What's new

What Are You Reading?

read the first part of Don Quixote. (part one originally published 1605, part two in 1615) liked it.
then i read Moby Dick. really liked it.
then i read The Red Badge of Courage. didn't much care for it.
now i am reading part two of Don Quixote. enjoying it.

before that, i read A Tale of Two Cities. that one took a position as one of my all time favorite books.

didn't read many of the classics when i was young. bluffed my way through school assignments. but now that i am older, i am really enjoying them.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Haven't started this yet, and won't until I find Jurassic Park. But I just had to share my good fortune. Found this at a thrift store for 75cents! Hardcover and in great shape, dustcover is still intact too. For 75cents how could I go wrong?

Toothpick- Jurassic Park was absolutely excellent!!

I haven't been able to get into other books by Michael Crichton so far, they get too detailed and have too many characters for my mind to keep up with. I haven't tried The Lost World yet, gonna put it in my Kindle and see how I do.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Toothpick- Jurassic Park was absolutely excellent!!

I haven't been able to get into other books by Michael Crichton so far, they get too detailed and have too many characters for my mind to keep up with. I haven't tried The Lost World yet, gonna put it in my Kindle and see how I do.
I've never read any of his books. Jurassic Park will be the first as soon as I acquire it. I'm enjoying the Game of Thrones series so I imagine lots details and lots of characters will add to the enjoyment.

I bought most of Crichton's books over the years, and enjoyed many of them. Jurassic Park was great, and I also liked The Andromeda Strain and Timeline. Unfortunately, there are a number of others on my shelves that I wish I had found for $0.75 instead of paying cover prices.

Right now, I'm working my way through Max Brook's 2006 horror novel "World War Z" (haven't seen the movie just yet).

I thought the book was highly enjoyable, but don't let it get your hopes up if you plan on seeing the movie afterwards. The two have pretty much nothing in common aside from the title, zombies, and a wall around Israel. The book looks at the range of human behavior -- societal, institutional, and individual -- in the face of something horrific, and the movie is Brad Pitt saving the world.

The Flames of Shadam Khoreh (book 3 of The Lays of Anuskaya) by Bradley Beaulieu. It's a pretty good fantasy series: muskets, flying ships, and magic.

I bought a Neil Gaiman anthology recently that includes both American Gods and Anansi Boys. American Gods was very good. I'm taking a little break before getting into Anansi Boys.

Finished a couple books recently. The Lightbringer Cycle by Brent Weeks (books 1 and 2 are released) and this morning finished off The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett, book one of The Warded Man series. reading book two (The Desert Spear) now and will be reading book three (The Daylight War) next.

Cheers,

M.

The Marseilles Trilogy, 3 books by Jean-Claude Izzo, advertised as "European Noir", don't know about that, but good books, well written, well defined and interesting characters and plots that hold your (at least my) interest.

Finished "Way Down on the High Lonely" by Don Winslow, the third in the Neal Carey series of novels. This one lost steam pretty early; the good guys/bad guys plot was heavy handed and the climax rushed and unfocused. I am going to take a break from this writer, esp since the most recent Odd Thomas book by Dean Koontz arrived at the library yesterday.

After that I may run through a couple more of Lee Child's Jack Reacher books

Jo Nesbo is great!

I'm reading the Hangman's Daughter series. Sort of a guilty pleasure. I am not convinced people were really that ignorant in the 1600s--a good torturing to obtain confessions as the way to a fair and accurate justice system--but maybe I am naive.

I was on vacation for the past couple of weeks, and had to read a handful of books. I was fortunate in that I found them all enjoyable.

"Catching Fire"- Collins
"Soothsayer", "Oracle" and "Prophet" by Mike Resnick; They were all well written and I recommend the series. However, if you've never read anything by Resnick, "Santiago" is the one to start with. I'm a big science fiction fan, and in my opinion, this is the most under-rated sci-fi out there. It's a great read, and one of the best I've read in the past few years, ranking with "Old Man's War". And "Player of Games".
"Tuf Voyaging" by George RR Martin, written prior to his excellent "Game of Thrones" series.
I also read half of "Inferno" but so far I find it inferior to "The DaVinci Code".

Mike

I'm currently reading Wild hares and Hummingbirds: The Natural history of an English village by Stephen Moss
A lovely book about the wildlife in and around a village not too far from where I grew up in Somerset (England), and how that wildlife changes with the seasons and the passing of the year. Interesting and well written, well worth a look if you're even remotely interested.

The Last Man by Vince Flynn. Always loved his books. So far, it's as exciting and draws you into the story just like his previous books.

On the other hand, I'm still struggling through Against All Enemies by Tom Clancy/Peter Telep. It just doesn't grab my like Clancy's books do.

Slowly reading The Family by Mario Puzo. I assumed it would be another mob story but was surprised to find out it is about the Borgias. So far it's better than I expected.

I am mid-way through "How to Solve It" by G.Polya. If you can find this I would recommend it to all teachers and to parents that want to learn how to teach their children. The book is geared to mathematics; however you could use it to teach problem solving on any level.
:thumbup1:

Top Bottom