What's new

Whisky - another help pick.

I'll keep a eye out for it.

I looked at a couple of NZ whiskeys that are said to be good but their price is more than some of the good Scotch whisky.

$169 for a 350ml New Zealand single malt.:huh: I'm intrigued but not that much at the moment.

View attachment 786159

@cleanshaved
proxy.php

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I found this in my invoice funny.

"Congratulations on being smart enough to recognise a great deal when you see it.

Take a quick peek at your order details below. If anything seems amiss, don't hesitate to contact us. We're whisky experts, not accounting experts so mistakes do happen - even by the one sober bloke that does our book keeping"

I found this in my invoice funny.

"Congratulations on being smart enough to recognise a great deal when you see it.

Take a quick peek at your order details below. If anything seems amiss, don't hesitate to contact us. We're whisky experts, not accounting experts so mistakes do happen - even by the one sober bloke that does our book keeping"

Bloody good one @cleanshaved and I can see why the book keeping loves his whisky so much.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
My bottles were delivered yesterday. It was hard but I sat them aside for today.
Today I paid the mortgage off and the whisky was my treat to celebrate.

Anyway I'm posting after giving it a nudge, so excuse the waffling on. :)

First up to be opened was the Redbreast. Very nice well balanced spicy, creamy and fruity. This is a nice smooth drink and very enjoyable drink.

I had one dram of the redbreast and then poured myself some Talisker 10 year.
First up was the smoke. I've not had a whisky that taste like this before.
I got the peat smoke up front with a fruit sweetness behind it. The more I sip this one the more I started to like it.

How does the Talisker 10 compare to say Ardbeg 10?

anyway here's a veiw through my whisky googles. The ANZAC test is about to start, time to pour another Redbreast. Slàinte

20170505_202814.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_1305.JPG
My bottles were delivered yesterday. It was hard but I sat them aside for today.
Today I paid the mortgage off and the whisky was my treat to celebrate.

Anyway I'm posting after giving it a nudge, so excuse the waffling on. :)

First up to be opened was the Redbreast. Very nice well balanced spicy, creamy and fruity. This is a nice smooth drink and very enjoyable drink.

I had one dram of the redbreast and then poured myself some Talisker 10 year.
First up was the smoke. I've not had a whisky that taste like this before.
I got the peat smoke up front with a fruit sweetness behind it. The more I sip this one the more I started to like it.

anyway here's a veiw through my whisky googles. The ANZAC test is about to start, time to pour another Redbreast. Slàinte

View attachment 786907

Congratulations again on paying of the mortgage. Glad you are enjoying the Talisker (it's one of my go to malts... along with Lagavulin 16). Ardbeg is smokier than Talisker again..

Thanks for reminder about the test match.. I don't usually watch league (more a union fan) but am looking forward to watching this match. It seemed as good an occasion as any to crack open this South Australian single malt I bought early last year and have just finished Batch 003 of. Enjoy your evening.. Go the Kangaroo's! :001_smile

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
View attachment 786913

Congratulations again on paying of the mortgage. Glad you are enjoying the Talisker (it's one of my go to malts... along with Lagavulin 16). Ardbeg is smokier than Talisker again..

Thanks for reminder about the test match.. I don't usually watch league (more a union fan) but am looking forward to watching this match. It seemed as good an occasion as any to crack open this South Australian single malt I bought early last year and have just finished Batch 003 of. Enjoy your evening.. Go the Kangaroo's! :001_smile

Cheers mate, I'm a union man as well but the big games like this are a must watch.
Go the Kiwi's. :a17:

SC French Oak is a cracking dram Speedy but I dare say my shaving supplies budget would be cut considerably if I put one of those in my shopping cart.

@EPfarnie I'm dying for another bottle of the SC French Oak, because I've only got one bottle left and I have about 45% left over. I've bought two bottles about 6 years ago before the price went up like crazy, and it's very very limited of bottles left at the moment which means we have to wait for god knows how many more years before it go back on the market again.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I poured myself another Talisker........ Final verdict, nice whisky but the league sucks. :surrender: Stupid game.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

Different.

But they have one thing in common ... they are "out there" scotches, unlike those from other regions. Kind of like comparing super-hot-wings to Thai curry ... if you can't stand the heat of one, don't bother with the other, but if you enjoy the heat of one, you should try ... and will probably like ... the other.

For you, any scotch from Islay (other than Bowmore ... Bowmore seems to IMHO somewhat suck) will likely appeal to you.

Another vote for Highland Park 12. My current favorite Scotch. So much so that my bottle is almost gone and I've been saving the rest. There is some peat there but not too much. Definitely nothing like my Laphroaig 10, which I also enjoy, but need to be in the mood for.

I also like the Glenmorangie 10 quite a bit and am currently out of it. I think I will replace it with the Balvenie 12 year DoubleWood. I had some of that at a local restaurant and enjoyed it.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I almost ordered a full size bottle of Talisker 10 after finishing my wee little bottle but wanted to try something else. Talisker 10 will be ordered again at a later time.
Highland Park 12 did not make my first pick last month but had peaked my interest and have ordered a bottle.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
HP-12 instead of Talisker ... not-damned if you do, not-damned if you don't ...

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
HP-12 instead of Talisker ... not-damned if you do, not-damned if you don't ...

I kept reading good things about HP-12, so it won out in the end.
Lagavulin 16 done the in the basket, out of the basket dance. There's always another day to get that one.

I kept reading good things about HP-12, so it won out in the end.
Lagavulin 16 done the in the basket, out of the basket dance. There's always another day to get that one.

Luckily the whisky world appears to be quite buoyant at the moment. It may be difficult to find your favourite dram discounted, but on the other hand there is probably little chance of a loved distillery being mothballed in the current climate.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I don't drink a lot of whisky, so would like to seek the advice of the speakeasy for my next bottle. Price point is mid range, with a few of what I'm considering below.
In a few weeks time I'll be breaking the mortgage and paying it in full. Now you get the idea, I would like to mark the day with a nice dram or two. :)

My whisky drinking history is not large but these are a few of what I have had so far.
There have been others but names didn't stick and others were blends so not what I'm looking for now.

Glenfiddich 10 many years ago, if I recall it was ok but that was all.
Glenmorangie 10, nice if I recall correctly but it was when drinking fast was the way for me, so may have been wasted on me then. Maybe time to revisit.
Bruichladdich 15 year. Now I can not recall exactly which one but it was very nice. I would say it may be the one I enjoyed the most. This bottle was gifted to me by a good friend when he visited Scotland.
Dalwhinnie 15 year. This is the last bottle I had and like it a lot.

These are what I'm contemplating. Not sure how far from the taste of Dalwhinne I want to go on the next bottle. Maybe of similar ilk but with a bit more, if that make sense.

Cardhu 12 or 15 year.
Glenmorangie 10 for a revisit by a more mature drinker or Glenmorangie 18 years.
Ardbeg 10 year. I'm a bit hesitant, as unsure of going with a peat monster, given my current likes it may be a too bigger step. Thoughts?

Redbreast 12 year Irish Whiskey also has my interest.

So what ya' say.
Congratulations Chris, I paid mine off on 08APR. Feels good, doesn't it?

Top Bottom