What's new

Scent Too Strong?

As a relatively new DE shaver I have been seeking good shaving soaps and creams. It turns out my wife and adult daughter are very, very sensitive to the scents of what I am using. I like Proroso White and even that seems too strong for them. I am looking for suggestions regarding soaps or creams that are on the low end of the scent scale.

One thing I have done is washed my face afterwards with a water and coconut oil. Pretty good lubrication and moisturizer and hopefully reduces the scent a bit. Any suggestions?

Here is a list of unscented shave soaps offered from Maggards. I suggest you review the list, find a few that you think you might like, then see if they are available as samples to try. i have over 20 shave soap/cream samples from Maggards as I continue my search for my preferred soaps and scents. Sample containers generally get about 5 or so shaves

Unscented shave soaps (of course some will still have a mild scent)

Samples

Last edited:
My wife likes the scent of Arko Sensitive cream. It's a very light lavender scent.

For unscented soap I like Hendrix and Classics' unscented, but most makers will have an unscented option.

Here is a list of unscented shave soaps offered from Maggards. I suggest you review the list, find a few that you think you might like, then see if they are available as samples to try. i have over 20 shave soap/cream samples from Maggards as I continue my search for my preferred soaps and scents. Sample containers generally get about 5 or so shaves

Unscented shave soaps (of course some will still have a mild scent)

Samples
Your reply is much appreciated.

Look toward unscented soaps like @Albert V mentioned and also citrus scents. Citrus scents don't linger for long yet provide more than unscented soaps during the shave. MdC Agrumes is a personal favorite that is very mild.

Got an email notice from Maggards and they are having a 32 hour sale, ending tonight Mar 5. 10% of with code 10MAR. They have these sales every few months and that is when I tend to stock up. So it is good to get on their mailing list as they rarely advertise a sale on the website You need $59 for free shipping.

As for the comment on citrus scents, I concur. And let me make a recommendation. I have Stirling Unscented Aftershave Balm in Glacial, which is their method version. No scent. If yoo do not like menthol they have a regular unscented balm. I also have their Lemon menthol aftershave Balm, and their Lemon menthol Witch Hazel. Their lemon scent is pure lemon, not a sugary sweet version, more like a fresh cut lemon. The scent is mild, pleasant and only lasts a short while. Stirling balms and witch hazel are only about $10, making them a relative bargain. Maggards carries their line, but does not carry their soap samples. Stirling offers 1 ounce soap samples (and EDT, and Whitch Hazel samples) on their website. Their soap samples are good for roughly 12 shaves. I have purchased about a dozen different soap samples from them. My favorites are their sheep/mutton tallow, especially Varen - which is scented

Also, another post shave recommendation is Thayers Witch Hazel, available in many supermarkets for about $10. Their scents are light, pleasant, and do not linger. I love their rose scent. (i am a non-alcoholic toners and balm guy, as opposed to a alum block and alcohol aftershave guy).

Lastly, if you do pick up stuff from maggards it might be fun to pick up a few scented samples for yourself to hide away and use when the family is gone - just for fun!!! The most manly and polarizing scent is Chiseled Face Mightnight Stag. I have a sample. Almost guaranteed to offend woman. It smells like you just put in a new transmission in your truck and then cleaned your rifles while smoking a cigarette. Read the reviews just for fun. The scent is strangely addictive. Scent notes: Russian Leather, Motor Oil, Hoppes #9, Birch Tar, Oakmoss, Gasoline, Smoke, Cedar, Cade, Bergamot, Vanilla

At the other end of the spectrum, Maggards own London Barbershop soap is just wonderful I have their sample and their witch hazel toner. The scent is marvelous and you feel like a proper dandy, in a good way. Their toner strong and lingers which I like. London Barbershop is their best selling soap and toner.

Last edited:
Citrus scents don't linger for long yet provide more than unscented soaps during the shave. MdC Agrumes is a personal favorite that is very mild.

