What's new

Walking Golfers

Any walking golfers here?

The past couple of years have seen me take the links exclusively on foot. My rounds are more enjoyable. The pace is faster, but the play is perceived as more leisurely and more enjoyable. The course perspective is much different as well. My wife has gotten into walking as well.

Carrying less stuff has also coincided with this change for me. Experimented with a Ping Moon bag for a bit. I picked up a Jones Carry bag late last year and really enjoy it. The pockets are on the top and bottom of the bag, just perfect for walking golfers. Other bags with pockets on the sides push the club weight away from the body and are more bulky, at least that has been my experience.

The number of clubs in the bag has decreased as well. My rounds are very enjoyable with a 3 wood, 5 hybrid, 9 iron, and putter. Shots are more consistent and a wee bit of yardage is the trade off for staying in the fairways. The 3 wood is strictly for the tee box. The 5 is the go to in the fairway, and the 9 iron carries anything inside 120 yards. The 9 also does double duty as the wedge.

I'm enjoying golf more than at any time in prior years. May not be for everyone, but for me, this is a great way to play the game!

Great post, ctr. I haven't played in quite a while and I was never good, but walking is definitely the way to go.

I always walk. It's part of the experience and I typically play better. There's nothing more peaceful then a walk up the last the fairway at dusk.

My 15 yr old just took a liking to the game and what a great excuse to get out for a quick 9 on a weeknight after dinner.

I always walk. It's part of the experience and I typically play better. There's nothing more peaceful then a walk up the last the fairway at dusk.

My 15 yr old just took a liking to the game and what a great excuse to get out for a quick 9 on a weeknight after dinner.

I absolutely agree. The most beautiful sight is a fairway in the shadows of evening's last light. A peaceful, reflective time to finish up a round.

I love walking while playing golf. I bought a nice push cart at costco and love every minute I'm on the course

I love walking while playing golf. I bought a nice push cart at costco and love every minute I'm on the course

My wife uses a push cart. I'm still carrying my bag and probably will for a good while. Fact is my bag and few clubs probably weight less than most empty carts. But I get why folks like carts. One day I'll probably get one, but not for now.

I believe that golf has long been described as a peaceful walk periodically interrupted by having to chase a little white ball.

I prefer to walk as well, but I use a pull-cart rather than carry. I find that the pace is better too because each person goes there own way and is ready to go instead of playing "serially". Depends on the course, and the weather though. Particularly long courses or ones where the distance to the next tee is big or really stinking hot means a cart.

My previous company had a golf league that played 9 after work. I got a push cart to save money on getting the ride in cart every week. Definitely enjoyed it. Unfortunately, some courses around here are so spread out that walking is a bit much. But I do enjoy it more. And I should probably follow your suit and take some clubs out. I only use a few on the course anyway, so I'm just pushing around dead weight.

I always walk around the golf course, but then the golfers come and tell me to put out my barbecue and get lost. once they made me take down my tent.

My previous company had a golf league that played 9 after work. I got a push cart to save money on getting the ride in cart every week. Definitely enjoyed it. Unfortunately, some courses around here are so spread out that walking is a bit much. But I do enjoy it more. And I should probably follow your suit and take some clubs out. I only use a few on the course anyway, so I'm just pushing around dead weight.

Once upon a time I naively carried the full 14. That was a couple decades ago. I highly recommend trying a round with fewer clubs.

I have always walked when playing golf, especially in the early morning or late afternoon. There is just something about the experience that is really relaxing and always puts me in a good mood.

Although I gave up playing golf a couple of years ago, it was always a walking game for me. Sure, I had played rounds in a cart but if there was a mouthful of water available on the course (cutting the need to carry a large bottle of water) I would rather have clubs on my back (or on a caddy's back) and walk. I found that I learnt more about the course and even though play seemed much more relaxed, it tended to be faster. Don't get me started on the health benefits!

I completely went somewhere else with the term 'Walking Golfer's'! I'll turn around now...

$1434051ef691238c35b9dcc44c96fd8e.jpg

Top Bottom