What's new

We covered the overrated shaving stuff. How about the underrated??

Alright then, I'll play.

Multi-bladed cartridge razors. Sure, most of the replacement cartridges cost way too much, and I prefer classic single blade razors. If you can't get a good shave with a Pro-Glide, Mach 3, or Hydro, though, you probably just need to adjust your technique.

Would you distinguish between underrated and divisive? There are certain products and methods which are attacked and defended around here with almost equal energy. It doesn't mean nobody appreciates them, it's just that the opposition really hates them (or claims to).

GEM OCMM- An easy, close shave in only two passes. What's not to like?
Palmolive stick- One of the finest soaps I use, and cheap as chips.
Aqua Velva- No need to spend more than $5 on an AS that works brilliantly
Bigelow ASBs- If you can get one of the Green/Black/Red/Whatevercoloroftherainbow ones, get 'em before they're gone

VDH soaps. Either the Standard or Luxury lines. Good soap for the money.

VDH standard Boar Brush. Sure, it may not win any beauty contests but I have used one for over 10 years and it does the job.

Wilkinson Sword blades. Inexpensive and readily available at your local WalMart. Maybe not the greatest or the sharpest or the one with the most exotic name, Heck, they probably aren't even given a final hone on the thigh of a Thai virgin, but I have never gotten a bad shave with one.

Schick Injectors. I learned to shave with one and you know what? They are great razors. I should have never switched to cartridges. Of course, the scarcity of injector blades had a hand in my decision...

Synthetics brushes, especially Omega. You can get one of Omega synthetic brushes between $25 to $40. It lathers great with ease. Don't have to worry about shedding, funky smell, and soaking. It works straight of the box and absolutely no breaking in period or maintenance. It dries with a flick of the wrest. Because it's synthetic, it'll last a very long time. Unless it gets too close to a hair dryer or something.

Shark razors and Tabac.

I know Tabac gets a lot of love on this forum, but it is not undeserved. Tabac was the first soap I bought, and I could get a great lather from it instantly. Every other soap or cream I used, at first, required some practice to get a good lather.

Arco shaving sticks - Provide an explosion of uniquely-scented lather

Aqua Velva - Inexpensive, provides enough "burn," and smells good

SE and Injector-type Razors - Not expensive and they shave great

Reconditioned Used Shaving Brushes - Fun to rebuild, not real expensive, work great and give you a feeling of accomplishment when they are completed.

Enjoy your shaves and Happy Mother's Day to your Moms, Wives and Girlfriends. :thumbup:

Don

+1 to Aqua Velva (Blue and Musk) and Arko

Nivea Sensitive AS Balm
Nivea Q10 Revitalizing moisturizer

Erasmic glycerine soap in a bowl - overshadowed by the tallow stick and cream, but an excellent product.

modern Old Spice classic, cold water, alum, another vote for Schick injectors, Bic single blade disposables, Williams (this is typed in disappearing ink), boar brushes, Frank Shaving badger brushes, Paul Mitchell The Conditioner (the one product I take traveling-great for hair, skin conditioning, shaving, AS balm, sunburn....),Erasmic cream

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Omega

While I like Arko, it is certainly NOT under rated. In fact it gets a lot of love around here. Omega shave cream has been a much better performer for me than its close cousin Proraso and it almost never gets any recognition.

Last edited:
Top Bottom