What's new

We covered the overrated shaving stuff. How about the underrated??

Agreed on Acqua Velva--it is a standby. Speaking of menthols: Canadian Booster Polar Ice does the trick for me when the razor burns a bit.

I always think the tin of Pre de Provence is a really good deal. Lot of soap for the price and the tin has a screw top which makes it a reasonable option for travel. Good value for someone that wants to try French soaps.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Is Aqua Velva really under rated? I thought it was pretty popular. It's inexpensive, but I don't feel that it is under rated.

I'd vote for RazoRock products. Not as much hype or love here as for Arko sticks, but I think that's only due to the fact that not enough here have tried them. Along with the Arko stick, easily the best current valued products in wetshaving.

Also thought Tom's of Maine mint (been discontinued) was uber-underrated. Of any cream, at any price, I'd choose Tom's Mint above ALL others. It was that good. Keep your 3T's-I'll take Tom's.

Beerman

Afta AS (original and fresh). They were the first AS I ever used (late 1980s), and they hold a special place for me.

Another vote for pre de provence.Provence sante is also a fantastic soap at a great price. Cella certainly isn't underrated, but it's still a great price point.

Alright then, I'll play.

Multi-bladed cartridge razors. Sure, most of the replacement cartridges cost way too much, and I prefer classic single blade razors. If you can't get a good shave with a Pro-Glide, Mach 3, or Hydro, though, you probably just need to adjust your technique.

Would you distinguish between underrated and divisive? There are certain products and methods which are attacked and defended around here with almost equal energy. It doesn't mean nobody appreciates them, it's just that the opposition really hates them (or claims to).

Agree with the carts. I DE shave, but I will never bad-mouth cartridges. I will use them in a pinch (if I'm pressed for time) and always get great results! :001_smile

Thayer's Witch Hazels. Stuck between those who don't want to spend more than $1 for WH and those who use various AS, sometimes Thayer's doesn't get enough credit.

Giving the lather time to sit before you start. I keep reading about these complex pre-shave routines, but a simple wash with soap and water followed by lathering up and letting the lather sit for two minutes works as well as any complex prep I've tried.

The DFS. I wonder how much blood and razor burn can be laid at the feet of the fascination with the Ultimate BBS shave?

Talc.

Dorco ST-301 blades. They get a lot of flak, but they aren't as horrible as some of the reviews suggest.

Burt's Bees Bay Rum Shaving Soap. Abysmal shaving soap, but one of the best shower soaps out there.

giving the lather time to sit before you start. I keep reading about these complex pre-shave routines, but a simple wash with soap and water followed by lathering up and letting the lather sit for two minutes works as well as any complex prep i've tried.
+1

I don't think it gets talked about enough. Its such a simple, no-brainer technique ... but why did it take me almost 3 years to make it a regular part of my routine? We should be cluing in the newbies from day 1 on this easy way to super-charge their shave.

Last edited:
Shave Secret shaving oil. Works surprisingly well. And +1 to Afta aftershave balms.
Also regular VDH soaps(haven't tried the luxury yet). Good lather good price.

I really like everything I have, I have never purchased any one cream or soap that is 20 dollars.

I really like tobs rose 14 bucks , acca kappa cream 20 bucks, Loccitane soap 10 bucks, Palmolime shave stick 4 bucks, La Toja Shave stick 8 bucks, la toja shave cream 13 bucks, Proraso 10 bucks, and so on.

I dont think you need to purchase 35 dollar soaps to get awesome performance,
you need to enjoy what you have..

Products I do not like are Erasmic shave stick because it does create a lather but dies withing a few seconds.

I think the most over rated product is Arko shave stick. that stuff lathers like a champ but its smells very poorly and it really dries out your skin. it feels like you washed dishes with some strong soap or degreaser. I would rather spring a few more bucks and get something nice.

With no doubt in my mind, the most underrated, maligned, misperceived product is canned shaving cream. I can't speak for all of it, obviously, but I can speak for Gillette Series canned shaving gel.

A few months back, I thought I'd try it for a few days on a lark. I bent over that first day, looked that can right in the eye, and said, "Are you shaving cream or goo?"

After a perfectly fine shave, I remembered why I never used aftershave before DE shaving: I didn't feel like I needed it. Certainly didn't dry out my face as much as the soaps and creams I use.

I was so impressed that I used the canned stuff for two weeks. It wasn't perfect; it did dry out a bit towards the end of the shave. I started adding a little water to the lather after I got it on my face and this turned the lather into perfectly decent stuff.

There are plenty of good subjective reasons to prefer soaps and creams to canned cream. If you can't get good results with it, maybe it's your technique. ;-) But it certainly doesn't deserve the pejorative term "goo."

Steve

Top Bottom