What's new

Walking Golfers

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Any walking golfers here?

The past couple of years have seen me take the links exclusively on foot. My rounds are more enjoyable. The pace is faster, but the play is perceived as more leisurely and more enjoyable. The course perspective is much different as well. My wife has gotten into walking as well.

Carrying less stuff has also coincided with this change for me. Experimented with a Ping Moon bag for a bit. I picked up a Jones Carry bag late last year and really enjoy it. The pockets are on the top and bottom of the bag, just perfect for walking golfers. Other bags with pockets on the sides push the club weight away from the body and are more bulky, at least that has been my experience.

The number of clubs in the bag has decreased as well. My rounds are very enjoyable with a 3 wood, 5 hybrid, 9 iron, and putter. Shots are more consistent and a wee bit of yardage is the trade off for staying in the fairways. The 3 wood is strictly for the tee box. The 5 is the go to in the fairway, and the 9 iron carries anything inside 120 yards. The 9 also does double duty as the wedge.

I'm enjoying golf more than at any time in prior years. May not be for everyone, but for me, this is a great way to play the game!

Bravo.

I learned to play with a similar set-up ... starting with 5-iron, 7-iron, and putter. I added a 9-iron, and then a 4-wood once I could handle driving and the longer course. (I got a driver and 3-wood later, but the 4-wood was always my go-to.) The smaller bag really helps.

Now, I don't begrudge someone their cart, especially if they need it for mobility reasons, but ... for me, the real joy of golf includes the walk.

I believe that golf has long been described as a peaceful walk periodically interrupted by having to chase a little white ball.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I always walk around the golf course, but then the golfers come and tell me to put out my barbecue and get lost. once they made me take down my tent.

"Grab a brew and play through" usually cheers them up.

I completely went somewhere else with the term 'Walking Golfer's'! I'll turn around now...

View attachment 597083

People always let you play through, don't they?

certainly, walking the course is great!
wonderful to enjoy the natural surroundings and a bit of exercise!
especially when a caddy will schlep the bag!

$walking golf course.jpg

I have been walking and carrying my clubs since I was a little kid. I carry the full 14, and don't mind the extra weight.

I'll generally walk for a twilight deal after work. On the weekend, it's typically a cart because it's more of a social outing and it's usually way too hot to walk.

Walking is nice and I would do it more except that most of the courses in the Houston area will still charge you a cart fee regardless. If I gotta pay the cart fee, I'm riding.

Yes, walking is great.

I'm surrounded by golf courses and some courses around here require a cart, but there are a lot that let you walk so I go there.

Most of the guys around my age want to cart so I have to talk them into an executive course.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I prefer to walk, or pull a cart. But have been places where, especially with a large group of people of varying stamina (note didn't say fat lazy drunken folk), the cart was required. One course this summer in West Virginia was a third mile maybe between holes, including a very steep slope both ways.

Most of us, if not all, don't have a swing that is consistent enough by a wide margin to require 14 clubs. That's just you all getting taken by the golf manufacturers.

Get a Sunday bag, put in a putter, driver, sand wedge and a couple irons and go out at dusk. Golf once was a nice walk, unspoiled by .. carts? Cell phones?

I walk most rounds but use a push cart. My back and shoulder can handle carrying a bag for 18 holes. I find that walking keeps me loose during the round.

I prefer to walk, or pull a cart. But have been places where, especially with a large group of people of varying stamina (note didn't say fat lazy drunken folk), the cart was required. One course this summer in West Virginia was a third mile maybe between holes, including a very steep slope both ways.

Most of us, if not all, don't have a swing that is consistent enough by a wide margin to require 14 clubs. That's just you all getting taken by the golf manufacturers.

Get a Sunday bag, put in a putter, driver, sand wedge and a couple irons and go out at dusk. Golf once was a nice walk, unspoiled by .. carts? Cell phones?

Well stated on all points, especially the 14 clubs. Once I gave up on trying to crush a drive that was uncontrollable, it was enlightening.

BTW, I'm convinced some folks don't understand the 14 club rule. It isn't that you have to carry 14 clubs. :thumbup1:

I will never understand golf club rules in general. Only a small percentage of golfers actually need to adhere to USGA/RCGA/R&A rules for # of clubs, COR, head volume etc, same thing with golf balls. The rules are there for sanctioned tournament play, not the average duffer.

Why don't the manufacturers make more "non-compliant" equipment to make the game better for the average Joe? There would be a lot more happy golfers out there if they could hit 250yd drives and have a 15 handicap instead of mis-hitting drives into the woods and having a 25-30 handicap.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I will never understand golf club rules in general. Only a small percentage of golfers actually need to adhere to USGA/RCGA/R&A rules for # of clubs, COR, head volume etc, same thing with golf balls. The rules are there for sanctioned tournament play, not the average duffer.

Why don't the manufacturers make more "non-compliant" equipment to make the game better for the average Joe? There would be a lot more happy golfers out there if they could hit 250yd drives and have a 15 handicap instead of mis-hitting drives into the woods and having a 25-30 handicap.

If I might take another view? The passion of golf is derived from the fact that there can never be a perfect score, nor a shutout. The manufacturers have been constantly tweeking clubs, balls, beer-carrying golf bags, and etc since the beginning. The result is that there still hasn't been a perfect score. But because of the tech advances fat assed bozos now can drive 230, but still unless they take a lesson and practice are out of bounds. So now the courses are too short, the bozos are still bozos. The average Joe will and should always be a duffer, unless she/or he practices. Otherwise the game turns into another video game .. what challenge is it if Joey Baggadonuts can shot an 18 at Pebble? It's like saying the manufacturers of microphones should turn Kermit into Caruso.

If I might take another view? The passion of golf is derived from the fact that there can never be a perfect score, nor a shutout. The manufacturers have been constantly tweeking clubs, balls, beer-carrying golf bags, and etc since the beginning. The result is that there still hasn't been a perfect score. But because of the tech advances fat assed bozos now can drive 230, but still unless they take a lesson and practice are out of bounds. So now the courses are too short, the bozos are still bozos. The average Joe will and should always be a duffer, unless she/or he practices. Otherwise the game turns into another video game .. what challenge is it if Joey Baggadonuts can shot an 18 at Pebble? It's like saying the manufacturers of microphones should turn Kermit into Caruso.

I agree with your views, to a point. Primarily I'm playing to have fun. The score is just a yardstick to measure progress. I'm not competitive where golf is concerned. I enjoy the walk, the course, and the quiet time.

Unconverntionally, I switched to graphite shafts a few years back. Traded distance for comfort. Gave up on crushing 200+ yard drives. And the latest advances in equipment. I now play from the green tees with a 3 wood, and happily claim a 150 - 170 yard tee shot that stays in the fairway. Doesn't matter with a 3 put anyway. :).

I follow the rules to a point, but fun trumps all else for me, and I'm not interested in competing or tournaments. Hat off to those who are, but I won't be seen there. That really is the wonderful thing about the game of golf; players can make it what ever they want it to be.

Top Bottom