What's new

What Are You Reading?

Okay, I'm going to let you in on a secret... You don't have to read past Dune and this is coming from a huge Dune fan... Children and Messiah aren't bad but skippable. God Emperor is painful. Heretics is rather meh. Chapterhouse couldn't hold my interest. If you want to read on don't let me stop you, I'm just a guy no great novel reviewer.
I loved dune, have read it many times. Loved the movie and the miniseries. Couldn't get past about page 20 of children of dune

Started on Black Prism by Brent Weeks this morning. Good so far (only four chapters in). I really enjoyed his Shadow Trilogy and it looks like this one will be a similarly fun ride.

Cheers,

M.

The shadow series was great. I'm waiting for his next series to be finished before I start. Learned that lesson with kings gunslinger series--20 years of frustrated waiting. George rr Martin seems to be on a similar track, at least I found those just as book 5 was coming out. Another great, incomplete series is the king killer chronicles by Patrick rothfuss. Every time I look online the last books publication is pushed back further:cursing:

Same with Joseph Heller. Catch 22 was genius. Closing Time made me actually want to burn a book.
Catch 22 genius? I suppose I probably tried it at the wrong stage of my life, but I got half way through and gave up waiting for something to actually happen, rather than yet another pointless yet amusing anecdote about yet another screwball character.

Okay, I'm going to let you in on a secret... You don't have to read past Dune and this is coming from a huge Dune fan... Children and Messiah aren't bad but skippable. God Emperor is painful. Heretics is rather meh. Chapterhouse couldn't hold my interest. If you want to read on don't let me stop you, I'm just a guy no great novel reviewer.

I somewhat remember such from when I tried the rest of the series before. Nevertheless I shall give it a go.

When it's all over I shall reward myself with some L'Amour.

Books from the just completed vacation: finished up Lords of the Sea - The Epic Story of the Athenian Navy and the Birth of Democracy and started Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. Really enjoying it so far!

Here is the list of the books that I have recently finished:

• Stephen King - Salem's Lot
  • Alan Goldsher - Paul is Undead
  • Robert Heinlein - Starship Troopers
  • Cormac McCarthy - Child Of God
  • 99 Drams of Whiskey - Kate Hopkins

"Second Glance" written by Jodi Picoult. It was not very excellent at all. The abhorrent eugenics research and atrocities that took position in the US in the very beginning 20th century and the more contemporary growing technological innovation of inherited choice.

Last edited:
Right now, I am re-reading all of the Lee Child/Jack Reacher books on my Kindle. I also have all of the John Sandford books (Prey novels, Virgil Flowers, etc) as well as many other books on my Kindle. I never thought I'd want an electronic book, but my wife got me a Kindle several years ago for Christmas, so I had to try it...and found I really like it.

Temple of the Winds, Terry Goodkind

Read the first few in the series which I really liked. This one kind of annoys me, the characters are beginning to do stupid things. They are doing things/making decisions that their character never would, which keeps the story going. I hate when authors do that.

I'm currently making my way through all of the Wizard of Oz books. I know, I know, they were originally written as children's books, but so far, I've really enjoyed what I've read. I'm only about a third of the way into the 2nd of fourteen books, so I've got a way to go, yet, but it's easy reading and fairly fantasy based. I'm not usually into the fantasy genre, but maybe these will be my gateway books, so to speak...:001_rolle

I finished Orson Scott Card's "Speaker for the Dead" last night. It was the sequel to Ender's Game and frankly I didn't find it as compelling a read. There are two more books in the series, but I am going to back burner them in favor of something else.

Next up is Don Winslow's "Way Down on the High Lonely", the third of his Neil Carey mysteries.

"Heart of a Servant Leader" by C. John Miller
Milton's Paradise Lost (Christina Guides to the Classics) - Leland Ryken
And an old Clive Cussler Novel

Evelyn Waugh - Vile Bodies
Graham Greene - The Heart Of The Matter
Robert W. Chambers - In Search of The Unknown
William Hope Hodgson - Carnacki
Saki - Beasts and Superbeasts
M.R. James - collected short stories
H.P. Lovecraft - collected works
and some drupal, wordpress, dreamweaver manuals...if those count.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Right now, I'm working my way through Max Brook's 2006 horror novel "World War Z" (haven't seen the movie just yet).

"Through a series of oral interviews compiled by the narrator (an agent of the UN Postwar Commission), the story of the global war against zombies, "World War Z," is told. The story begins with the interview of a Chinese medical doctor who relates the story of a young infected boy who is the pandemic's"patient zero", although the origin of the zombie pandemic is unknown. It is implied that the boy was not the first victim chronologically, but his infection (as well as those he infected) are the first to be recorded, and marked the point the Chinese government attempts to contain the infection and concocts a crisis involving Taiwan to mask their activities. The infection is spread to other countries by the black market organ trade and by refugees, with a larger outbreak in South Africa bringing the plague to public attention".

$World_War_Z_book_cover.jpg

Read More: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_Z

proxy.php
“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn the more places you’ll go.” Dr. Seuss

Top Bottom