What's new

1Stone Green Shadow experiences

Hey guys! Long time forum lurker. I recently registered so I could further interact after I developed enough skill set to not waste anyone’s time with novice questions that were easily answered by just searching.

I have noticed some talk but never any in-depth discussion of the 1Stone Green Shadow. I have been transitioning my hard black ark and my Black Shadow as a finisher. I picked up a package of 6x2” Green and Black Shadow stones from Griffiths and after reading 1Stones website they indicated that the progession is Black Shadow prior to the Green.

Does anyone have any advice on what grit diamond plate or wd paper I could use on the Green Shadow to appropriately flatten when that time comes? 1Stone recommended using 120 grit to remove the initial polish but that seems rather coarse.

Really I am just trying to gather any experiences people have with this particular slate hone.

Thanks folks!

Eben Stone

Staff member
1Stones website they indicated that the progession is Black Shadow prior to the Green
I'm glad you mentioned this. I've never actually checked 1stone.fr because it loads so slowly for me it's almost unbearable. But I finally read through the pages on the black and green shadows. Solved a lot of confusion for me.

I've noticed a lot of typos and just general mis-information on both Griffiths and Sharpening Supplies websites. Both those sites, on specific pages, seem to indicate the black is finer than the green. Very confusing.

I'm glad you mentioned this. I've never actually checked 1stone.fr because it loads so slowly for me it's almost unbearable. But I finally read through the pages on the black and green shadows. Solved a lot of confusion for me.

I've noticed a lot of typos and just general mis-information on both Griffiths and Sharpening Supplies websites. Both those sites, on specific pages, seem to indicate the black is finer than the green. Very confusing.

I read through anything available, which was essentially just the resources you listed. I figured 1Stone was the end all of progression discussion. I just wonder if they meant 1200 instead of 120 for initial prep. The provided stone causes scratches in mine and I’d like to smooth it. I used the rubbing stone to try to resurface but it hasn’t removed all.

Attachments

• B499CB2E-5076-4861-A5A6-002D2E105B93.jpeg
    B499CB2E-5076-4861-A5A6-002D2E105B93.jpeg
    809.7 KB · Views: 16
I will say this. If you are patient and work under running water, the resulting edge for me has been very keen and smooth. The two razors I have finished are TI 5/8 188.

I actually had to polish one of them requiring it to be honed again and I took it all the way on a coticule, thick slurry diluted until I finished under running water. I’m excited to see how the edge feels.

W&D, definitely.
Excellent, thank you for this info. I used SiC powder to flatten and dress my Vermont green and I didn’t use the provided stone prior to use. So as you can imagine, a few rogue pieces of SiC caused a series of tiny micro chips that took me some time to remove. Lesson learned.

I’ll try w/d and see what resulting surface occurs.

So after experimenting with this stone, I have found a slurry progression that seems to work effectively.

On the warranty certificate of the la lune it indicates to make a thick slurry and perform 30 laps. Dilute the slurry by 50%, perform another 30 laps. Wash the stone and perform 30 laps with straight or running water. Another 30 laps can be performed with glycerin or another thin oil to further hone. That is a total of 90 laps, or 120 with the glycerin/oil progression added.

I applied this slurry technique to the Green Shadow with excellent results followed by 25 laps on my Illinois Razor Co 827 strop.

My slate progression went as such:

La Lune slurry progression (90 laps)
Black Shadow slurry progression (90 laps)
Green Shadow slurry progression (90 laps)
Illinois Razor Co 827 (25 laps)

The resulting edge is keen and comfortable.

Hope this helps anyone seeking information on the Green Shadow hone. Hopefully I will be able to post pictures of the edge through the progressions soon.

Top Bottom