What's new

What is the best soap base in 2023?

I'm almost done 3017ing my Lothur Dave in V2 base, and Black Friday is when I'd like to buy a new soap to replace it. The last time I bought soaps, the latest and greatest soap bases in terms of total performance and post-shave quality were Ariana and Evans K2e, Barrister and Mann Omnibus, and Lothur Grooming V2. In the past I had several youtubers I relied on to speak at length about the quality of soap bases and unfortunately they have vanished. I also don't see much talk here on the best soap bases (most of the conversation seems to fall in the realm of "this is good value for money and it works for me" like Stirling, Haslinger, Arko, etc), so I thought I'd create a new thread to be a bit of a measuring stick for the 2023 landscape of soap bases. Have things changed significantly since 2021? Are the top soap bases still Omnibus, K2e, and Lothur V2? Have new soap bases come out that just crush the old competition?

Last edited:
I'm trying to decide between Gentleman's Nod C4+ and Grooming Dept's Kairos SE 2023..
Grooming Cult Prometheus 2.1 has my bronze medal.
Los Jabones de Joserra Duck fat and tallow and Barrister and Mann Omnibus are completing my top5 bases.

Last edited:
Looks like Kairos SE is the early favorite with Declaration Grooming and Ethos right behind. I'm going to be honest, my jaw dropped when I saw Kairos SE soaps were $29 for 4 ounces, and my jaw completely fell off my face when I saw Ethos was $60 for 4.5 ounces. Are they in the category of "a little goes a long way" or are they soft soaps that don't last very long?

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Some are $60 some are $40 depends on the ingredients used.
Frank is using high end scent products, the best available essential oils he can get. Some of these oils are extremely expensive.
Just google the cost for sandalwood essential oil like here:

Like a 0.5 oz for $75.

The cost of the ingredients he claims to use far exceeds the price at which he sells his soap. It's unlikely that he could produce and sell hundreds of jars of soap at that price point. I have talked to few soap makers, I have dabbled with making soap.

Looks like Kairos SE is the early favorite with Declaration Grooming and Ethos right behind. I'm going to be honest, my jaw dropped when I saw Kairos SE soaps were $29 for 4 ounces, and my jaw completely fell off my face when I saw Ethos was $60 for 4.5 ounces. Are they in the category of "a little goes a long way" or are they soft soaps that don't last very long?
All of the grooming Dept labels show 4 oz but the jars are always filled with way more than that. These latest soaps at the razor company are closer to 6 oz for $29. For the quality you're getting the pricing is the most competitive.

Top Bottom