What's new

What is the best soap base in 2023?

Hello,

Reading about ethos I was thinking about trying it. I just wonder if it is the kind of soap that stick too much to your skin after shaving? It is a little bit difficult to explain, but there are some soaps I do not like because I feel like I cannot rinse them well enough. If any of you having tried can tell thank you.

No it is not that kind of soap.

It is rinsed off perfectly. There is no residue oil.

@ohansen Why is the use of EOS Complex illegal? As far as I understand, Frank, the founder and owner of Ethos, was the developer of the formulation and that trademark. Frank has a long legacy in product development in skin and hair care products and has collaborated with leading groups in that industry.

And I guess I have to ask what ingredients is he using that do not exist? I find that hard to believe as it would violate a number of ethical and legal standards. Given Frank's presence in the industry I doubt he is going to put his reputation at risk for something like that.
I was a little confused by this too.

A couple top-tier soaps to add to the amazing ones already mentioned:
Tallow + Steel
Wholly Kaw siero base (I really want to try the crème fraiche formula too)

I tried declaration today for the first time and it is very good, but I need a few more times to dial it perfectly.
Having said that, I think Stirling base is excellent and imho on par with declaration.
It boils down to the scent, and Declaration is very bold indeed.

Kairos
Omnibus
K2e
Aon/Kodiak
MacDuffs v4

Those 5, in no particular order, are the absolute elite. That said, I find Mike's Naturals and all 4 of Stirling's bases to offer 98% of what the aforementioned five do for a fraction of the price.

My current favourite
Tabac: Veggie or tallow, love ‘em both.

IMG_5771.jpeg

Best - a euphemism meaning favorite.
Overrated - a euphemism meaning not my favorite.
Underrated - a euphemism meaning my favorite - why isn't it yours?

But if there were to be a best base it would, of course, be SV 4.3.
Not always

Ethos F is a phenomenal soap that many, myself included, will not use because of its absurd pricing strategy.
I think MacDuffs v4 is an absolute banger of a base, but I don't particularly enjoy using it because of how soft it is. Same with milksteak.

Painting with broad strokes though, I'd wager you're correct.

I am not that sophisticated so I will say, in my opinion, the best soap base in 2023 starts with tallow. The rest is somehow less important to me.

I say the best soap base in 2023 just to comply with the request in the title, although it has been the best base since forever, when someone discovered the mix of ashes and fat.

There are few exceptions of course. Haslinger being one.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I am not that sophisticated so I will say, in my opinion, the best soap base in 2023 starts with tallow. The rest is somehow less important to me.

I say the best soap base in 2023 just to comply with the request in the title, although it has been the best base since forever, when someone discovered the mix of ashes and fat.

There are few exceptions of course. Haslinger being one.
You should, of course, enjoy whatever works for you. I would note that MdC and SV are very heavily represented on every favorite soap list - and neither contains tallow.

You should, of course, enjoy whatever works for you. I would note that MdC and SV are very heavily represented on every favorite soap list - and neither contains tallow.
Swap out soaps for any topic asking what the best is. It can only be determined by what works best for the individual.
In my case, it’s the soap that I use the most which happens to be Tabac. Old or new formula makes no difference to me.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I can’t say what is “best” because I have not conducted a scientific study on softness, protective qualities, glide, nor any other criteria for “best” soap base. And I have not tried every soap base available today. But I can state my favorite three. This is in descending order with favorite first:

B&M Omnibus
The Holy Black
Southern Witchcrafts

PAA CK-6 gets an honorable mention. But as other bases evolve, CK-6 is starting to get spit out the back of the peloton. Still a great slick and protective base.

I have not tried Ethos or Grooming Dept. Frankly I have enough soap and don’t want to go down any more rabbit holes in that regard. I am sure they are both excellent. But I can’t rate what I haven’t tried.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I can’t say what is “best” because I have not conducted a scientific study on softness, protective qualities, glide, nor any other criteria for “best” soap base. And I have not tried every soap base available today. But I can state my favorite three. This is in descending order with favorite first:

B&M Omnibus
The Holy Black
Southern Witchcrafts
I found B&M Omnibus to be a strange soap to lather. It took me quite a while to figure it out, but it certainly did provide very nice shaves after that. I didn't actually keep a record, but I'm quite sure it's the most expensive soap I've used to date. Longevity is not the middle name of this soap.

I found B&M Omnibus to be a strange soap to lather. It took me quite a while to figure it out, but it certainly did provide very nice shaves after that. I didn't actually keep a record, but I'm quite sure it's the most expensive soap I've used to date. Longevity is not the middle name of this soap.
It's easy to way overload this soap in my experience- especially if you're coming from a hard puck that requires some working with a brush. I've found you really only need about a 10-12 second load time with a brush to pick up enough soap for a 3 pass shave plus touch ups. Picking up too much and you'll spend forever adding water because it takes a ton of water and its also reduces the longevity of your tub. I think on average a 4 oz tub will last around 40 shaves if one is not wasteful, but it can be pushed out by loading less. I suspect an every day bowl latherer could get closer to 50 shaves with a tub of omnibus. I would say 2 full months of daily shaving with a tub of this soap is a stretch.

Top Bottom