What's new

Whisky - another help pick.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I don't drink a lot of whisky, so would like to seek the advice of the speakeasy for my next bottle. Price point is mid range, with a few of what I'm considering below.
In a few weeks time I'll be breaking the mortgage and paying it in full. Now you get the idea, I would like to mark the day with a nice dram or two. :)

My whisky drinking history is not large but these are a few of what I have had so far.
There have been others but names didn't stick and others were blends so not what I'm looking for now.

Glenfiddich 10 many years ago, if I recall it was ok but that was all.
Glenmorangie 10, nice if I recall correctly but it was when drinking fast was the way for me, so may have been wasted on me then. Maybe time to revisit.
Bruichladdich 15 year. Now I can not recall exactly which one but it was very nice. I would say it may be the one I enjoyed the most. This bottle was gifted to me by a good friend when he visited Scotland.
Dalwhinnie 15 year. This is the last bottle I had and like it a lot.

These are what I'm contemplating. Not sure how far from the taste of Dalwhinne I want to go on the next bottle. Maybe of similar ilk but with a bit more, if that make sense.

Cardhu 12 or 15 year.
Glenmorangie 10 for a revisit by a more mature drinker or Glenmorangie 18 years.
Ardbeg 10 year. I'm a bit hesitant, as unsure of going with a peat monster, given my current likes it may be a too bigger step. Thoughts?

Redbreast 12 year Irish Whiskey also has my interest.

So what ya' say.

The only drink on your "potential" list which may be a disappointment is Ardbeg and for the reason which you have already mentioned. Any of the others are good, reliable drinks and I would probably lean towards Redbreast for that "something different".

Nice work on getting the house paid off!

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
The only drink on your "potential" list which may be a disappointment is Ardbeg and for the reason which you have already mentioned. Any of the others are good, reliable drinks and I would probably lean towards Redbreast for that "something different".

Nice work on getting the house paid off!

Thanks David.
I may need to work my way towards the Ardbeg, maybe I need to find a bar or restaurant that has it and just get a glass.

Redbreast sounds like a need to try for me in the near future if not now, the only other Irish Whiskey I have had is Jameson.

I'd recommend Benromach 10, more complex than Glenfiddich or Glenmorangie with a hint of peat. I also love Old Pulteney 12.. malty, like warm buttered toast with a touch of lemon zing and salt. As David has said Ardbeg can be unapproachable if you are not used to peat... for a gentler introduction to peat Talisker 10 is a great drop (Lagavulin 16 is smokier than Talisker and is one of my all time favourites).

Another vote for Redbreast. It cannot be compared to run of the mill Jameson.
If you're looking for a Scotch comparison, I would compare it to The Balvenie "Doublewood" scotch. Similar fruity and slightly smoky flavors. In fact, Irish Whisky -- specifically Bushmill's Black -- was my personal "gateway" to Scotch. Redbreast is a step above Black Bush, being smoother with a hint of fruit and honey and a more complex finish.

I agree that Ardbeg is a bit of a jump in the deep end... but oh, the waters so good! It would definitely be worth trying a dram at a bar first...

I could throw tonnes of other names at you, but since you are interested in the Glenmorangie 10(which is a lovely dram) you may want to look at some of their other bottlings. The Quinta Ruban and the Lasanta are both really nice, and are I believe not super expensive. The Nectar D'Or is also really great, but a bit pricier. All three of those are 12 year olds, and each is finished in a different cask, meaning that they'll age them an extra bit of time in a port, sherry or wine cask, so the scotch takes on a bit of the essence of those casks...

If you go with the redbreast try to find the 12 year Cask Strength. Hard to beat that in an Irish in my opinion

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Redbreast is becoming more intriguing.

I'd recommend Benromach 10, more complex than Glenfiddich or Glenmorangie with a hint of peat. I also love Old Pulteney 12.. malty, like warm buttered toast with a touch of lemon zing and salt. As David has said Ardbeg can be unapproachable if you are not used to peat... for a gentler introduction to peat Talisker 10 is a great drop (Lagavulin 16 is smokier than Talisker and is one of my all time favourites).

