What's new

Scent Too Strong?

Cella Green splash: I think the scent is generic and inoffensive. But this morning at breakfast my wife described it as "anti-attractive." I said I'd wash my face after breakfast, but she asked me to do it immediately. Enough said.
Remember that line next time she asks you how somthing looks or smells on her. Then tell her you can't stand that sight/scent of her and she should leave the room immediately.

See how well that goes over when the shoe is on the other foot.

Remember that line next time she asks you how somthing looks or smells on her. Then tell her you can't stand that sight/scent of her and she should leave the room immediately.

Maybe instead of taking the chance of never having intimacy again or she leaves you and takes everything you own ask her what scents she likes and see if those scents are available in the products you seek.

I have two samples of Martin De Cadre waiting to play with, their Fougere and Rose. They are expensive but I expect to get at least 10 shaves from a sample instead of the normal 5 from others brands since this is such a dense soap.

If you only get 10, you are overloading. I had some MdC samples and they lasted a LONG time.

My current rotation is heavy on MdC Rose and Thayers Rose. Enjoy them together!

Whoa! She just told me what she thought. BTW, she doesn't use scents, and her nose is sensitive to them.

Whoa! She just told me what she thought. BTW, she doesn't use scents, and her nose is sensitive to them.
Got it. My point was, she was rude and insensitive in her approach and how would she feel if that was said to her.

If she truely is that senstive to scent, go unscented soap and AS to avoid any problems.

If you only get 10, you are overloading. I had some MdC samples and they lasted a LONG time.

My current rotation is heavy on MdC Rose and Thayers Rose. Enjoy them together!

I haven’t tried it yet, but my guess is you are correct and I could get more than 10. That number I mentioned came direct from Maggards comment in the sample description from their website for MdC. For all other soap samples they claim approximately 5. From what I have read about MdC it can get well over 2x more shaves/vol. That said, I suspect exceeding 10 from a “sample” of this hard soap might be potentially tricky since I would not be loading a brush from wide surface f a jar but trying to press the hard soap into a very thin layer in my bowl. For other samples, like say TOB‘s which is soft, it is easier to be efficient loading a brush with a small blob. Anyway, I will know over the coming months when I get to, and finish, those samples.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
It's a tragedy not being able to enjoy all the great scents out there due to sensitive skin or hyperosmia. I wouldn't be able to cope with just unscented soap day after day, year after year.
Some shavers are really into scents and buy multiple pucks from the same maker to have many scents. I've had a few scents I really enjoyed, one that nearly made me sick and most that I didn't care about one way or the other. I mostly use unscented soap - not because I'm sensitive, just because I'm not a gambler and I don't want another soap that is fragrance offensive. I use cologne for my scent fix.

Some shavers are really into scents and buy multiple pucks from the same maker to have many scents.… I mostly use unscented soap - not because I'm sensitive, just because I'm not a gambler and I don't want another soap that is fragrance offensive.

Buying multiple pucks is gamble. If it is bad, then you just need to get rid or stop using it. If it is just okay, one tends to keep but use sparingly to get their moneys worth. The trick for me, as I have mentioned earlier in this thread, is to buy samples of soap they think they will like. Personally, I buy one or two samples from a soap maker I think I will like. If I like the soap quality itself I may go back and buy more to experiment/experience different scents.

In the two years of wet shaving I have purchased only about 3-4 full size soaps, all are gone except my tub of Cella Red which is now 1 1/2 yrs old. When I came upon Maggards and Stirling I realized they have samples of lots of stuff so I stopped gambling. So I have been picked up several after shaves, EDT’s, and over two dozen soap samples over time, and tried about 2/3 of the soaps. It makes shaving fun and minimizes the gamble. Still have 2 samples each of Nobel Otter and MdC to try. Yesterday I cracked open my new sample of Ariana and Evans, Vanille de Tabac. What a treat, both lather and scent. But, I would not recommend this scent to those sensitive to scents since after the witch hazel, then balm, I could still smell it on me for a few hours - which for me is a good thing. Right now I getting ready to go out for hike in the nearby forest and will spray on my sample of Eucris EDT from Geo Trumper. This EDT is the James Bond scent - he used it in Diamond Are Forever (the book, not the film). A proper manly scent.

So samples are my way to lessen the gamble. Also, what I learned is that the soaps from a maker are generally similar in performance but the scents can be different in strength. For example. TOB Sandlewood is very nice scent (I had a tub) with okay strength. Their OUD is wonderful but very light scent, while their Lime Zest has a very potent scent.

Last edited:
My favorite unscented is Noble Otter Bare.

My wife is also bothered by most scented products. She can tolerate TOBS sandlewood soap and cream and Arko shave sticks.

Top Bottom