What's new

Well, I guess I should start a journal

Wow, thanks for the warm welcome 🙏

I had planned to talk about last night’s shave and then begin cataloguing my shaving paraphernalia when life decided to throw a curveball. Spent the better part of the day doing a brake job, but the upside is I was in town close to the local antique shop. The nice lady knows I’m often in there looking for shaving gear, so she set a couple razors aside for me. The first was a gem g bar, which I don’t have (yet), but the other was an open comb 3 piece I haven’t come across before. I thought it was an old type, but the base plate doesn’t match. The head was completely black when I got it. No before pictures unfortunately. I will try to get better in the future

Attachments

• IMG_0030.jpeg
    IMG_0030.jpeg
    952.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0029.jpeg
    IMG_0029.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0031.jpeg
    IMG_0031.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
Since I missed the last shave, I used a Sheraton with a fresh lab blue and cremo amber in the shower. One pass with minimal touch up as I was in a time crunch to get from work to a gig. Great close shave, doubt it was full bbs but I didn’t invest the time. Zero irritation. Lined everything up with a straight. I know I am going against years worth of great advice here, learning to hone/shave at the same time, but the results have been positive so far. Tonight I’ll try out this new razor that I think is a new improved head on a skinny ball end handle. The handle is thinner and heavier than my others. The head has no serial number and a bit of damage on the corner, but I’m not too worried. You only live once

Finally got around to using this New Improved head. I know the handle is a mismatch, but I like the heft of it, despite being pretty thin. I need to see if I have a handle that could match, but it’s not that big of a deal to me. The shave was great. I tend towards the more efficient razors and less passes, and this one got me where I like to be in one plus a bit of touch up. It is not as efficient as my old type with a shim, but is much smoother (My Old has a wobbly blade no matter what I put in it, and I found a shim is the only way to ‘safely’ use it. I may try a bit of heat shrink or similar on the posts). Again I shaved in the shower with Cremo. I have a decent brush and great soaps, but I also share a shower and am often short on time. I have no rating system for my shaves, but it was quick and smooth. Finished with PAA Copalli.

Attachments

• IMG_0031.jpeg
    IMG_0031.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
It has been a while, so I will begin by recapping my last few shaves: New Improved, Stirling Texas On Fire, PAA Green Ray, Lab Blue, Copalli. In the shower after washing with bronners and PAA cube pre shave. I tend to keep the same razor in rotation until the blade wears out, then switch it up, so this weekend I switched to a New LC. I am really liking this. It is close and comfortable and I can get it done in under two passes. I need to start taking better notes, or else this thing will just be full of “shaves great”. I do have other razors that require a bit more presence, but they all mostly work. I’ll try to catalog them as I go.

Attachments

• IMG_0066.jpeg
    IMG_0066.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Top Bottom