What's new

Which of Mike's Natural Soaps Do You Like? | Your Reviews | & Mine

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Mike's shaving soaps come in a variety of scents, but they all have the same great base.

I'm going to list all of Mike's current scents in categories, offer my comments on them, and solicit your comments.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My top favorites are these.

1703428402616.png

A lovely soap scent assuming you like the scent of lavender. I have a couple of other soaps in lavender. They're great, too, but this is the best of the three lavenders I've tried both in its base and in its scent. Very nice!

1703428539140.png

I almost didn't buy the honeysuckle because Mike made it sound particularly strong. According to my nose the scent is pure honeysuckle, but of what I'd say is an average strength for a Mike's soap.

In general his soaps are less strongly scented than some brands. That's not to say they're weak.

1703428745600.png

Coconut is right up there. It might be a summer scent to you or me, or not, but it's a lovely scent which somehow reminds me of beaches.

1703428888731.png

Exactly so. It has a slight scent, not unpleasant, very mild, but no added scent. I got into Mike's shaving soaps because of this "gateway drug" unscented soap. It's my favorite unscented soap because the base is so great.

1703429067819.png

Perhaps this is not my very favorite bay rum of all time, but it's a bay rum soap I find myself reaching for on a frequent basis. I like it very much. I suspect almost all bay rum fans would love this scent and this base.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The next group includes scents almost as great to my nose as the top five.

1703429373130.png

I'm no expert on the scent of jasmine, but I believe this one nails the scent perfectly. It's very floral, but not feminine (according to me). I like it a lot.

1703429470632.png

I was tempted to put the pine in my top group. Mike nailed the description. It's not a 100% pure pine scent, but pine is quite dominant. You won't have to guess what it smells like. To my nose it's much more pleasant than I would have guessed it would be.

1703429702728.png

Very earthy and deep. I don't appreciate any sweetness. To me it is not an every day scent, but occasionally it seems exactly right. You might call it a dark scent, but it is not unpleasant in its darkness. It may belong in its own category.

1703430009091.png

Mike nailed the description. I almost put this in my citrus grouping as it is definitely lemony but then again it's not exactly lemon and not exactly lemongrass. I like it a lot.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
These are Mike's citrus scents.

1703430226993.png

Exactly as described. If you like a very pure, plenty sweet lime...

It's very nice.

1703430358021.png

Certainly not a pure orange, but a nice citrus which has plenty of orange and yet not too much. It's a complex citrus scent, but not too complex or confusing.

1703430538395.png

I go back and forth. Do I like this one better than the bergamot and ylang-ylang orange? I think so, but wouldn't swear to it. To my nose, this is less complex and perhaps more orange-dominant, but it's certainly not devoid of a nice and subtle degree of complexity. I like it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The last group includes a few I haven't tried and don't plan to try, one I don't like, and one I don't know what to do with.

1703430995102.png

This is the one I don't know what to do with. Before smelling this soap I really had no idea what folks meant by a barber shop scent. Now I'd say this soap defines the barber shop scent.

I don't hate it. Sometimes I might even like it. I use it occasionally. I don't love it.

I can not appreciate the patchouli scent at all. Neither can my wife.

1703431205222.png

This soap was purchased with the hope it would be a rose. It's not. To my nose the quite dominant scent is patchouli. I like some of the better patchouli incenses on rare occasions, but I don't like this shaving soap scent at all. I never use it.

1703431418320.png

I'm not drawn to camphorous scents and have not tried it, but would love to hear about it if you've tried it.

1703431512186.png

A mild cooling sensation does not appeal to me. Perhaps I'd like it so I'd love to hear your comments about it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Mike’s is not available in Europe, but I was very lucky when a friend visited us earlier this year. She brought with her Mike’s Natural Barbershop and it goes to show that mileages may vary, because I absolutely love the scent - which isn’t barbershop to me at all but the way. I or my nose firmly believe that it’s more fruity (apple or pear). LOTH likes it as well. Thank God our friend brought 4 pucks!

Thanks for the write up Jim! Good to have this overview!

