What's new

What Shaving Soap is in your rotation?

Saying you have a lot of soap would be an understatement here

Yeah, it started as me looking for the 10 best soaps in existence for my soap rotation. I found more than 10 and just kept trying new ones out of curiosity to see if they were better than the ones I've found. I've likely tried more than a few hundred so far and recently have mostly been buying or trading samples to try new ones. I've bought way too many full tubs that didn't work out for me.

Cold River Soap Works Select soaps deserve a spot or two on my list but I'm trying to use some up before I add anything else. They are very similar to the Strop Shoppe SE w/tallow soaps and maybe even a little better.

I'm also interested in trying soap commander as I've read a lot of positive things about it as well. They have a sample pack that is very appealing. I wish all soap manufacturers would offer samples this way.

Cella, Speick stick, MWF, Tabac and Synergy Cavendish. Can't fit any more in my drawer... Have to finish one of them before buying another--probably Arko!

I am presently rotating the 3 following soaps - MWF, LePere Lucien and Saponificio Vareseno Dolomiti. I really don't see any of these three leaving the lineup. The Dolomiti is the newest to the rotation.

End of Winter and Spring:

Penhaligon's English Fern
PPF Neroli
IanS Herbed Lilac
Edward Jagger Seabuckthorn
Edward Jagger Aloe
Reef Point Espresso

Yeah, it started as me looking for the 10 best soaps in existence for my soap rotation. I found more than 10 and just kept trying new ones out of curiosity to see if they were better than the ones I've found. I've likely tried more than a few hundred so far and recently have mostly been buying or trading samples to try new ones. I've bought way too many full tubs that didn't work out for me.

Cold River Soap Works Select soaps deserve a spot or two on my list but I'm trying to use some up before I add anything else. They are very similar to the Strop Shoppe SE w/tallow soaps and maybe even a little better.

I'm also interested in trying soap commander as I've read a lot of positive things about it as well. They have a sample pack that is very appealing. I wish all soap manufacturers would offer samples this way.
So I know this is probably a hard question for you, but what's on the top of your list? Favorite? Top 5? Top 10 maybe?

Winter is mostly Tabac, Mikes lavender and Mystic Water lavender

When it warms up, mostly Mikes mint/rosemary and Mikes lime. I like mixing those two together too.

Captain's Choice Bay Rum
Soap Commander Endurance (Old Spice)
Soap Commander Purpose (Bay Rum)
Soap Commander Passion
Mike's Natural Rose & Cedar
Mike's Natural Pine & Cedar
Barrister & Mann Nocturne

Being in So. Cal. we don't really have seasons here so this is my year round rotation. :001_cool:

BTW, I am expecting some Sterling Sharp Dressed Man soon, so there may need to be a reshuffling... :tongue_sm

So I know this is probably a hard question for you, but what's on the top of your list? Favorite? Top 5? Top 10 maybe?

That's a tough question because once you have a lot of really great performing soaps then the choices become more about what scent you're in the mood for or what cologne you plan on wearing or what aftershave to match it to. You can see in my list that there are a lot of brands that I have several soaps from so these are definitely some of my favorite soaps performance wise. I rarely use the same soap more than a couple days straight unless I'm trying to use something up.

In no particular order here are some of my top picks:

Martin de Candre (Original and Fougere) - these are both outstanding soaps. Which scent I prefer depends on the day. I've been hooked on the Fougere lately. These are by far the absolute easiest soaps in existence to later. They don't have all of the butters that are now found in many of the high end soaps but the lather is amazing and I get a really excellent close shave every time I use them. Expensive but they are excellent and last a really long time and the jar is rather large so it's like buying two or three high quality soaps at once.

Strop Shoppe SE w/tallow - another outstanding soap if I had to pick a favorite scent from them it would be Baker Street followed by Barbershop and then Black Tie. The Alpine Frost, Peppermint and London morning are nice but I'm using then up and won't replace them once they are gone. The SE w/tallow soaps are soaps that have a lot of butters in them. They will actually change your face for the better if you use them regularly.

Petal Pusher Fancies (now Phoenix Artisan) - These are outstanding soaps that have very bold scents. I own 7 of these and I'm very fond of them all. Easy to lather, excellent cushion and after shave feel. Really excellent soaps and some of the very best I've found. If I had to pick just one it would be the coconut but I really like every scent that I own from them and will replace them all once they run out.

Art of Shaving tallow - The tallow soaps are a little better than the new version. The Sandlewood scent is amazing and my favorite from them by far. These are some of the best soaps ever made. Valobra and C&S are in this same category as both of these labels as well as the old AOS tallow soaps are made made by Valobra.

RazoRock Mudder Focker - This is RazoRock's best soap. I'm not overly fond of the scent but the slickness and after shave feel are outstanding. It has mud in it like the women use at the spa and it really makes a difference. I tried to use up a tub of this soap to get rid of it and two weeks into it I ordered two more tubs. I won't be without this one.

Le Pere Lucien - I really like this one as well. It's a French soap that I think has a great scent. It feels like a high end soap and I get a great shave every time I use it. I have a small container of this soap that I travel with as well because it lathers with ease for me in even the hardest water.

