What's new

What Are You Reading?

Necessary Secrets: National Security, the Media, and the Rule of Law by Gabriel Schoenfeld. It's a couple of years old but still quite relevant. I'll take a break from the professional reading since I'll be in NCO Academy soon, so I think A Memory of Light is next. It's been sitting on my shelf since the release and I haven't taken the time to read it.

$fbb2be9f-3104-4c70-a261-f065957e21a1.jpg

just finished "We were soldiers once... and young, Battle of Ia Drang" by Ret Col. Moore. He was in the combat ops. Amaing book, like matterhorn. My favorite books on 'Nam.
Now reading Lions of Khandahar (Special Ops training and handing over to Afghan Military forces).
I really love the Vietnam era books more. Seems like we had a higher quality of writers due to the public being more versed in books and reading & writing. I love Hemingway's work so maybe I'm biased. As well as WWII books. I finished "Ghost soldiers" a while back. Great book on the rescue mission to save the stranded US soldiers from the Japanese imprisonment camps in the SE Pacific. That side of the war was brutal.

just finished "We were soldiers once... and young, Battle of Ia Drang" by Ret Col. Moore. He was in the combat ops. Amaing book, like matterhorn. My favorite books on 'Nam.
Now reading Lions of Khandahar (Special Ops training and handing over to Afghan Military forces).
I really love the Vietnam era books more. Seems like we had a higher quality of writers due to the public being more versed in books and reading & writing. I love Hemingway's work so maybe I'm biased. As well as WWII books. I finished "Ghost soldiers" a while back. Great book on the rescue mission to save the stranded US soldiers from the Japanese imprisonment camps in the SE Pacific. That side of the war was brutal.

Agreed, both on Hemingway (Spanish Revolution!) and Vietnam.

My favorite Vietnam book is About Face by Col. David Hackworth. There are certainly other very good books on Vietnam, but this book made a difference in how I led my own troops as an NCO.

In related news, Winston Churchill's books are highly recommended. I still have my hardbound copies of A History of the English Speaking Peoples.

Last edited:
Enjoying "Fighting the Flying Circus" by Eddie Rickenbacker. A fine example of what Americans thought and did 100 years ago. Also, as a bonus, it was a free download on my Nook.

Just started All The Shah's Men. I recently married into a Persian family, so I feel like it'd be a good idea to further educate myself on the history behind our nations' strained relationship.

I've been in a Cartesian mood of late...

Descartes: The Life and Times of a Genius by A. C. Grayling
Discourse on Method by Descartes
Meditations on First Philosophy by Descartes

It's remarkable how the long years since college infuse so much more meaning into books like this.

Just started All The Shah's Men. I recently married into a Persian family, so I feel like it'd be a good idea to further educate myself on the history behind our nations' strained relationship.

If you don't mind a slightly more academic read, Nikki Keddie's Modern Iran: Roots and Results of Revolution is also excellent.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Moby Dick is a great book I must revisit. I will check out the others. Just started re-reading Scarlet Letter.

On edit: re-reading A Separate Peace

Last edited:
Top Bottom