What's new

Wheelgun Wednesday

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Today it's my S&W 32 Hand Ejector most likely made between 1940 and 1942.

Left.jpg

Right.jpg

I've long been a fan of the 32 S&W Long (and also 32acp) because it is so controllable, repeatable, flat shooting with similar penetration to the 38 S&W Special. I know it's not a popular round these days.

But then, I'm not all that popular myself.

Today's example is a 629-6 that I bought and then flipped. I only bought it because my LGS couldn't sell it (it's not a plastic 9mm) and had it on a deep discount. It was LNIB with the magnas and the Altamonts as it came in the factory. I already had the snub 69 that I posted last week, so didn't need another carry .44 mag. Sold it for a few hundred more than I paid, but still much less than typical retail, so everyone was happy.

Ad Astra

The Instigator

View attachment 1755974

View attachment 1755975

I've long been a fan of the 32 S&W Long (and also 32acp) because it is so controllable, repeatable, flat shooting with similar penetration to the 38 S&W Special. I know it's not a popular round these days.

Just recently bought some 32 S&W Long, available but about 30% more than 38 Special. Since Lee carbide dies are $44, and box of ammo approaches $40, we're going to be reloading this brass ... if all goes well. I may or may not inherit a revolver in this caliber, if a relative remembers it at Christmas!

Q for @jar_ . I see where "some people on the internet" fire 32 ACP out of a strong revolver in this caliber (32 S&W L.). 32 ACP IS a hotter round. Not in an old junker, but something 1940s-60s modern, like an H&R, Colt or Smith. Not endorsing this practice, of course. Perhaps in an emergency. The right ammo in the right gun. Have you/anyone here ever tried it? Thanks.

AA

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Just recently bought some 32 S&W Long, available but about 30% more than 38 Special. Since Lee carbide dies are $44, and box of ammo approaches $40, we're going to be reloading this brass ... if all goes well. I may or may not inherit a revolver in this caliber, if a relative remembers it at Christmas!

Q for @jar_ . I see where "some people on the internet" fire 32 ACP out of a strong revolver in this caliber (32 S&W L.). 32 ACP IS a hotter round. Not in an old junker, but something 1940s-60s modern, like an H&R, Colt or Smith. Not endorsing this practice, of course. Perhaps in an emergency. The right ammo in the right gun. Have you/anyone here ever tried it? Thanks.

AA
I tried it and then promptly crossed it off the list. Accuracy was lousy, reliability depended on head spacing and was iffy at best and other than cost savings I found zero advantages. But in an emergency I'd use 7.65mm in a heart beat.

Fortunately I'm old and so it's very unlikely I'll run out of some ammo for some gun I already own in my lifetime.

I like 32 S&W Long for it's accuracy, soft recoil, rapid return to POI and reliability. And so over the decades quite a few revolvers chambered in 32S&W Long have followed me home. Since I don't reload my procedure has been to watch for sales and then stock up.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I tried it and then promptly crossed it off the list. Accuracy was lousy, reliability depended on head spacing and was iffy at best and other than cost savings I found zero advantages. But in an emergency I'd use 7.65mm in a heart beat.

Fortunately I'm old and so it's very unlikely I'll run out of some ammo for some gun I already own in my lifetime.

I like 32 S&W Long for it's accuracy, soft recoil, rapid return to POI and reliability. And so over the decades quite a few revolvers chambered in 32S&W Long have followed me home. Since I don't reload my procedure has been to watch for sales and then stock up.

For what it costs, I'll surely reload it (if I get the revolver). I'm already feeding oddballs like 6.5x50sr Arisaka...

An interesting round that would stretch my casting lead supply, for sure.

AA

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Today it was one of my SAA Clones, this one made by Schmidt and with two cylinders, 38SPL/357Mag & 9mm Luger. Only had a few rounds of 38SPL and some 9mm just to test function since it's probably been two decades since I last shot the revolver. It did okay and was as much fun as I remembered. I also have two JP Sauer SAAs, one in 44Mag (but I shoot Special) and the other 45 Colt. I'll let them go WalkAbout over the next week or so.

357-9mm.jpg

2023-12-27.jpg

Still shooting left though. Gotta work on it.

View attachment 1749003I have one of those, or a S&W version, in 38 S&W in the safe. It belonged to my father in law. My wife got it when he died. Her brother and sister did not want it so we got it. There was an internal spring broken, and the grips were cracked. I found some repro grips easily, but getting a spring was more difficult. It took several years and numerous tries to find one that fit. Nickle palating was freckled in most places. barrel and chambers cloudy and freckled also. Lockup is very tight, I doubt that it was shot much, but definitely not well cared for. I am surprised my FIL did not care for it as he was an Army infantry officer in WWII, wounded and medically retired, so he knew the importance of firearm maintance. I suspect by the time he got it condition was not great.
I did get a box of ammo for it, but in the 34 years we have had it, it has not been fired.

View attachment 1755974

View attachment 1755975

A few years ago I searched and finally found a Hand Ejector, in 32-20 (32 WCF) as a companion gun to a little Marlin 1894CL I have in that caliber. I looked and looked on the internet until I finally found one in good condition, It dates from the early 1920's. I wanted one with adjustable rear sights like my K 22 and K 38, but never could find one. A C&R license made the purchase easy, sent in a copy, and a few days later UPS driver put it in my hands.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
A few years ago I searched and finally found a Hand Ejector, in 32-20 (32 WCF) as a companion gun to a little Marlin 1894CL I have in that caliber. I looked and looked on the internet until I finally found one in good condition, It dates from the early 1920's. I wanted one with adjustable rear sights like my K 22 and K 38, but never could find one. A C&R license made the purchase easy, sent in a copy, and a few days later UPS driver put it in my hands.
It's hard to date them short of getting a letter. Plus since they didn't ship in serial number order it's always a guess.

Winter here in Appalachia can be cold, bleak, and generally not pleasant. One good thing, with miserable weather comes the need for clothing which lends itself to good conceal-ability of a broader selection of sidearm(s).
Thinking today is a good day to go big or stay home....
Colt Anaconda .44 magnum, yep.
IMG_5736.jpeg
IMG_5735.jpeg

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Today will be in the low 70s so almost long pants weather. Today's carry will be a Hawes Import Western Marshall 5½" barrel SAA 45Colt in my Andrews Tiger Shark saddle holster. The holster is still at the hard to snap closed and a little tight but another day of wearing around the house and things should be perfect. Then it will get to go WalkAbout.

45.jpg

Andrews-Tiger-Shark.jpg

Top Bottom