WSP Rustic - these don't have all the butters that you find in the Strop Shoppe and Petal Pusher soaps but they lather great. These are the closest anyone has gotten in trying to duplicate the Martin de Candre recipe and at about $12 each they are a great deal. Not as good as MdC but still a really nice soap. I'd call these the poor man's Martin de Candre, similar but at a much lower cost. I really like the Marrikesh scent as it has a similar scent to their Tobacco soap but without all the sweetness. The Barbershop is really nice and the Fougere Noir smells like the Drakkar cologne from the 80's.

Saponificio Varesino - I just got both of these and I'm rather fond of the Felice Aromatica so far. It's a dirty fern sort of scent that I find enticing. It's very slick and after using it I don't feel the need for an aftershave. I haven't used the Dolomite but one time so I'm not to a place where I can really comment on it. Performance from both is very good and the pucks are a huge 5.2 ounces. I'm not sure how long a puck will last but it's a hard soap so with the size of the puck and the fact that it still looks completely unused after five shaves I suspect I'm looking at eight months or more of daily shaves from this one making the high asking price a pretty good deal.

Cold River Select - These aren't in my rotation but they definitely deserve a spot. They are very similar to the Strop Shoppe SE w/tallow soaps and maybe even slightly better. I've tried a sample but haven't bought any yet because they are so similar. Once I use up the Strop Shoppe Alpine Frost, Peppermint and London Morning I think I'll be replacing them with some Cold River Select soaps.

Tiki The Captain (tallow) - I love the scent of this soap and the performance is very good as well. I have about two shaves left and want to order more but it's always out of stock.

PannaCrema - makes some of the very best lather I've found but the scents don't thrill me.

Calani - another excellent soap but it's hard to get. The Malabar scent I have is the only one I've tried and I wasn't fond of it at all at first. i like it now but I'll likely try a different scent next time. I need to try more Calani soaps and find a favorite scent to keep in my rotation because the performance is excellent.

So there are some of my favorites as I think about it now. They do change from time to time but these are all excellent soaps and some of the very best I've found after trying more than anyone I know. I'd recommend any of the soaps listed above without hesitation, especially the Strop Shoppe SE w/tallow, Phoenix Artisan and Cold River Select ones.

If you're looking for something specific and want a recommendation for a particular soap to buy feel free to send me a PM and I'll help you out however I can.

That's a tough question because once you have a lot of really great performing soaps then the choices become more about what scent you're in the mood for or what cologne you plan on wearing or what aftershave to match it to. You can see in my list that there are a lot of brands that I have several soaps from so these are definitely some of my favorite soaps performance wise. I rarely use the same soap more than a couple days straight unless I'm trying to use something up.

In no particular order here are some of my top picks:

Martin de Candre (Original and Fougere) - these are both outstanding soaps. Which scent I prefer depends on the day. I've been hooked on the Fougere lately. These are by far the absolute easiest soaps in existence to later. They don't have all of the butters that are now found in many of the high end soaps but the lather is amazing and I get a really excellent close shave every time I use them. Expensive but they are excellent and last a really long time and the jar is rather large so it's like buying two or three high quality soaps at once.

Strop Shoppe SE w/tallow - another outstanding soap if I had to pick a favorite scent from them it would be Baker Street followed by Barbershop and then Black Tie. The Alpine Frost, Peppermint and London morning are nice but I'm using then up and won't replace them once they are gone. The SE w/tallow soaps are soaps that have a lot of butters in them. They will actually change your face for the better if you use them regularly.

Petal Pusher Fancies (now Phoenix Artisan) - These are outstanding soaps that have very bold scents. I own 7 of these and I'm very fond of them all. Easy to lather, excellent cushion and after shave feel. Really excellent soaps and some of the very best I've found. If I had to pick just one it would be the coconut but I really like every scent that I own from them and will replace them all once they run out.

Art of Shaving tallow - The tallow soaps are a little better than the new version. The Sandlewood scent is amazing and my favorite from them by far. These are some of the best soaps ever made. Valobra and C&S are in this same category as both of these labels as well as the old AOS tallow soaps are made made by Valobra.

RazoRock Mudder Focker - This is RazoRock's best soap. I'm not overly fond of the scent but the slickness and after shave feel are outstanding. It has mud in it like the women use at the spa and it really makes a difference. I tried to use up a tub of this soap to get rid of it and two weeks into it I ordered two more tubs. I won't be without this one.

Le Pere Lucien - I really like this one as well. It's a French soap that I think has a great scent. It feels like a high end soap and I get a great shave every time I use it. I have a small container of this soap that I travel with as well because it lathers with ease for me in even the hardest water.

WSP Rustic - these don't have all the butters that you find in the Strop Shoppe and Petal Pusher soaps but they lather great. These are the closest anyone has gotten in trying to duplicate the Martin de Candre recipe and at about $12 each they are a great deal. Not as good as MdC but still a really nice soap. I'd call these the poor man's Martin de Candre, similar but at a much lower cost. I really like the Marrikesh scent as it has a similar scent to their Tobacco soap but without all the sweetness. The Barbershop is really nice and the Fougere Noir smells like the Drakkar cologne from the 80's.