Thanks, the Benromach 10 sounds good.

I agree that Ardbeg is a bit of a jump in the deep end... but oh, the waters so good! It would definitely be worth trying a dram at a bar first...

I could throw tonnes of other names at you, but since you are interested in the Glenmorangie 10(which is a lovely dram) you may want to look at some of their other bottlings. The Quinta Ruban and the Lasanta are both really nice, and are I believe not super expensive. The Nectar D'Or is also really great, but a bit pricier. All three of those are 12 year olds, and each is finished in a different cask, meaning that they'll age them an extra bit of time in a port, sherry or wine cask, so the scotch takes on a bit of the essence of those casks...

I checked out a restaurant I want to go to soon and they have Ardbeg 10 so will try a glass then.

On looking I see there is Glenmorangie Taster Pack (4X100mL bottles) that cover the ones you mentioned, sounds like a nice way to try a few.

On looking I see there is Glenmorangie Taster Pack (4X100mL bottles) that cover the ones you mentioned, sounds like a nice way to try a few.
taster packs are definitely a good way to try a few different whiskies without shelling out for a whole bottle. If you can get hold of the "Campbelltown malts" taster it's well worth it .. 3x 200 ml single malts out of the Springbank Distillery, includes Springbank 10 and Hazelburn 12 ( springbank's triple distilled malt) which are both lightly peated and Longrow (Springbank's more heavily peated malt).

That Glenmorangie tasted sounds good. I don't find the Glenmorangie 10 (original) terribly interesting but the Quinta Ruban (port cask finished) is a great dram.

All great recommendations. I've tried Glenmorangie and Glenfiddich and like them both. Ardbeg would be a jump if you're not used to peat (which I happen to prefer!).

Benromach and Talisker are definitely on my list of malts to try. Smoky but a different take on it than an Islay malt.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not sure why so many are wary of recommending a peaty whiskey. I find them to be some of the most enjoyable whiskeys available. A good whiskey is a good whiskey no matter the region or style - best to just enjoy them all, one delicious dram after another. My recommendations?

Oban 14, Caol Ila 12, and Talisker 10.

:sailor:

I feel like I'm being cheated if I don't get that smoke! Love Talisker and Caol Ila! Laphroaig or Lagavulin if you wanna get hit hard with the peat!

I feel like I'm being cheated if I don't get that smoke! Love Talisker and Caol Ila! Laphroaig or Lagavulin if you wanna get hit hard with the peat!
If you are wary of peat, I'd vote for the Caol Ila. It is wonderful and was my gateway Scotch into the world of peat whiskeys.

Balvenie Doublewood might be up your alley. Honey, vanilla, bit of bourbon and sherry taste. Very unoffensive, easy to find, and not super expensive.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Thanks David.
I may need to work my way towards the Ardbeg, maybe I need to find a bar or restaurant that has it and just get a glass.

Good idea.

I'd also suggest Highland Park 12 as a good one to move a little out of your comfort zone but not too much all at once.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Thanks everyone for your input. While I could not get everything suggested I have a few to try next.
So many choices and directions to go but after much deliberation I have placed my order.

So what did I pick. I did not expect that I would pick a Irish Whiskey but Redbreast sounded interesting, so that made the first choice.
I could not find any Redbreast locally but no worry I can get it on line and the prices are cheaper on every type of drink.

Also in the cart is a 200ml bottle of Talisker 10 years old to try a bit of a peat style without going full size.
Looking forward to tasting these on Friday after sorting the bank out and dinner out with the wife. What a pleasant way to top off the day. Is it Friday yet. :)

Thanks again, it has been educational having a closer look at these whisky's.

Whisky.png

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
@cleanshaved get the Sullivans Cove Single Cask French Oak made in Tasmania and you can thank me later :thumbsup:
proxy.php

I'll keep a eye out for it.

I looked at a couple of NZ whiskeys that are said to be good but their price is more than some of the good Scotch whisky.

$169 for a 350ml New Zealand single malt.:huh: I'm intrigued but not that much at the moment.

25 year old.png

Top Bottom