What's new

Which bowl for cream?

What suggestions do you guys have for a shaving bowl?

With our without a handle?

I found this one that's pretty reasonably priced:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230987979107?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

You guys see anything wrong with this one? Suggest another one? I'd like to stay within that price range of $10-$20 right now as I'm also buying everything else I need for DE shaving right now too so I've already spent $100 already.

I also really like this style that you add warm water too, but maybe that's an upgrade for later on down the road:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200948628314?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Suggestions then? I'm going to be getting a WetDog silvertip, probably 24mm brush? Unless you guys suggest to go with the 22mm brush.

I was also thinking of paying the extra $5 to have the hole drilled deeper in the handle for the Silvertip based on Wetdogs suggestions on their website.

You mean Whipped Dog? Though Wet Dog sounds funnier. Maybe Larry will change the name :)

As for a bowl, once you get the brush, head out to either your local kitchen store or local dollar store and see what they have. You want something with a large enough diameter to swirl in but not too large, and tall enough to hold lather but not so tall that a huge piece of the handle is below the rim while you swirl. Sides should be vertical to a little sloped, too sloped and all your lather will spill out. Don't spend too much or worry too much about your first bowl. Get something inexpensive, then find out what you like and don't like about it and you'll make a much more informed choice next time.

For me, I got a little Asian rice bowl at the local kitchen store for about $7. Perfect size and has a cute little orange koi fish painted on it.

Scott

No need to be fancy. Just hunt around. I use a dollar store, $1 big soup cup with a Safeway grocery store, $4 baking bowl used for making meat pies. Fill the red cup with hot water and pottery holds heat better than stainless steel. Works good for me.

$IMG-20130819-00236.jpg

Walmart Salsa bowl. $1.50 and its perfect.

Take a pocket knife and carve out a design of your liking. The rough surface aids in making lather.

It's plastic and easy to hold. The link above is essentially what I'm talking about but black.

It's the bowl of choice for many many people here on the forums. It won't break either if you drop it. Width and height are fantastic.

Walmart Salsa bowl. It's a pain to find but it's worth it.

I can't remember for sure who has it...Turtle I think. It's a stainless steel bowl, but it's a gravy bowl I think, so it doesn't sit on the bottom of the bowl. It has a little pedestal. The pedestal fits perfectly in the palm of your hand and is just tall enough to get a really good grip on, so you don't have to hold the whole bowl in your hand, hook a thumb over the top edge of the bowl or hold a handle. I am on the lookout for one to be my next bowl.

With all the science and knowledge surrounding the shaving process is there any insight into if there is any particular material of the bowl that is best suited for the task...?

I can only assume that things like hardness on the brush, chemical reaction with the soap, sustaining the lather, etc....may or not benefit or suffer when usin wood, metal, ceramics..plastic...?

$414sC9Rn1NL._SY450_.jpgThese are all over Wal Mart stores around here. They work perfectly and are indestructible. I have 3...I don't know why either. Probably wind up giving some of them away during my next B/S/T purge sale (they happen every few months)

Yes I mean whipped dog lol

Do you guys suggest as he does to have the knot drilled deeper for a silver tail? I honestly can't make heads or tails of the situation lol

And I don't think I want to face lather, but I will work the lather into my face really well. As someone else mentioned in another thread you need to put your brush some where, chances are in a bowl.

I was really taking a liking to some of these fossil bowls I've seen, I'll try to post a link if I can find them again. It was only about $30. Although based on how much I just spent in the last couple of days to get started a nice bowl may have to wait a bit lol. But I would like something a little different like the fossil or some kind of natural stone.

Something like this:

http://www.cachebeauty.com/ColonelConk/future_items/mug_182.htm

But then I think something with this with a pedestal grip would be quite helpful when trying to hold on to the bowl while whipping up lather:

http://shavenation.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_73&products_id=1068

And this one is really interesting, exotic & says it's super strong & practically unbreakable, buffalo horn:

http://shavenation.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_158&products_id=810

I like stuff along these lines when it comes to my taste, but they're all so very different & each has pros/cons. They're all reasonably priced so I can't really use that as a deciding factor. And I don't mind spending $30-$40 on something that I'm really going to enjoy having/using/looking at

This is almost a combo of all 3:

http://www.shaveplace.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Genuine_Horn_Footed_Bowl

Last edited:
I bought my bowl at a local Asian market. It is a simple, elegant black bowl which fits in the palm of my hand nicely. It's a miso soup bowl. It was only five bucks. It's very Zen and functional

Last edited:
buying a shave specific bowl (unless its handmade pottery) is a waste of money. there are several people here mentioning the Wal-Mart salsa bowl for $1.50. This is a great option, don't dismiss it just because it's not an official lather bowl. The thing is, you should try a few different cheap bowls to see what style you like the best and have the best results with. I tried 3 different ones... the Wal-Mart salsa, a small Pyrex and the small Van Der Hagen bowl. Good thing i didn't buy an expensive one because once i tried face lathering, i knew that was the way to go.

** you should really try face lathering first **

Top Bottom