Guido

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I do not claim to have a particularly good nose. I think I'm pretty good at smelling what's there. I'm better at identifying and appreciating scents than many people I've known. However, I'm not good at translating what I can smell into words; in fact, I think I'm lousy at it.

Mike's descriptions seem mostly pretty accurate to me.

In my opinion there is no soap I've tried with a base better than Mike's.

I'm looking forward to your comments about Mike's soaps and scents.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have some very nice unscented soaps. I had to switch to unscented soaps because my skin was reacting to the ingredients added to shaving soap to create the fragrances.... or so my dermatologist told me.

1. Canada Shaving Soap
2. Stirling unscented with beeswax
3. PAA Scentsless CK-6
4. Captain's Choice Unscented
5. Southern Witchcrafts Incorporeal
6. Grooming Department Pura

They are all about the same for me... same feel when lathering... same slickness... more similar than different, though there are variations, of course.

This brings me to Mike's Unscented. I've had a tub around for a while but just had the first shave with it yesterday afternoon. I was expecting more of the same.... just an addition to the great soaps I've already been using. It lathered the same in my CaYuen bowl. It didn't look any different. It lathered up just as easily but not easier.... In other words, until I brushed the lather onto my face, its appearance didn't give me any indication I was in for a treat.

I know it's only the first time I've used it, but it felt more luxurious than any soap I've used. I use the same consistency with all my soaps... on the wet side... not the Greek yogurt consistency some people enjoy and/or recommend. It wasn't that I made the Mike's thicker or more "creamy"... or anything. I'm repeating myself to try to communicate how different the Mike's felt on my face. It looked the same but felt better in a way that grabbed my attention. It caught me by surprise.

I plan to use it for a number of shaves in a row.... along with razors with which I'm more familiar. I was using a new base plate for my RR SuperSlant yesterday so I'll need to take that out of the equation, though it hardly matters for how a soap feels when brushing it onto my face. <eg> Or.... I'll continue to dial in the SuperSlant L1OC a bit along with the Mike's.. and continue using it with other razors and brushes.... after DecemBOAR is complete.

Any, Jim... Thank you for recommending it months ago. I'm glad I finally got around to using it.... and the pleasant surprise it brought me.

I'll read the scent descriptions with a bit of envy since I will only be able to experience them vicariously.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I probably should mention I am a 100% face latherer.

Also I always use the Cube to wash my face prior to shaving + I always use the Tube as a preshave.

Cube&Tube.640JPG.JPG

I'm sure my use of these products impacts everything I've had to say about soap bases ever since I began using the Cube/Tube. Perhaps not to a significant degree but I really can't say.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Lemongrass & Eucalyptus - If you have experience using lemongrass in cooking you will instantly recognize the scent. No lemons here just the lemony scent of lemongrass. I'm still waiting for the eucalyptus to show up. Seeing how the scent of eucalyptus is pretty recognizable it must playing hard to get here.

Orange, Cedarwood, Black Pepper
- I'm finding this one to be an excellent middle of the road orange scent. It fits in between my other two favorite orange scented soaps, B&M Nordost and ETHOS Blood Orange. When I want a nice anytime of the year orange focused soap Mike's is my choice.

Vetiver - This is my new love. Nice and earthy and I want to keep sniffing it. This was my first exposure to what raw vetiver actually smells like. I kept sniffing the tub and thinking that I've smelled this scent before. Today as I revisited the tubs for my comments, it dawned on me what vetiver reminded me of. Peanut shells. Seeing how peanuts are legumes, grown in the ground, the shells have a sort of earthy scent to them. I think it's the scent of boiled peanuts where I get the earthy scent from, although my memory may be fading as it been a very long time since I've had the pleasure of eating them.

Rose, Patchouli, Cedarwood might be one I'll consider based on previous comments. From reading the description on Mike's site, the so called Rose really isn't rose but rose geranium. A rose geranium is a type of geranium plant that has a scent of rose but it's not what most would consider rosy.

Coconut also interests me so that one is also on the list.

