What's new

What's your workout today? - September 09

That's the farthest I've run in one shot since 6th grade. It whipped my butt. :redface:

I had a good run/ride today. I did 5/5/5. I started with a 5 mile ride, ran 5 and finished with the 5 mile return trip home. Thankfully my backside is finally getting used to riding a bike again.

I had a good run/ride today. I did 5/5/5. I started with a 5 mile ride, ran 5 and finished with the 5 mile return trip home. Thankfully my backside is finally getting used to riding a bike again.

That's called "a brick" workout. "Brick" meaning "b" for bike and "r" for run, and because the workout is the foundation workout of the multisport athlete. Make it longer, especially on the bike, and its a spectacular workout. The best thing about it is that since you run tired, the run is effectively lengthened vis a vis physiological adaptation. Keep those up.

Last night, an "off" day, was a 5 mile 40 minute run. The legs are still a little slow from racing on Sunday. It seems the first real open road race I did this year was something I was lacking and needing. You just dont get that top end snap from anything other then actually racing, and moreso on the open road.

Anyway, home early and I'm now off for 2 hours of muscle tension intervals on the bike.

Good stuff, gents, good stuff. I'm going to break for today, then hit the gym tomorrow am when I get off. Likely abs and quads. Definitely abs, and some cross-training, like hitting the dummy for a few rounds.

I was short of time yesterday and had to go to a work function in the evening, but I didn't want to sacrifice my workout. Before I had to change, I got in a quick kettlebell routine at home. Fifty snatches with one arm, fifty with the other, then fifty air squats. Repeat with 40, 30, 20, 10. Use a reasonably light bell and break up the sets if necessary. I finished up with a quick ab workout and felt much better when I was back at work.

Last edited:
Today I warmed up, did the Crossfit Workout of the Day, and then a set of Ab exercises. After that, I put my iPod on and did Bas Rutten's workout on the Thai bag. I usually don't have much time for gimmicky workouts, but Bas is great. Of course you could do the same thing with a cheap round timer, but I like having Bas shouting in my ear while I'm hitting the bag.

Yesterday it was a rigorous hike! We did 2.5 miles up the side of a mountain. The angle was so steep that the few roads leading in to our starting point were almost too steep for my truck to climb.

Today it is going to be another few miles up the other side of the same mountain!

That's called "a brick" workout. "Brick" meaning "b" for bike and "r" for run, and because the workout is the foundation workout of the multisport athlete. Make it longer, especially on the bike, and its a spectacular workout. The best thing about it is that since you run tired, the run is effectively lengthened vis a vis physiological adaptation. Keep those up.

Thanks!

Yesterday it was a rigorous hike! We did 2.5 miles up the side of a mountain. The angle was so steep that the few roads leading in to our starting point were almost too steep for my truck to climb.

Today it is going to be another few miles up the other side of the same mountain!

It's a nice time of year in Japan to be out in the mountains. Sounds like fun.

I remember climbing up a hill like that in South Korea. No trails, and the trees were growing out like bristles on a hog. When we finally got to the top, there was an old lady up there with a cooler of sodas on a frame on her back. I could have cried.

It's a nice time of year in Japan to be out in the mountains. Sounds like fun.

I remember climbing up a hill like that in South Korea. No trails, and the trees were growing out like bristles on a hog. When we finally got to the top, there was an old lady up there with a cooler of sodas on a frame on her back. I could have cried.

The views today were absolutely amazing! We saw a bear and a few monkeys. It was just breath taking!

We have had a lot of rain here this week so I wanted to stay off the trails. We (GF and I) took the mountain bikes on a bit of dirt road exploration. Ended up being 28 miles with 3300 ft vertical gain. Good stuff.

Today is my arm day. Here's my workout:
Cable Tricep Pushdowns superset w/
Standing Curls (EZ curl bar)
• Set 1: 15 reps (warm-up)
• Set 2: 12 reps
• Set 3: 10 reps
• Set 4: 10 reps
• Set 5: 8 reps (drop weight and do another 8 reps)
Close Grip Bench Press superset w/
Preacher Curl
Close Grip Bench Press:
• Set 1: 10 reps
• Set 2: 10 reps
• Set 3: 8 reps ( do a double drop set of 8 reps each)
Preacher Curl
• Set 1: 12 reps
• Set 2: 12 reps
• Set 3: 8 reps do a double drop set of 8 reps each)
Tricep Extension superset w/
Seated Dumbbell Curls
Tricep Extension
• 12 reps x 3 sets
Seated Dumbbell Curls
• 10 reps x 3 sets

Its gonna be a killer :)

Wendy loves this thread and has been missing her daily 20 mile rides. Yesterday she borrowed my bike (3 wheel), and was able to ride 1/4 mile with her right arm velcroed to her side. It's a small start but in the right direction.
Sue

This was a tough weekend stretch...packing in going to temple and family dinners and workouts but I got it all in and then some it seems.

Friday was 2:00 hours of muscle tension intervals. 12min on and 12min off of pushing the hardest gear that makes 50-60 rpms manageable.

Saturday was the same workout but 2:15.

Today was 3:00 of endurance riding with no set intervals. I take these September Sundays, when I'm not racing, to ride "bicyle Sundays" on a local 14 mile loop of closed parkway. It has been going on for about 30 years and I always try and get out and patronize the great service given to us by our County, despite the sometimes dicey nature of those riding. If you think multi-use paths are dangerous you should see what goes on here...cyclists of all ages and skills, roller bladers, runners (many pushing baby carriages). Its dangerous sometimes but a heck of a lot of fun and closed road riding is hard to come by.

It also happens to be the route for my upcoming half-marathon attempt in October.

Anyway, I started tired and while I was by no means hammering, my September fitness, always my fittest month, really showed as I pushed 21mph average for 2 hours riding on my own. I have never done that speed for that long without being in a group. By way of comparison I rode a bit faster than that for 17 less miles in the race pack last week and was pretty spent at the end of the day. As I posted last week...open road racing adds something to fitness that no training can.

I slowed down to a more relaxed pace for the last hour and with 30 minutes to go I turned at the bottom of the loop to head for home and did something I haven't done in years and years. I bonked.

For those who haven't ever bonked it is quite an experience. Your body runs of out of muscle gylcogen and stored liver glycogen. You are forced to slow down to a pace where you are only burning fat. Normally, this might be good, and for me it's not horribly slow, at 15mph its not much slower than I had been riding the last hour anyway, but the worst thing is that glycogen is your brains primary energy source and without energy to burn it starts to do some crazy things. I started to look for soft grassy spots on the side of the road to pull over and sleep. While I kept my balance fine, I started to get some trouble with my vision and depth perception...almost like when the heat rises from the road. Then my brain fixated on food. I spent 25 minutes thinking only about what I was going to eat and how to get home to do some eating. My brain decided that I needed to get home and get those 2 leftover turkey meatballs in the fridge and turn them into a parmigiana sandwich!

I made it home, slowly, and after 58 miles I dug into the best leftover sandwich I have ever had in my life! A couple of diet pepsis for caffeine and I came around about 30 minutes later.

Bonking is such a trip...no fun, but very interesting to say the least. I suspect the scale is going to show some crazy number tomorrow morning.

Last edited:
An absimal 22 mile ride. I swear every bug in Indiana was on the same path I was. I was covered with them when I got home, it was disgusting. :mad3:

Top Bottom