What's new

Alternatives to Proraso Green

I've bought a tub of Proraso green and...wow, it's...an interesting experience. I have enjoyed the cooling sensation and it seems to help as a pre-lather option. It tends to overpower any of the TOBs shaving creams though, which makes me a bit sad as I was enjoying them immensely as part of the experience. I'm sure I'll get through the Proraso over time but are there any alternatives folks would recommend before using TOBs that don't overpower the scent?

Thanks!

If you're using Proraso tub soap as a pre-shave stop that and use the actual Proraso pre-shave product instead.

If you're using Proraso tub soap as a pre-shave stop that and use the actual Proraso pre-shave product instead.

I’m using the pre-shave product…

I’m using the pre-shave product…

Ahh ok. I suggest the white sensitive skin pre shave instead of the green.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
These days, I shave in the shower. I use regular soap as a pre-shave that I will rinse off before I start building any lather.

If I'm not shaving in the shower, it's usually a shower before I shave anyway. Again, I use regular soap when I jump in and rinse it off last before I end the shower. I then move to the sink and start building lather.

Proraso is an interesting product but I see what you mean by overpowering. You could always do the hot towel as prep. If I do that, I take a bit longer to shave. I'm not in any hurry these days so it works well!

I tried a few of those pre-shave glycerin soaps. I did not notice much of a difference between them versus a regular bar of soap. I use unscented soap so that helps with the shaving soap.

You shouldn't need a preshave product if using a quality lather and you are familiar with the razor/blade combo.

TOBS (cream) is a good one. So if you are getting bad shaves, it's technique or user error. Sometimes it just takes time and experience. Usually, it takes more product (use more cream).

I shave after a shower. That's my prep. If you want to do any sort of special wash, do it, then rinse it off before lathering.

My stance on preshave products may not be a popular one, but I consider them a crutch for bad technique or poor lather making ability.

Last edited:
You can just use an unscented or mildly scented glycerin soap. They are usually under $2 per bar. For example: Neutrogena, Whole Foods Market Aloe Vera soap, etc. Or, you can use an unscented shaving cream. Rinse most of it off and leave your face wet, then lather over it.

The Proraso pre-shave creams are okay. Totally unnecessary for a good shave though. To me they make more sense for a guy coming off the street into a barber shop that needs a hot towel treatment + pre-shave before the barber goes to work.

If you are shaving at home, a warm water face wash or a shower should be sufficient prep in most cases. In the winter I use a small amount of Jojoba oil as a pre-shave, but nothing else.

Agreed that TOBS creams are reliable performers and as good as anything I've tried.

You shouldn't need a preshave product if using a quality lather and you are familiar with the razor/blade combo.

TOBS (cream) is a good one. So if you are getting bad shaves, it's technique or user error. Sometimes it just takes time and experience. Usually, it takes more product (use more cream).

I shave after a shower. That's my prep. If you want to do any sort of special wash, do it, then rinse it off before lathering.

My stance on preshave products may not be a popular one, but I consider them a crutch for bad technique or poor lather making ability.
@calgarychris , good advice here. My prep is similar with just a regular soap and water face wash prior to shaving to remove oils and dirt that can interfere with lather effectiveness and add to blade wear.

Top Bottom