The biggest problem I have with Mike's is his stock comes and goes and it's hard to find two or more soaps in stock at the same time to spread the shipping cost.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Lemongrass & Eucalyptus - If you have experience using lemongrass in cooking you will instantly recognize the scent. No lemons here just the lemony scent of lemongrass. I'm still waiting for the eucalyptus to show up. Seeing how the scent of eucalyptus is pretty recognizable it must playing hard to get here.

It is indeed lemongrass. I too know that from food. (Restaurant food in my case). But, it smells lemony as does lemongrass. I'm not arguing with you because I agree with you.

Just now I used this soap and was aware of its eucalyptus scent, but I'll admit to not always noticing it. It's certainly not like standing in a eucalyptus grove.

Orange, Cedarwood, Black Pepper - I'm finding this one to be an excellent middle of the road orange scent. It fits in between my other two favorite orange scented soaps, B&M Nordost and ETHOS Blood Orange. When I want a nice anytime of the year orange focused soap Mike's is my choice.

It's probably my favorite orange scent of the ones I've tried.

Vetiver - This is my new love. Nice and earthy and I want to keep sniffing it. This was my first exposure to what raw vetiver actually smells like. I kept sniffing the tub and thinking that I've smelled this scent before. Today as I revisited the tubs for my comments, it dawned on me what vetiver reminded me of. Peanut shells. Seeing how peanuts are legumes, grown in the ground, the shells have a sort of earthy scent to them. I think it's the scent of boiled peanuts where I get the earthy scent from, although my memory may be fading as it been a very long time since I've had the pleasure of eating them.

I don't get the boiled peanuts scent other than for its earthiness. This stuff is very earthy.

I like it, but you like it more than I do.

Rose, Patchouli, Cedarwood might be one I'll consider based on previous comments. From reading the description on Mike's site, the so called Rose really isn't rose but rose geranium. A rose geranium is a type of geranium plant that has a scent of rose but it's not what most would consider rosy.

Whether it's supposed to smell like geraniums or roses doesn't matter to me because of the patchouli scent.

Coconut also interests me so that one is also on the list.

You'll like it I think.

The biggest problem I have with Mike's is his stock comes and goes and it's hard to find two or more soaps in stock at the same time to spread the shipping cost.

Even though I agree I've largely given up on trying to save the shipping and just ordered what I want when it is available. I discovered the downside of trying the other plan was some items are offered only briefly. I ended up missing out on items I could have purchased.

Signing up for the email reminders helps some as does checking Mike's website several times an hour. (Just kidding, but you probably know what I mean.)

I have all Mike's soaps (of the ones I want) but it took a while to acquire them.

Thanks for your helpful comments.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Even though I agree I've largely given up on trying to save the shipping and just ordered what I want when it is available. I discovered the downside of trying the other plan was some items are offered only briefly. I ended up missing out on items I could have purchased.

Signing up for the email reminders helps some as does checking Mike's website several times an hour. (Just kidding, but you probably know what I mean.)

I have all Mike's soaps (of the ones I want) but it took a while to acquire them.

Thanks for your helpful comments.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I had to resign to that fact and that's the way I've ended up buying what soaps I have. Can I assume the Rose, Patch soap is more of a cooler weather scent?

I like the peppermint rosemary with the rosemary far forward

Orange cedarwood has stayed in stock here since his Brooklyn days.

Coconut is my go to, year round.

I’ve tried other scents, liked lemongrass but didn’t restock, did several limes, others didn’t pass the scent test.

I’ll keep buying as long as he keeps making it.

Wonderful reviews Jim! It's great to have a whole collection review like that, that's an impressive collection of Mike's you've built - especially considering the patience and effort that takes with his stock schedule.

I'll second the opinion of several and say the Coconut is sublime and a regular feature summer soap for me. The barbershop was my first wetshaving artisan soap and still sets the standard for performance and a warm inviting scent. And the Orange, Cedarwood, Black Pepper smells exactly like an the rind of an orange that you just bent. Exactly. It's the most natural-smelling scent I've experienced yet.

Top Bottom