What's new

What are your other hobbies?

Home gardening
Saltwater fish keeping (can be done on the cheap)
Going to yard sales looking for treasures then selling said treasures on eBay
Scale modeling
Coin shooting
Hiking
Fly tying

Agreed. Maintaining an aquarium on the cheap (IMO) is better for the fish and more rewarding as a hobby. What I mean by that, is that once you understand the basics about the fish themselves and the water chemistry that they live in, you'll soon realize that you don't need 99% of the crap marketed towards maintaining fish. Most people pump their aquariums so full of expensive chemicals that don't really do anything that it's amazing there's any water left for the fish to swim in!

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Agreed. Maintaining an aquarium on the cheap (IMO) is better for the fish and more rewarding as a hobby. What I mean by that, is that once you understand the basics about the fish themselves and the water chemistry that they live in, you'll soon realize that you don't need 99% of the crap marketed towards maintaining fish. Most people pump their aquariums so full of expensive chemicals that don't really do anything that it's amazing there's any water left for the fish to swim in!

You're right, it shouldn't be all that complicated. Make sure all of the nitrogen cycles have settled into place, don't overfeed/overcrowd, provide reasonable foam fractionation, and have a good biological filter (I like a fluidized bed) and you'll do fine.

As I mentioned in a previous post, car detailing can be done for cheap, and if 'ge t the bug', you'll be doing it quite frequently. Though it can be an AD candidate, you can get great results with a relatively small initial outlay.

I like the fishing suggestion too.

I enjoy watches, cooking (especially low country), Harley-Davidson motorcycles, cigars, traveling and hanging out with my wife.

Music - I play trumpet & cornet. Although I have played in orchestras and big bands in the past, I now stick pretty much to brass bands (www.cubbingtonsiverband.com).

Walking. I just love mountains. Last August we completed the Coast to Coast Walk (per A Wainwright) - basically a walk across England.

Learn a martial art. About $200 in base equipment and $1000 per year for classes. Many many secondary benefits.

+1 I received my black belt when I was a young teenager. I think it did a lot for me. It's a great teaching tool for kids, with discipline, athletics, focus and self confidence.

Top Bottom