What's new

What tobacco do you use to break in a new pipe

Just as the title states, what do you guys prefer when breaking in a new pipe. I’ve heard Carter Hall and hear of using Prince Albert for breaking in. Do you guys fill the bowl and go for it or do 1/2’s once or twice before a normal filled bowl. I’m assuming everyone has a method they would like to share.

Larry

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Here ya go.

Here ya go.

Thanks Whisky, I did try looking for an older post of this to avoid reposting of the same thing but couldn’t find it. I was sure I wasn’t the only one that had the same question, but glad to see everyone’s preferences and methods. :thumbup1:

Larry

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
So, that high flashpoint, compared to lighter fluid, would it even work in a Zippo?...especially in low temp conditions?

I just smoke the damn thing with whatever. It will break in on its own.

i use to smoke burleys in a new pipe. Now i basically smoke whatever I would be smoking in the pipe. I dont really have a break in ritual.

No break in special procedures. Whatever I’m smoking that day.

All of these for me. I never understood the big commotion people have about breaking in a new pipe. I have always just loaded and smoked my pipes and I haven't noticed any of them have any problems with that routine. Generally I've found that the more fuss required with anything pipe related is often unnecessary. The more you actually think about packing, smoking, tamping, etc. the less relaxing the process...load it and smoke it.

No set choice, though I'm partial to using Sir Walter Raleigh or a similar burley. Generally I choose whatever leaf seems appropriate for the pipe, whether because of the pipe's brand (a Peterson pipe may get a Peterson blend) or because the pipe's shape suggests something to me. Bent pipes often get an English blend for some reason. An English brand pipe may get Capstan (the Tolkien connection); a vintage Dr. Grabow might get a codger blend that would have been on sale when it was new; etc.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Always a simple drugstore Burley. PA, SWR or LLRR.

It smokes them in gently, cooly, and dryly, and will not ghost up anything.

After a couple dozen or so, once a little cake is started, if it's going to be a dedicated pipe (English or something like Mixture Scottish), I'll start to transition it over to that.

But the above classic Burleys work out fine for me always, as that's what most of them see 75% of the time.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
All of these for me. I never understood the big commotion people have about breaking in a new pipe. I have always just loaded and smoked my pipes and I haven't noticed any of them have any problems with that routine. Generally I've found that the more fuss required with anything pipe related is often unnecessary. The more you actually think about packing, smoking, tamping, etc. the less relaxing the process...load it and smoke it.

Most of the factory briars are pre-coated today, so it's almost impossible to screw one up. I usually have the opposite problem: the coating on some of them can taste bad for the first few. Same with a cob. Hard to hurt one. Smoke it normally.

Years ago, other than for a Grabow, that was not the case. And for a raw-bored artisan pipe (most of which are higher priced models), the old school way is a fair approach.

A briar does smoke much more reliably and predictably once it's got a nice cake on it. Make your cake, and decide what you are going to smoke in it longer term. That is usually a simultaneous decision. It's not rocket science.

I agree not to overthink it, other than christening your new Escudo smoker on Sillem's Black might not be the best start. A haunted new pipe can be an annoyance.

And none of this applies to a Meer ... where the rocket scientists start to ponder.

Just as the title states, what do you guys prefer when breaking in a new pipe. I’ve heard Carter Hall and hear of using Prince Albert for breaking in. Do you guys fill the bowl and go for it or do 1/2’s once or twice before a normal filled bowl. I’m assuming everyone has a method they would like to share.

Larry
When I used to smoke my method was use what you normally use. I always used either captain black white or Borkum riff black cavendish. Over time it will break in just fine no rush fill the pipe properly and smoke. I do miss it but having asbestoses in the lungs discovered four years ago convinced me to stop smoking all together.

i have so many pipes in my rotation I don't know if they'll ever break in...Ironically not trying, but my meerschaums seem to build a cake regardless of how I clean them out after reach smoke...

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
I'm not a good pipe smoker. I know what I should be doing, but it doesn't happen. I tend to smoke too fast and too hot. I go with GLP Gaslight for break-in, because I smoke that slower and cooler. I also don't dedicate my pipes, so I don't worry about ghosting.

Top Bottom