What's new

Weirdest scent?

If I tell anyone what weird smelling soaps I have I won't be able to get rid of them. Ok here is one. I have a soap called Eclipse it is discontinued so it is now unobtainium. It smells to me like an ashtray. I haven't even used it.

Wow, this is like a throwback to childhood. I don't know if it is as much a right of passage as it was for me and the other young lads in my town. However, I do recall that the other boys I was friends with growing up all had the same enjoyment of seriously grossing out the others with . . . . well . . . . anything really, but really gross smells seemed to be part of that.

"Dude, smell this . . . It's disgusting."
---sniff---
"Ohhhh yuck, what the heck is that, you almost made me puke . . . let me smell it again."

I doubt modern tar "scent" is anything other than a chemical.
just curious, are you from the Nordics or do they sell tar shower gel elsewhere too :)
Yeah as I think about it I haven't seen anything that's tar "scented" per se, so that would be unlike my experiences so far. It usually has actual pine tar included in the ingredients.

I'm in the US.

Last edited:
Yeah as I think about it I haven't seen anything that's tar "scented" per se, so that would be unlike my experiences so far. It usually has actual pine tar included in the ingredients.

I'm in the US.
hmm, you are right, the one I found online indeed has pine tar in it.

Derby Lemon shaving cream smells just like Lysol to me. I hate to waste anything but it went into the bin after one whiff.

I

Island

The gift soap from timeless is strong, unpleasant, and dirt colored. I couldn't use it. (But I love timeless razors)

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Weird means different things to different people. To me it will be taken as "Why on earth would you wear that?!" Aramis...yikes.

I forget who makes it but there's a shaving soap that smells like gasoline and its marketed as such. Almost bought it as a prank for a car enthusiast friend
👆Chiseled Face Midnight Stag. Notes are gas, oil, leather, and smoke.

B&M Promises smells very strongly of rubber, like the tires on a new bicycle. It’s supposed to remind you of a snowmobile, but I’ve never ridden one…

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I’d say Southern Witchcrafts Valley of Ashes, too much tar and diesel for me

I don’t get any unpleasant tar smells from this one. It is definitely a Smokey, earthy type of scent though. I will use it for my next shave and reevaluate. Despite amazing performance, SW scents don’t quite get there for me. They approach excellence, but seem to fall just shy of being really good. Lather performance is tops though.

👆Chiseled Face Midnight Stag. Notes are gas, oil, leather, and smoke.

This one was a huge disappointment for me. Got the leather and smoke. Not so much on the petroleum products. Got a bunch of scent notes reminiscent of spilled liquor too. A bit of cheap “call girl” in there as well. It is aimed at its intended profile but never quite gets there. The whole thing smells fake and forced. And it was my first foray into their Silk base, which was a big let down. It was a step backwards in performance from their older base.

What's the strangest scent you've ever used on any shaving product — soaps, creams, aftershave, whatever it may be?

I don't necessarily mean unpleasant, just unusual, however you'd interpret that?
Clubman Pinaud Special Reserve, I really have no idea how people can love this aftershave because it smells so bad.

Summer Break Soaps did a couple limited runs of a set called Remote Learning, it’s a Doritos-scented soap and Mountain Dew-scented splash. I don’t know how but people bought it out.

Chatillon Lux used to do some one-offs that they called the side project series, there were a couple weird ones in there. This was the writeup for 3sheets which still sticks in my mind (nope, never tried it)
1701545727607.png

😳

Laboratorios Del Pueblo Florida Water Cologne

reminds me of that Christmas ribbon candy we used to get 50+ years ago. My wife is meh about it but I dig it immensely. She likes my Whiskey Woods much better. Use it every so often. Cheap too, $1.49 at my local dollar bodega. Fades right away, which I like. I need to pick up some more. Great summertime AS too as it goes along with the Captain's tropical scents in rotation.

Summer Break Soaps did a couple limited runs of a set called Remote Learning, it’s a Doritos-scented soap and Mountain Dew-scented splash. I don’t know how but people bought it out.

Chatillon Lux used to do some one-offs that they called the side project series, there were a couple weird ones in there. This was the writeup for 3sheets which still sticks in my mind (nope, never tried it)
View attachment 1757743
😳
Mountain Dew scented splash doesn't sound that bad. I'd be all over it if it smelled like the greenish-blue Mountain Dew they sell at Taco Bell. 👍

Top Bottom