What's new

What Kind of Watch Winder Do You Have?

I'm a novice watch collector and only have two automatic watches so I recently purchased this double watch winder and valet made by Heiden.

proxy.php
proxy.php

Wolf Designs had a 50% off sale in June on their products and I almost pulled the trigger on this but couldn't really justify it.

proxy.php
proxy.php

What kind of watch winder do you have?

Last edited:
No watch winder here. I personally don't feel a need to have a winder, unless you have a multi-complication or perpetual calendar watch. To me, keeping you watches on a winder all the time is unnecessary wear.
Having said that, watch collecting is as personal as shaving. If you like the grab-and-go convenience of a winder, then I say go for it.

I have the two watch winder available from brookstone. It was much cheaper than many other winders on the market, and it keeps my watches wound just fine. I've had it for a few months now, and it's still going strong, and is pretty quiet, too.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I've got a 3 watch Orbita Siena - only 1 watch has a more than 2 complications, but I bought into the theory that the lubricants won't get gummy while they are turning at minimum TPD. Super quiet in the bedroom and is around 7 years in on the lifetime warranty. Holds a couple manual wind watches in front below the turnholders. I like it :001_wub:

Attachments

• $IMG_5274.jpg
    $IMG_5274.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 80
Well on the one watch that I own that requires winding I have found that the thumb and first finger of the right hand does a superb job. The auto wind ones sort of take care of themselves.

I'm not a fan of winders and I've had a few. A few outfits make quality units that run forever. The others usually have a limited lifetime and if you looked at the innards of some you would see why. Most folks don't realize many watches run differently on a winder than on your wrist so they may well have to be set before wearing. To me unless you have a complicated watch it's just unnecessary and contributes to premature wear.

I'm a grab and go guy and like my two-watch watch winder. I must admit it is an el cheapo (I just looked at it and it doesn't even have a maker's name on it) but it works. I've had it for three years now, and knock on wood, it does the trick.

Mine was a gift, and if I had bought for myself I probably would have opted for an Orbita or other higher quality model with a good warranty. Must admit though, my experience with my cheaper model has made me consider just buying a cheap model every few years when this one gives up the ghost.

Winders are not necessary and do cause wear to the watch, just like if you are wearing them, but if you switch watches a lot (even with simple date models, I find it a hassle to set the date when I am in a hurry) and you're on the go they are convenient.

Works for me anyway.

I thought winders were to necessary to keep the parts moving and well lubricated. Sounds like that's just watch winder marketing.

I thought winders were to necessary to keep the parts moving and well lubricated. Sounds like that's just watch winder marketing.

Think of a car. If you keep it in a garage and take it out once a week for a nice ride and put 3K miles on it a year the thing will last forever. if you use it every day and put 40K miles a year on it how long will it last?

Top Bottom