finish you are after, how much time you want to put in and your skill and amount of safety you are willing to accept. You can easily cut yourself hand sanding, put a straight razor on a spinning high-speed wheel is asking for it to be ripped from your hand.

Out of high school I spent a summer working with a professional house painter. That man could lay down a perfect finish with a China bristle paint brush. I quickly learned that 95% of finish, is in the preparation, not the finish.

Legion

Staff member
I hand sand, but I'm not too fussed with getting rid of every bit of patina off vintage blades.

I've seen too many razors ruined with Dremels (done it myself). Happens in a blink of an eye with the slightest laps in concentration, and if you are LUCKY you will only break the blade and not yourself.

Restoration starts when you start to restore.

Buy what you want. Me, personally, i buy basket cases because they are cheaper usually and I don't care what cork sniffing elitists have to say about the final product. These shanks are just razors; I use them to take hair off my face. That's it.
So if it shaves and isn't covered in rust and oozing with gunk, I'm usually good to go.

Most fine compounds are not going to remove much material.
Chromox, for example, usually falls into the category of .5 µm abrasives. You are not going to remove much oxidation with that. It's just a polishing compound.
Most of use trying to use a wheel to do that sort of work resort to greaseless compounds. 80x grit for example. To get mirror polish you'll need a progression of grits. Then follow with green, white, etc.
A wheel on a dremel is the same - just smaller.

I don't like the effect of greaseless, so I do hand sanding till I am satisfied and then maybe polish with rouge.

I hand sand with paper progression, then buff on a 4" wheel with white or green compound. None of mine are mirror-finish beauty queens...just solid Ebay users that look decent when I'm done.

My beauty queens are either new(ish), or fully restored by someone else...that knows what they're doing. 😄

Top Bottom