What's new

If you like this soap, you'll love...

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
I spent about a year experimenting with soaps to elevate the shave. Discovered preference for tallow-based soaps, hard soaps, slipperiness coeficient, and subtle scents. Went through quite a few stinkers to narrow the favorites down to this grouping:
  • Canada Shaving Soap: dense, handcrafted, slippery, earthy scent
  • Haslinger Schafmilch:
  • Pre de Provence No. 63
  • ARKO!
  • Martin de Candre
  • Cella Crema da Barba
  • Stirling mutton-based
  • Saponificio Varesino
Knowing my preferences, from your own personal experience, is there a currently produced soap that is missing from this list?

IMG_2064.jpeg

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
That's a fine list! Wholly Kaw Bare Naked and Pasha's Pride (the only 2 I've tried) are quite nice, but they don't have the longevity of MdC and Canadian (apparently nothing does), so there's that.

I definitely endorse the suggestion of RazoRock Santa Maria del Fiore. Very nice soap and wonderful tobacco scent. I think you might also like the new hard pucks from Abbate Y La Mantia.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Genuinely appreciating everyone's input... please keep the recommendations coming.

To keep things moving, here's a nod to posts to date:
  • What was I Thinking?!: Carelessly omitted Santa Maria Novella from my list... pricey yet otherworldly.
  • Heavy Sigh: Agree on Mitchell's Wool Fat (@Mr. Shavington) and Tabac (@brucered), but alas, as @BigJ implied, I feel jilted. When my MWF and Tabac pucks expire, I'm as gone as the tallow from their iconic recipes. Sniffle.
  • Piquing My Interest: Razorock Santa Maria Del Flore (@DEgeezer, @Mr. Shavington, @Berwick12), Palmira (@Roman Totale XVII), Saponificio Varesino Morado (@coops), Ach. Brito Musgo (@md1234), Murphy & McNeil Ogham Stone (@Ravenonrock)

IMG_2069.jpeg

If you want Palmira, I did a vintage razor trade with @Z-2. He is in Bulgaria. He sent me some, but in the cream version. it might be worth reaching out to him to see if he is still looking for vintage razors.

Top Bottom