What's new

What happened to aqua Velva?

Update December 2023

Visited Walmart Supercenter in Milwaukee this morning.
On the shelves they had: Aqua Velva (both ice blue and musk), Old Spice, Brut, and Mennen Skin Bracer!

This weekend I tried two different CVS stores; two different Walmart stores; and two different Walgreens. None of them carry Aqua Velva aftershave. One sales person at a Walgreens actually said, “We haven’t carried aftershave in at least a year. It seems no men shave anymore, or at least they don’t use aftershave anymore.“
Perhaps it’s a local phenomenon here in Milwaukee. Do you guys have any trouble finding aftershaves? (none of the stores had Old Spice either).
Blame the Woke the alcohol in the aftershave is too harsh or dangerous for them !
No problem finding Aqua Velva of any scent here in Canada in large 7.0oz bottles and they are cheap like $4.99($3.59usd) at the large drugmart chains here you can also find them on Amazon.ca for the same price, but Mennen Skin Bracer is another story can't find any here at least not in the larger size bottle plus they cost more than the boutique aftershaves on Amazon. I don't understand how they can charge over $50 for a bottle of Skin Bracer.

I am returning to these classic inexpensive aftershaves again and currently looking for rectangular glass bottles to transfer over for these plastic bottles. Kicking myself for throwing out all those glass bottles 2-3 decades back.

I am returning to these classic inexpensive aftershaves again and currently looking for rectangular glass bottles to transfer over for these plastic bottles. Kicking myself for throwing out all those glass bottles 2-3 decades back.

The Glass bottles sure look nice, but I am not one who buys into the plastic bottle panic. If its staying in the plastic long enough to go bad, your not using enough of it 🤣. Splash it on until the Old Lady complains, then splash a little more for good measure.

So, man-on-the-street update, from today's trip to Wally World, spotted the following aftershaves:

Adidas
Gillette
Aqua Velva (Ice Blue and Musk)
Old Spice Classic (AS and clogne)
Mennen Skin Bracer
Stetson
Brut

Picked up another 7oz bottle of Ice Blue for under 5 bucks.
My Walmart has those as well @gpjoe ……
Along with Vitalis!

Our Walmarkets in South Louisiana still have it, Old Spice, Brut, and Skin Bracer, the shelves stay stocked. Aqua Velva is one of my favorite aftershaves. Iced Blue in the summer and Musk all winter long. It just does not get any better than that.
Yup, same idea here the Ice Blue for summer and the Musk for winter or for strengthening up the Blue for those summer nights out. I have read the Musk blends well with the Blue and there is no clash.

The Glass bottles sure look nice, but I am not one who buys into the plastic bottle panic. If its staying in the plastic long enough to go bad, your not using enough of it 🤣. Splash it on until the Old Lady complains, then splash a little more for good measure.
Many Aqua Velva users say it mellows better in the glass bottles which has some scientific merit because no matter what type of plastic the bottles are made out of air tends to get in through the microscopic pores of the plastic bottles over time. This is why butter is still wrapped in foil paper and potato chips use these foil/Mylar type bags for the same reason. I think a glass bottle just feels better when you get your hand on it everyday and makes feel like a higher end product. You are right that using a good amount is the purpose of an aftershave to serve as an antiseptic and astringent while a good or favorable smell is a bonus and the very reason I am coming back to these affordable classics as to using the more expensive stuff you tend to use less of it.

Last edited:
My local pharmacy carries Pinaud Clubman, Afta and some newer Gillette AS balms. They also carry Tres Flores Brilliantine Hair Tonic .. kind of nice to see some old school stuff

Top Bottom