What's new

What's your workout today? - September 09

15 miles of long distance paddling in a 6 man/woman (three men and three woman) Hawaiian Outrigger canoe. We did awesome with a sprint to the finish to come in 3rd over all (inches from 2nd!) and 1st place for our division! Our mixed crew beat many all male crews by miles! Good Fun! I've a slight sun burn, again. :biggrin:

I raced today. A 22 mile open road race...poorly routed I might add, too many hard turns, and way too many lefts, to make for a safe, fast and efficient route. Anyway, I will give a brief report for those interested below.

Before the race I warmed up for about 1/2 hour on the trainer in the parking lot and after the race, which had me home by 9am, I did 38 miles of casual riding as a cool down. We have the great fortune of having a 14 mile round trip section of a beautiful historic parkway shutdown from 10am-2pm on Sundays in May, June and Sept. and I like to use the great service our county gives us regardless of the fact that I am a "racer" and its a family ride. I have said before I am no bicycle snob (most of the time).

Anyway, I got home and loaded the wife's car for the family to meet up at the top of the loop (only 4 miles from my home). We planned to meet there at 11:45, so I had 1:45 to ride on my own. I did one south leg moderately hard to clear the lactic acid from my legs and good timing had me meet up with a brother in law, sister in law and nephew just about at the end of the leg. We turned North and then met up with another brother in law who just started and was riding his new bike. We rode easily (for me) North for 1/2 loop where the family group left when I and my single brother in law continued North and had time to loop halfway down and back up again. At the top, again, I met up with my brood and my little ones managed, with much coaxing and some hill walking, to push out a full 14 mile loop. Good for them. I was pretty shot at the end...the racing took a lot out of me today and I was feeling it despite the slow pace.

So, the race. My group, called by the promoter "the faster Masters" was over 40/under an hour. I have been sick with seriously head congestion and sore throat for the last 10 days and didnt sleep well last night (although I never do before a race...but this was made worse because my 10 year old was out for an overnight with friends to a theme park and didn't get home until midnight).

We went out hard and shed a lot of the 60-70 of our pack and after about 5-6 miles the pace eased a bit and honestly, I needed it to! As I said this was a bad route with a lot of hard turns and a lot of short steep ups and downs progressively climbing for the first 16 miles. It isnt hilly but it does climb about 1000' in those 16 miles, so it aint easy. Anyway, I know all the roads well as the race hits some of my long training roads, but I didn't know the route. I have raced here before, but it has been re-routed since my last participation. The promoters website said "climb early and fly home" and mapmyride.com put it at exactly 1/2 up and 1/2 down. As I said it was neither. But my ride strategy was to work as hard as it took to stay with the front group for the first half, recover for 1/4 and then look for winning moves. I was sorely mistaken.

While I stayed with the front group as planned, with a bit more effort (due to my sickness/tiredness) than I was happy with, I was there with the top 15 for the first 13-14 miles. Then my lack of route experience killed me. We hit a BRUTAL climb of 22.5% not ironically named "Burying Hill Road" and to make matters worse the road was wet and there was a car descending the oncoming lane. I was climbing in my saddle when guys who were out in the oncoming lane (illegally of course) funneled over and forced me right and out of my saddle. Well, I'm light and once I stood on that grade I spun my rear wheel and even though its less than a 1/4 mile climb I had to sit and as I did I slowed and got spat out the back of the group. That was it for me.

I crested about 300 yards behind the group and spent the rest of the race turning myself inside out to get back on, which I could not. I picked up some stragglers on the way, and picked up some stragglers from the first group, the under 40 studs, as well. None of them were willing to organize and ride together.

I time trialed home dropping all but one of the young group who stayed with me doing little work and then who out sprinted me by 6" due more to my own stupidity than any physical difference between us...I made the turn onto the finishing stretch and slowed, not knowing he was still there with me, and he passed me in the last 1/4 mile. I could see the finishing area but did not know where the line was (bad work by the promoter as well) so rather than do the smart thing, get on his draft and come around him in the last few yards, I accelerated with no draft and sprinted him heads up and lost by inches. Oh well...no big deal at that point since I had already made enough mistakes for 5 races! I was in in 54:51 and 41st place overall (including the young guys). I don't know my group placing though, nor how many raced in all groups but it looked to be about 300.

Anyway, its always fun to race and the most fun when its on an open road course, if you can try I recommend you do so. Its about my 10th race of the year and my first true road race. Next up are a duathlon and half-marathon, my first, and then I am gonna hang it up and go slow for a while.

Last edited:
Pretty rough there, Bro! Good ride, despite it all. Illness can really take you out of form. I had a good hamstring/calf/core workout Friday, then a quick bit of shoulders/tris today. Tomorrow will likely be quads. Gonna do some pull-ups here in a few minutes on the ol' Iron Gym, then it's off to work.

Andy, I need to move to your town. That way I know damn well the cop is tougher than the criminal. :thumbup1:

I rode 25 miles this afternoon, not that fast, my legs were killing me for some reason. I ran 5 miles tonight.

Got in 30 miles on my bike today before I got 3 flat tires within a mile of each other. :mad::001_rolle:cursing::scared::thumbdown:18::9898::o15::c17::c3::mad5::mad2::mad2::mad2::censored:

1st flat was something you picked up on the road, the 2nd was the same item flatting the tire again and the third was a snake bite as you were frustrated from the first two and you did a bad job reseating the bead. Its common.

Andy, I need to move to your town. That way I know damn well the cop is tougher than the criminal. :thumbup1:

I rode 25 miles this afternoon, not that fast, my legs were killing me for some reason. I ran 5 miles tonight.

Lol. Good work! 30 miles, 5 of 'em on foot? Good stuff. I will do some sprinting today whan the kids are finished with the track. Not sure if I'm lifting today. Most of my major groups still have some residual soreness. Except for my chest. That is still exhibiting level 2 soreness.

I hit a sissy biceps workout yesterday, with about 60 total pull-ups of all grips thrown in. And a set of dips for good measure. My bis are fried, I'm happy to say. It's time to heat up that steak I've been marinating, and get the repair crews going.

I've just started to work out again, been doing Hindu push-up/squats, bridge for the back, pull-ups and bear crawls, as soon as I feel that I'm in better shape, I'll add more body weight exercises.

I rode the trainer last night and early this am, 3.75 hours total. Legs were tired from racing Sunday but had a little more snap than I expected today.

Good news was the "official" results of Sunday's race puts me 22/103 in age group and 37/210 OA. It seems that the group I described having fallen out of blew up a bit too, there were three chunks of guys finishing in front of me, 1 about a minute, another at about 2.5 mins, and the final group (the winners group) broken up but at about 3 mins.

Oh, the kicker...the guy that I described losing the heads up sprint to by 6"...well I actually beat him by 3 minutes. He was part of the front group that started 3 minutes earlier than I did. So not only did the guy sit on me and do no work, but he sat on me after I did enough work to take those 3 minutes out of him. I hate that stuff...but, its part of the sport. As I said, it was my stupidity not to handle the sprint the right way.

You guys are all monsters! :biggrin: I did a couple rounds of situps and about 30 minutes of back stretches and thought I was the man....:blush:

That's a good little jaunt, there, Tim. As for me, I rested yesterday, then hit the 300 workout again today. Got it down to 13:00 flat. It was still preeety rough. My biceps and chest were still sore, and so were my lats. I think I can get it done faster still when I'm fully recovered.

Top Bottom