What's new

What scuttle/mug/lather bowl did you use today?

For some time now, I have been using regular old mugs like my trusty shallow diner mug, but I just got my Georgetown G12, and life is good.
$IMG_2858.jpg$IMG_2860.jpg
BTW, this lather was about 20-30 minutes old.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Robbed a miso bowl from the cupboard... Has- nice base to hold on to, it's glazed so I doesn't hold scent, it has a light pebbly texture that really help whip up the lather, and it was cheap. Just full of win! :thumbup:

I just got a scuttle from Kiwi Pottery here in Alberta, and it was fantastic! This one was one of the first scuttles she's ever made, and they were all gorgeous, and kept the lather warm for the whole shave. She made a bunch for a Canadian shave group I'm part of. The pictures cannot even begin to do it justice!
$image.jpg
$image.jpg
$image.jpg

I just got a scuttle from Kiwi Pottery here in Alberta, and it was fantastic! This one was one of the first scuttles she's ever made, and they were all gorgeous, and kept the lather warm for the whole shave. She made a bunch for a Canadian shave group I'm part of. The pictures cannot even begin to do it justice!

That's a beauty!

Ok, so I really liked the idea of putting ice water into a scuttle when the weather is hot for a refreshing cool shave but didn't want to mess with making the ice water every morning.
My idea, freeze the water overnight without worrying about destroying my scuttle in the process with the expansion of the water as it freezes.
My solution, drill a hole into a double walled stainless steel bowl so I can put water into it and freeze it. I also corked the hole.
I also had to find out how much water I need to use so that there was enough room when it froze.
The formula is simple and waters volume increase about 10% when frozen. The bowl will hold 5oz of water inside the walls. So FV=LV+(LV.10%) or 5.5=5+(5.10%). So to allow enough room I put only 4.5oz of water into the bowl.
This was a fantastically cold lather that was more like a thick crean than fluffy lather a provided the best shave I've had to date.

Great idea Dave! I agree, my ice water shave provided a very thick, cushiony lather, totally unlike any other I've had. It's hard to describe, you just have to try it.

I found this cup at a garage sale for .50 cents. Perfect fit for the Haslinger puck :)

$DSC00270Small collection.jpg

Tomorrow is shave night !!!!!!

Very nice! Out of curiosity, how much water does it hold?
It is the the Georgetown Pottery G12, and hence holds about 12 oz. of water.
They also have a G20 with a larger reservoir. I like this one because it fits nicely on the countertop, (looks good too.). I boil water and fill it when I jump into the shower. It holds the heat well enough so when I come out of the shower it is still hot enough to manage a warm lather and 3 pass shave.
Georgetown Pottery has an assortment of color schemes for G12 or G20 and you can check them out HERE.

Top Bottom