What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

- I can get a CCS in one pass from a Dorco Pace4 cartridge with no irritation using my current prep and good lather.
- I don't get the wonderful feeling associated with a proper shave when using a cart in a hurry.
- My mornings suck and I am less happy when I don't take the time to use my DE.

That I actually may have found another soap that works with my sensitive skin and that would be MWF. Not sure what to make of the feeling afterwards and definitely need to work on the lather.

I think whether a newbie or an experienced shaver, you should always learn something from every shave, no matter what it is.

So, I guess i'll start.

Today I learned not to get greedy looking for a BBS shave, and that a 2 pass with clean ups is enough for a DFS.

I am new to safety razors. I have an EJ DE861. First time shaving I learned that a light touch and not being greedy is important. Third shave I learned that I like the Feather blades much better than Gillette Blues. Last night I used a Gillette New Long Comb that my friend loaned me. I used an Astra. I learned that for one day growth the EJ with a Feather is much more comfortable. I also learned that I most likely need to change the angle a bit with the new.

i moved from my futur experiment to my gillette thin adjustable. did 9 WTG; 7 XTG and 4 ATG. wonderful shave, BBS. another thread in this forum talks about technique, and i truly agree; go slow and pay attention.

there's always a plan B

When shaving with an outside window behind you, don't be distracted by the image in the mirror of a large crow flying past the window :blink:
Revisiting this...especially true for a cruising mini-flock of turkey vultures!! When one flew directly over the skylight in the bathroom, it was like an eclipse...very distracting.

My 2nd shave with a Laser Stainless before slinging it.
My 1st shave yesterday was ok, but I struggled towards the end
My shave today was just mediocre and took a lot more buffing than normal

IMHO Laser Stainless are ok for a weekend break, but I wouldn't fancy using one every day for a week !!

Today I learnt from my last shave about pre shave oil which I used on my last shave now I swapped that for kyles prep and I must say kyles prep is fantastic

Learned that while I still think Personna Med Preps are the best DE razor blades I've used, there is some evidence of variation in quality from blade to blade. By no means is this a significant problem, nor a deal breaker, but I and tossed a blade after one shave today.

- I get tempted to use too much pressure when using a light weight razor like a Gillette Super Speed.
- I need to spend more time using my Super Speeds.
- I can get more than 5 good shaves out of an Astra SP. Yay me.

That's funny because I find when I use noxzema as a pre shave before using arko, it makes arko perform even better! [emoji1] ymmv
It was the smell, not the performance! Mind you, it was a new tub of Noxzema, and I'd read that the formulation had changed? I've used them together before without an issue, so something is different this time around.

It was the smell, not the performance! Mind you, it was a new tub of Noxzema, and I'd read that the formulation had changed? I've used them together before without an issue, so something is different this time around.
You know what, I noticed a change in the tub of noxzema I got a couple weeks ago. The smell now vaguely reminds me of sunblock 😮

Top Bottom