Saponificio Varesino - I just got both of these and I'm rather fond of the Felice Aromatica so far. It's a dirty fern sort of scent that I find enticing. It's very slick and after using it I don't feel the need for an aftershave. I haven't used the Dolomite but one time so I'm not to a place where I can really comment on it. Performance from both is very good and the pucks are a huge 5.2 ounces. I'm not sure how long a puck will last but it's a hard soap so with the size of the puck and the fact that it still looks completely unused after five shaves I suspect I'm looking at eight months or more of daily shaves from this one making the high asking price a pretty good deal.

Cold River Select - These aren't in my rotation but they definitely deserve a spot. They are very similar to the Strop Shoppe SE w/tallow soaps and maybe even slightly better. I've tried a sample but haven't bought any yet because they are so similar. Once I use up the Strop Shoppe Alpine Frost, Peppermint and London Morning I think I'll be replacing them with some Cold River Select soaps.

Tiki The Captain (tallow) - I love the scent of this soap and the performance is very good as well. I have about two shaves left and want to order more but it's always out of stock.

PannaCrema - makes some of the very best lather I've found but the scents don't thrill me.

Calani - another excellent soap but it's hard to get. The Malabar scent I have is the only one I've tried and I wasn't fond of it at all at first. i like it now but I'll likely try a different scent next time. I need to try more Calani soaps and find a favorite scent to keep in my rotation because the performance is excellent.

So there are some of my favorites as I think about it now. They do change from time to time but these are all excellent soaps and some of the very best I've found after trying more than anyone I know. I'd recommend any of the soaps listed above without hesitation, especially the Strop Shoppe SE w/tallow, Phoenix Artisan and Cold River Select ones.

If you're looking for something specific and want a recommendation for a particular soap to buy feel free to send me a PM and I'll help you out however I can.

Thanks for that detailed reply! I've got soaps that I love using, but I'm also one who likes to have choices so I'm constantly looking for something new. You have quite a large list so I figured you probably know what you're talking about!

Really appreciate the detailed descriptions and recommendations, David. I haven't tried nearly as many artisans and brands as you have, but I've already reached the point of feeling overwhelmed by high-quality options, and it's now come down to scent for me among very strong contenders. That puts CRSW and particularly Barrister & Mann at the top of my list, though I agree that Strop Shoppe SE performs similarly well; I just don't care much for the Strop Shoppe scents I've tried so far. I do think of these three as being kin in feel and performance.

And my wife makes me out to be weird for having such a large rotation...

AoS Sandalwood
Caswell Massey Almond
RR Captain's Choice Bay Rum
RR Captain's Choice La Famiglia
RR Tobacco #1
RR Tobacco #2
Joshua Tree Soap Works Havana Bay (Lather sucks, have to supplement with KMF - but I LOVE the scent)
Stirling Orange Chill
Stirling Tuscanny
Klar Kabinett

I'm one the 1 soap at a time kick. I'm currently burning through Barrister & Mann Leviathan with Lavanille on deck and Ferox in the wings. After that, it's time to go shopping. Only plan on buying 1 at a time in the future.

For now I have:
1. LA Shaving Soap Topanga Fougere
2. VDH Glycerin scented with Old Spice AS
3. C. O. Bigelow
4. AOS Sandlewood Cream
5. Arko

Slowly I am trying new things.

Right now

1. Stirling beer
2. LPL
3. Mikes barber shop
4. Cella

This will probably change in a few weeks, too many others on the shelf.

Currently rotating through the following soaps, waiting for Spring where I'm considering blowing through as many creams as I can.

Yardley shave stick, grated (in order to bring it back to life) into a mug
Valobra stick
Haslinger Schafmilch
MWF
Tabac
Mudder Focker
Cella

And my wife makes me out to be weird for having such a large rotation...

AoS Sandalwood
Caswell Massey Almond
RR Captain's Choice Bay Rum
RR Captain's Choice La Famiglia
RR Tobacco #1
RR Tobacco #2
Joshua Tree Soap Works Havana Bay (Lather sucks, have to supplement with KMF - but I LOVE the scent)
Stirling Orange Chill
Stirling Tuscanny
Klar Kabinett
How would you compare the difference between tobacco #1 and #2?

Have a few in rotation, in no particular order, just whatever strikes my fancy for the day:

TOBS Sandalwood
Maggard Limes & Bergamot
Maggard London Barbershop
MLS The Kraken
Dapper Dragon
VDH Luxury

My current rotation is Mikes Coconut, Stirling gin and tonic, Stirling padre island, MWF, and cella. A stick of Palmolive is in my travel kit. Soaps that have been "cut" from the team are Williams, Arko,(used for hand soap), Proraso green, PdP, and possibly WSP Fougere noir. WSP and PdP ingredients don't agree with me for some reason. Hands down favourites right now are Mikes and Stirling.

Top Bottom