What's new

Which ELECTRIC RAZOR did you use today (with SOTD pics)?

20240319_183234.jpg

PXL_20240326_104118407.MP.jpg

Filarmonica shavette shave with Clinique shave gel (1/2DE Mashiro blade). Light application of talcum powder with sponge and touch-up using a Remington F4 Style shaver. Then showered finishing my BBS shaved face with Witch Hazel and Avon Sensitive Aftershave Balm (not shown in photo') -Lovely,.....for me, a cautious shave with a shavette using as fewer strokes as possible followed by an electric shaver is the way to go, to avoid un-necessary nicks and cuts, just like The Irish Turk does in his Youtube videos

Last edited:
Wednesday 27th March

Andis TS-2 - Williams Lectric Shave - Yardley Gentleman Urbane - Cetaphil Moisturiser

A great shave today....still feels very good 9 hrs on! My needs are not very challenging as I shave every day and as is probably obvious......I am approaching thing from the lower end of the market!

PXL_20240409_112810106.MP.jpg

First pass Avon Nourishing Shave Oil, second pass with Liz Earle Shave Cream using a Pakistani Parker clone shavette (both passes) and Treet (1/2DE) Black Beauty carbon steel blade (One and Done). Touch up using Baby Powder applied with sponge, and Panasonic ES3831 foil shaver. A great BBS shave

Last edited:
Nice.....I am relatively new to electric wet shaving. Can you work up a proper lather with that setup? I am only at the non lather stage with gel and brushless creams.
I actually use the same kit that I use with DE shaving, including prep and AS. Lathering is an art discussed to a fare-thee-well around here, with many elements to get a good lather. I use the same lather consistency with an electric as I do for a blade, and find it gives me the closest and most comfortable shave. Some prefer a thinner lather for electric (and obviously many prefer "dry" or with a pre-electric), but using electric or blade I don't need to change anything about my prep, so "dead stick" no-brainer. I also find lathering in a scuttle to be preferable to other methods, with the added advantage of warm lather.

But yes, it's very easy to get a good, slick, lather with plenty of body using a brush and shaving soap or cream. One of the primary ingredients to get a good lather is water - by weight the major component - and I have soft water less than 2 gpg so whipping up a great lather is easy. If you have hard water or a "challenging" brush - some boar brushes or synthetics (I very much prefer natural bristles), it can take a bit more expertise, but the standard method of producing lather for a blade shave works for electric, and actually the only difference I find in a DE or electric shave is what I use to remove my beard. Both are equally comfortable, with the electric a bit faster and the blade a bit closer - in fact I sometimes use an electric to touch up a blade shave. And there's always - ugh - soap-in-a-can or gel, which are foolproof but less than perfect and some purists would say less than acceptable, but they work.

So whatever works for you, and whatever you train yourself to use. I recommend experimenting with electric or blade to find what works best for you - rotary or foil? Wet or dry? Electric or blade? Cartridge or SE/DE (or for the bold, straight)? Adjustable or fixed blade? And I've had substantially over a half-century to figure it out, so I'm set! :biggrin1:

Top Bottom