I have two samples of Martin De Cadre waiting to play with, their Fougere and Rose. They are expensive but I expect to get at least 10 shaves from a sample instead of the normal 5 from others brands since this is such a dense soap.

Got an email notice from Maggards and they are having a 32 hour sale, ending tonight Mar 5. 10% of with code 10MAR. They have these sales every few months and that is when I tend to stock up. So it is good to get on their mailing list as they rarely advertise a sale on the website You need $59 for free shipping.

As for the comment on citrus scents, I concur. And let me make a recommendation. I have Stirling Unscented Aftershave Balm in Glacial, which is their method version. No scent. If yoo do not like menthol they have a regular unscented balm. I also have their Lemon menthol aftershave Balm, and their Lemon menthol Witch Hazel. Their lemon scent is pure lemon, not a sugary sweet version, more like a fresh cut lemon. The scent is mild, pleasant and only lasts a short while. Stirling balms and witch hazel are only about $10, making them a relative bargain. Maggards carries their line, but does not carry their soap samples. Stirling offers 1 ounce soap samples (and EDT, and Whitch Hazel samples) on their website. Their soap samples are good for roughly 12 shaves. I have purchased about a dozen different soap samples from them. My favorites are their sheep/mutton tallow, especially Varen - which is scented

Also, another post shave recommendation is Thayers Witch Hazel, available in many supermarkets for about $10. Their scents are light, pleasant, and do not linger. I love their rose scent. (i am a non-alcoholic toners and balm guy, as opposed to a alum block and alcohol aftershave guy).

Lastly, if you do pick up stuff from maggards it might be fun to pick up a few scented samples for yourself to hide away and use when the family is gone - just for fun!!! The most manly and polarizing scent is Chiseled Face Mightnight Stag. I have a sample. Almost guaranteed to offend woman. It smells like you just put in a new transmission in your truck and then cleaned your rifles while smoking a cigarette. Read the reviews just for fun. The scent is strangely addictive. Scent notes: Russian Leather, Motor Oil, Hoppes #9, Birch Tar, Oakmoss, Gasoline, Smoke, Cedar, Cade, Bergamot, Vanilla

At the other end of the spectrum, Maggards own London Barbershop soap is just wonderful I have their sample and their witch hazel toner. The scent is marvelous and you feel like a proper dandy, in a good way. Their toner strong and lingers which I like. London Barbershop is their best selling soap and toner.
Wow! This is a great reply, full of information. Very much appreciated.

Hugh, in South Dakota

If you rinse properly after the shave, there should be no lingering scent on YOU. There will be some in the air, from the lathering and shave time it takes, but that should be contained to the shaving area/bathroom.

Are you saying they are senstive to the soap scent on you, after you are done shaving?

Either way, Unscented soaps are your best option. There are plenty of them out there. You can't go wrong with MdC. KMF (Kiss My Face) is a cream option, they have a fragranced free version.

I now wash my face and neck with coconut and water after a shave. The coconut oil leaves my skin moistened and smooth. Thanks for the information.

If you rinse properly after the shave, there should be no lingering scent on YOU. There will be some in the air, from the lathering and shave time it takes, but that should be contained to the shaving area/bathroom.

I don't think I'd quite agree with this. I can smell most of my soaps on my skin after I've left the bathroom. Some are definitely stronger than others, such as A&E, stronger SV soaps like Desert Vetiver, and Los Jabones de Joserra. I definitely can detect most of them.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
My problem is my own skin... not scents my wife enjoys... Unfortunately, I bought 8 or so lightly scented soaps a couple years ago when I was first starting out.. My wife loved each and everyone of them... but it turns out, my face can't tolerate the ingredients used to add fragrance to soaps.... All my soaps now are unscented, with two exceptions, and my face thanks me...

Amazon has Canada Shaving Soap (though their labeling is off at the moment) for $32 and change. I'm almost through my first tub after nearly 2 years of using it for 80% or more of my shaves... It's wonderful... and Mike's Unscented is an amazing soap if you head in the unscented direction.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
MdC Nature is unscented and wonderful, but the shipping just went a little crazy pushing the price waaaaaaaay up.

