What's new

Shelf life. How to use artisan soaps? Rotate or use one by one

I've been wetshaving thanks to B&B for 8 years now. 7 of those years I stuck with tallow tabac, MWF and palmolive soap sticks; used with a muhle R89.
Now finally i've started spreading out into other items. I have recently bought a Rocca R96 and Henson mild; both amazing razors for their uses.

Now I finally decided to treat myself with some artisan soaps. Ariana and Evans Amber rose (k2e base was well reviewed), Stirling barbershop (old posts here about the soap when it was new), Stirling Mountain man and a HAGS Tarocchi.

I was wondering if rotating them is okay or should I go one by one. Since they seem way more perishable than the commercial ones I have used so far. I have seen insane soap collections here so wanted to know if leaving soap to dry (lid open) after use is enough; even though labels say 12m after opening is their shelf life.

I would love to know how you all would use the soaps. I am already smitten with the scent of Amber rose which is the only one I have used so far.

I would love a discussion regarding this topic on shelf life regardless

3c9276be-f6ba-406b-aea1-e352a2a16df3.jpg

5652e951-9a82-4b64-a056-88f706cdab08.jpg

I rotate. I also don’t do any special aftercare other than wiping excess lather with clean cloth, lid on, put away. I have about 15 soaps I rotate through and haven’t had any issues. Several are years in use, no problems so far.
Thankyou, I was worried they'd need some very special treatment after the regular soaps I have used so far.

Reactions: Kix
I scoop a little soap out of the container for each shave and put it in a Timeless bowl and build lather there. I don't know if it helps extend the shelf life of the soap but I figure it can't hurt. Also, the vast majority of soaps/croaps should stay fresh for more than 12 months. I can't think of any that have gone bad on me that fast. Enjoy your new soaps and beware of SAD (soap acquisition disorder)!

So far I have rotated soaps (lately I use one soap a month) and loading directly or scooping (I prefer this) seems to make no difference for the soap itself. My refills for Mike’s Natural have become darker/discoloured so I transferred these to glass jars, but again doesn’t seem to affect qualities.

Guido

I am quite sceptical of what flies under the ‘artisan’ moniker these days, but I would rather give up any ‘artisan’ shaving soap than be forced to use one until it’s finished.

I enjoy shaving with different soaps too much to even contemplate this.

B.

I leave the top off of the soap for a few hours to let it dry. Then, I close it up and put it in a drawer. I do rotate through the (7) active soaps each week. In the B&B spirit, I do have another drawer with four or five unopened soaps. The good news I’d that I have almost 3017-ed my T&H 1805. When I do I will bring in one of my unused soaps.

I leave the top off of the soap for a few hours to let it dry. Then, I close it up and put it in a drawer. I do rotate through the (7) active soaps each week. In the B&B spirit, I do have another drawer with four or five unopened soaps. The good news I’d that I have almost 3017-ed my T&H 1805. When I do I will bring in one of my unused soaps.
"In the B&B spirit" 🤣.
Brilliant!👏

I do this as well, and I load from the tub and face lather. I leave the top off of the tub after its last use (I typically go 5 days on a soap) and put it back on the following morning. I have 14 "active" soaps in rotation. No mold or anything else icky has happened over the 8 years I have been doing this.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
"In the B&B spirit" 🤣.
Brilliant!👏

I will have you know fine sir, that the proper B&B spirit, is not assuming any shred of restraint whatsoever, while pretending that the GRUME and RESTRAINT threads are not even there. All self respecting B&B'ers must find themselves to the rabbit hole, and take a deep dive into it. Only then, can they become one, with the wet shaving force. This is the way doggone!

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I'm not a soap maker or scientist, but I can't imagine why they would be more perishable. They're still soap, with some higher quality ingredients. I'm currently using the same soap every day because I'm doing a longevity test and I'm impatient, but I also have a couple that are half finished and years old. They don't seem to mind.

Some members are rotating 47,652 soaps and doing fine. I would suggest two things that are probably true:
1. If you constantly leave the cover off for days you're liable to lose some scent.
2. If you regularly cover sopping wet soap you're likely to eventually soften the soap.

It's just good soap. It's not particularly fragile. Use it and enjoy yourself.

I don't know who suggested 12 minutes for shelf life in relation to the position of the lid, but I strongly suspect they're full of soap (or some other material).

Top Bottom