What's new

Weirdest scent?

What's the strangest scent you've ever used on any shaving product — soaps, creams, aftershave, whatever it may be?

I don't necessarily mean unpleasant, just unusual, however you'd interpret that?

Arko is like Ivory Soap on steroids, can’t get enough of it.

Another of my favorites, Clubman Special Reserve, it smells like a sandalwood tree was drinking a whisky while smoking a joint. Cheap bourbon and that old school weed. Not that stuff the kids smoke now that smells like burnt dog crap covered with damp butt crack hair.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum, which smells like an office Christmas party punch Bowl to me.

I use Lilac Vegetal which to me smells earthy, like loam and vegetation, but which some unfortunates state reminds them of the smell of cat urine.
I also use Arko, which smells clean and slightly citrusy, and which others say smells of urinal deodorant.
I think I'm starting to see a pattern here.

Tabac. Granny’s boudoir. Some like it, many don’t. Phenomenal soap.

I Coloniali Mango oil soap. Funky, but I grew to like it. Great soap.

Arko. Chemically fake lemon bathroom cleaner, aka the urinal puck. It’s bad. Some don’t think so. Meh soap to me.

Sterling’s early iterations had some. There were a couple early samples I simply threw away when I smelled them. They’re all very strongly scented for me and any full puck buy of mine will be unscented in the future. It’s good soap, especially at the price point.

Last edited:
Cyril Salter's French Vetiver. Smells like a swamp fire.
Me too.

Proraso Sandalwood is up there as well. Terrible terrible and way too strong and synthetic smelling. Our son recently gave it a try and he hates it too. I could smell it in the bathroom 3-4 days later.

See below from a 2012 post I/we made. I searched it up as I knew I had commented on it before and saw we made back to back posts on the same topic.

10 years later, still hate them.

Cyril Salter Vetiver..........YIKES :eek:

it smells like my dogs breath after she throws up.

Last edited:

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Noble Otter Batter’s Up soap smells whack. I’ve used it once, brush stank for a week +. Might try it again when Mrs. Raven is away, she noticed something off right away. I keep smelling it occasionally, strange..

Well, Razorock has a soap line called Saturnia that is supposed to remind you of a Roman hot spring. The problem is, Roman hot springs were built in volcanic areas and there is a distinct note of sulfur mixed in with the nicer stuff. I got the soap on sale and use it occasionally for night shaving. It's relaxing and you can just shower after shaving.

Swiss Pitralon aftershave has an unusual scent. It has been described as eating apples and pears in a very clean Swiss hospital. It fades away fairly quickly.

tar scented products are a thing here in the nordics. beats me why, but they persist so there must be a market for it.
I asked my teammate in the locker room about it, he said: "my wife does not allow me to use it at home, so I use it here". says it all :)

I do like tar-based products. I think I read somewhere that tar has antiseptic properties related to why people use(d) carbolic soap for its antiseptic properties. I'm not sure how true it is but I'm willing to go along with it because the smell reminds me of campfires and creosote-infused wood on old bridges and so forth. I generally stick to unscented products but it's one of the things I get from time to time in bath soap and the like.

I haven't tried that but I can imagine it. I do like vetiver, and one time got a product that supposedly only had vetiver essential oil as a fragrance, but it smelled like vetiver crossed with cigarette smoke.

I do like tar-based products. I think I read somewhere that tar has antiseptic properties related to why people use(d) carbolic soap for its antiseptic properties. I'm not sure how true it is but I'm willing to go along with it because the smell reminds me of campfires and creosote-infused wood on old bridges and so forth. I generally stick to unscented products but it's one of the things I get from time to time in bath soap and the like.
I doubt modern tar "scent" is anything other than a chemical.
just curious, are you from the Nordics or do they sell tar shower gel elsewhere too :)

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I haven't tried that but I can imagine it. I do like vetiver, and one time got a product that supposedly only had vetiver essential oil as a fragrance, but it smelled like vetiver crossed with cigarette smoke.
As @AimlessWanderer said, "OK, that is NOT subtle!!! Composting vegetation, and ammonia, and tyre fire."

What's not to love about that? :001_wub:

Top Bottom