Canada Shaving Soap is as close to MdC as you will find and I just ordered another tub yesterday on Amazon for about $32. Very good longevity, not MdC good but for the price it's still very good longevity and very nice soap. It's a small, family run start-up with a simple ingredient list. Highly recommended.

MdC Nature is unscented and wonderful, but the shipping just went a little crazy pushing the price waaaaaaaay up.

I picked up two different samples from Maggards. But, if I decide I want a tub, then…

RazorEmporium sells 200g tubs for only $55, and 10% on first order, and free shipping with $70 order

TherRazorCompany sells their smaller 50g tubs for $35 and has free shipping on $35 orders

If you rinse properly after the shave, there should be no lingering scent on YOU.
Like Wgg2017 above, I do not completely agree. Unlike Hugh, I have been on a quest for a potent, lingering, pleasantly scented soap to enhance my shave experience. Many scents will be weak, and not linger or wash away, but some stay. When I shave with potent scents I enjoy, I follow up with unscented (or slightly scented) witch hazel tonics and balms to preserve the scent-sation. So I can be sitting around watching television two hours later and still enjoy that nice scent. Southern Witchcraft’s, Autumn Ash lingers (not the three other SW scents I tried), and Ariana and Evans Peach and Cognac soaps have a wonderful lingering scent That is just heaven to me.

In summary, “if depends”. Some soaps have scents that linger, and some do not. I am not just going for a clean shave. I have now found my ideal razor (Rockwell 6S and blades). Now I am embracing the full experience, trying soaps that make luxurious lather and heavenly (sometimes decadent scents). My short list of soap brands include Chiseled Face (manly scents) and Ariana and Evans. I was never this way before getting into wet shaving, now it is manly ritual.

Like Wgg2017 above, I do not completely agree. Unlike Hugh, I have been on a quest for a potent, lingering, pleasantly scented soap to enhance my shave experience. Many scents will be weak, and not linger or wash away, but some stay. When I shave with potent scents I enjoy, I follow up with unscented (or slightly scented) witch hazel tonics and balms to preserve the scent-sation. So I can be sitting around watching television two hours later and still enjoy that nice scent. Southern Witchcraft’s, Autumn Ash lingers (not the three other SW scents I tried), and Ariana and Evans Peach and Cognac soaps have a wonderful lingering scent That is just heaven to me.

In summary, “if depends”. Some soaps have scents that linger, and some do not. I am not just going for a clean shave. I have now found my ideal razor (Rockwell 6S and blades). Now I am embracing the full experience, trying soaps that make luxurious lather and heavenly (sometimes decadent scents). My short list of soap brands include Chiseled Face (manly scents) and Ariana and Evans. I was never this way before getting into wet shaving, now it is manly ritual.
Maybe it's just me then. I don't use any "artisan" soaps, so they are not heavily scented. Even Tabac and MWF, seem to not linger on my skin. I know PH levels play into scent with colognes, so maybe they affect soap scent too. Haslinger was my go to for years and I enjoyed the light scent level. Many soaps are overpowering to my nose, not offensive, but too strong or confusing/conflicting scented.

I finish with a warm splan, cold splash and then in the winter a RR AS wax, so that masks a bit of it too.

If I splash on anything Patchouli, my wife kicks me out of the room though.

Cella Green splash: I think the scent is generic and inoffensive. But this morning at breakfast my wife described it as "anti-attractive." I said I'd wash my face after breakfast, but she asked me to do it immediately. Enough said.

Cella Green splash: I think the scent is generic and inoffensive. But this morning at breakfast my wife described it as "anti-attractive." I said I'd wash my face after breakfast, but she asked me to do it immediately. Enough said.
I tried it again this morning, but this time I slapped it onto my soaking wet face, let it sit for a minute or so, and rinsed my face again. No complaint, even after I asked about it, and it still feels nice on my skin. Not the ideal solution (no pun intended) but it works.

Top Bottom