What's new

What is the best soap base in 2023?

You might like Signature Soaps from the UK (Coincidentally, the owner's name and initials are BrianH!). I got the Capra soap which is unscented with goat's milk. This soap was made on purpose for people with sensitive skin, eczema, etc. One of the best artisan's soaps I've tried so far. The cost, on sale from Pasteur's, which has free shipping, was $12.99 for 180g.

The scent is like wet clay, from the rhassoul clay he uses in the soap base. Signature does have scented soaps, which use only essential oils in small amounts. Perhaps they are not as well-known, or not scented strongly like most artisan soaps. In performance terms, they are outstanding IMHO. I did not have to pay $40, $50, or $60 to enjoy them.
Thank you. Regards Brian

This has been an issue for years with many companies. Fact is, a stronger smelling soap will sell more. If they use too little scent, people will whine and go for something else the next time. But then some folks will get a contact dermatitis reaction from it.

These little operations can't afford proper allergy testing or anything like that and in many cases their recipes are just winging it or adding more pixie dust (e.g. clay, moisturizers, etc.) to a well established recipe. Sometimes it works okay and sometimes it doesn't. I guess nowadays many companies would pay a YTer to hype their brand or latest "drop".
The option many soap makers have wisely chosen is to add a scent-free soap to their lineup. That makes (nearly) everyone happy - those who love their soap scents, and those who love the soap base but not the scent.

Martin de candre will always be my workhorse. But as far as sheer luxury goes it feels like a toss up between GD maxima formula, barrister and Manns Omnibus, and ethos F. All absolutely bonkers slickness profiles. Could probably shave with a butter knife with them. Ethos especially, that soap might be expensive but it feels quite unique

New to traditional shaving, I’ve been working my way through a number of artisan & independent soaps. I‘ve got a bunch of samples and a few full tubs I blind bought.

Out of everything I’ve tried so far, Phoenix Shaving’s CK-6 base was by far the stand out and had the best performance.

That said, I’d like to get at least half a dozen shaves with each brand and really dial them in before making the call.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
For my money, it’s the Grooming Dept Kairos SE 2023

IMG_3975.jpeg

Yes, I recently traded for Wonderland and Iris. And after a few shaves with them, I think I might agree with you. I’m not ready to render a final verdict yet though.
Don't agree nor disagree. I like them both. It's easy to over load the newer soaps and have to keep adding too much water or else the lather needs to get worked up far too much. I try to load from the tub for no more than 10-12 seconds so my lathers aren't too rich. Mo finds wet shavers prefer denser lathers so it seems he's been pushing the lather density in that direction. Worst thing you can do is swirl that brush for 30 seconds and end up with a tacky mess that will take far too much water to get right.

I prefer the Aion, but with that said I kept 3 of the Kairos SE’s that I would put up against the Aion,
they are Ousia II, Ketoret, and Luxor.

Mo just makes the best soap

Doug

I have used quite a number of artisan soaps from the US and like them all. Can't get a better deal than Mike's or Stirling. My favorites at this point, however, are from across the pond, SV and MDC. Also have a couple tubs of tallow Tabac and La Toja sticks.

I am seriously considering getting a GD soap in his most recent Kairos base. Any recommendations? Maybe something sweet and gourmandy?

Any of the special editions still available in Kairos?

I am seriously considering getting a GD soap in his most recent Kairos base. Any recommendations? Maybe something sweet and gourmandy?

My favorite Kario SE‘s are: Ketoret, Luxor and Ousia II.

Not really any of them are available anywhere, you really need to order them when they first come out.

Sorry,

Look on the BST and see if someone is selling any

He's planning on releasing gourmand-y scents soon, but in the mallard base which is pretty close to Kairos. Keep tabs on the social media site and sign up for emails. You can also check Murphy and McNeil.

Top Bottom