What's new

Sandalwood Comparisons

I've been interested in getting some new sandalwood cologne (or aftershave). I have nearly finished a bottle of D.R. Harris and was interested in trying some others, but I didn't want to get into the super expensive realm. So as I sit here typing I have four different fragrances on the backs of my hands and my upper arms: the aforementioned D.R. Harris, Taylor of Old Bond Street, Trumpers and Stirling.

My wife, to whom I generally defer in matters of scent, has picked out the Taylor as her favorite among the four. My ranking would be as follows:
1. Trumpers
2. Stirling
3. D.R. Harris
4. TOBS

I find that the Harris is a bit overpowering, the TOBS a bit too sweet, and the Stirling a bit too synthetic/chemical smelling. That said, I am terrible at describing scents. I'll start wearing them and see which one turns out to be my favorite in use, and whether my wife changes her mind.

the DRH sandalwood is probably the 'most linear' (straight) of your four.
you might try just using less product, or diluting slightly with a few drops of water.
if you want to explore, Truefitt&Hill, Floris, AOS, Creed, many others do sandalwoods.
And, congrats on involving your wife!!!

dr harris sandalwood morris forndran thiers issard la legende june 28 2017.jpg

I prefer the Art of Shaving sandalwood scent. To me, it is much more deeper and complex than the TOBS version. If not, AOS, i would go Geo F Trumper.

My favorite used to be Maitre de Parfumer Santal but I've read that the reformulation isn't the same. Hard to find also. Another favorite of mine was Floris Santal which is very affordable. Trumper is very long lasting on me. and would get my vote of your 4 choices.

I have tried Proraso Sandalwood preshave, and a soap sample, and I did enjoy it. Also, had a tub of TOBS which was nice. Scents are different between those two and I might have a slight inclination towards Proraso as I recall frequently opening to smell the scent of the PreShave. I may someday pick up a bottle of Proraso aftershave balm (right now I am using Prorase Blue balm which is one of the best balms I have ever used). Other than that, the only other Sandalwood I have tried was Viking aftershqve balm which was very nice.

Truefitt and Hill Sandalwood Cologne is very similar to TOBS. T&F is my daily Cologne when wearing sandalwood.

I have all the others you mention But T&F tops them for me.

If your wife likes TOBS she will also like T&H I would think. However fragrances are very personal.

Top Bottom