What's new

Treet carbon steel --- for me, a best blade

OK I'm getting jealous!

I sent my check to Giovanni at Barbieria Italiana for the large sampler pack. Hopefully I'll get my blades next week! :em2300:

he has good service. I used paypal of course, but i had my blades in just a few days.

Gonna try the sputnik next

I didn't think anyone but me would remember Gillette blades in the red package. My old man used them. By the time I started shaving (mid-1950's) the hip dudes were buying the Blue blades.

I didn't think anyone but me would remember Gillette blades in the red package. My old man used them. By the time I started shaving (mid-1950's) the hip dudes were buying the Blue blades.

I used them until they were no longer available.

I ordered the large sample pack too and had been skipping around trying different blades. I originally ordered the sample pack because I wanted to try the Astra Superior Platinum. I posted my review of that elsewhere. It was sharp but not what I was looking for.

This 'Black Beauty' IS what I'm looking for. Thanks Michael for finding it. I've used it in three different razors and it's worked nicely in all three of them. I'm enjoying this blade so much that I can now concentrate on shaving creams and soaps, and how well they smell and all the other shave geek stuff.

Cheers,
Alexis

I just got a 5th good shave from a Treet Blue Special ("Black Beauty"). No rust visible yet, thanks to the 91% rubbing alcohol post-shave rinse. This shave did require a bit more work, but I think I'll see if I can get one more... Probably 4 is a more reasonable number of shaves from that blade for me.

I just got a 5th good shave from a Treet Blue Special ("Black Beauty"). No rust visible yet, thanks to the 91% rubbing alcohol post-shave rinse. This shave did require a bit more work, but I think I'll see if I can get one more... Probably 4 is a more reasonable number of shaves from that blade for me.

Perhaps that's why the Dura Sharp edges are numbered one to four :001_huh:

Haven't tried it yet. I find I like rinsing the razor (in the 91% rubbing alcohol) and then being able to put it in the rack, rather than leaving it immersed in anything. The rinsing/racking also allows me to be using the Treet Blue Special in several different razors, something that would be difficult if I had to keep all the razors immersed.

Michael - have you tried the immersion in water only test yet? Results?

My idea behind suggesting water immersion was that the dissolved oxygen in water would be less than the 20% atmospheric and that the rust occurs at a boundary layer. The boundary layer is where the droplet and metal meet. With the droplet surrounding the metal, the interface disappears.

My idea behind suggesting water immersion was that the dissolved oxygen in water would be less than the 20% atmospheric and that the rust occurs at a boundary layer. The boundary layer is where the droplet and metal meet. With the droplet surrounding the metal, the interface disappears.

Interesting. Does this hold true over the long term (I'm talking weeks/months)? Also, if the water isn't pure (chemicals, salts, etc.) do you risk mild decomposition from other factors in the short or long term?

Interesting. Does this hold true over the long term (I'm talking weeks/months)? Also, if the water isn't pure (chemicals, salts, etc.) do you risk mild decomposition from other factors in the short or long term?

I'm guessing based on some previous experiences. Chemicals and salts, short term shouldn't be a worry. Long term, it would shart to depend on what chemicals and salts. Also depends on the metals. Reactions also depend on temperature. For every 10 degrees Celsius rise above 25, the speed of the reaction is doubled. Stainless, immersed in buffered saline (human body) normally will not rust. If you reduce the oxygen in the saline, it will rust.

Tryphon Enterprise, the only retailer I know who carries these blades, does not make ordering easy.

Following is the procedure: VISA & MC: "email us with your order and we will send you the shipping cost. After you receive the shipping cost amount, FAX the credit card number, your full name and address, a list of the items you intend to purchase and the total order value to us at : 561 7924245. Include date and signature authorizing the credit card transaction. Your data will be put on file for follow-on orders.
We welcome payment by PayPal cash or quasi-cash (must be backed by a checking account, not by a credit card) using our PayPal I.D. ([email protected]) or by personal check or Money Order sent to:...."

I emailed them twice with no response. I'll stick to Feathers.

Tryphon Enterprise, the only retailer I know who carries these blades, does not make ordering easy.
<snip>
Try email to [email protected]. The other one seems to have delivery problems more often than not. And he hasn't changed all the email references in all his web pages yet.
The ordering scheme is not nearly so difficult as it seems. You don't really have to FAX him, you can print out the invoice and mail it to him with your check or credit card number and signature. Or scan it back in and email it as a PDF file. Whatever. Once he has your signature on file with your CC number future orders can be all email.
I really like Feathers too. But they only give me two good shaves. The Black Beauties give me two good shaves, and are smoother than Feathers. And cost 11 cents each instead of 25. I'll exchange a few emails for that deal.

Following is the procedure: VISA & MC: "email us with your order and we will send you the shipping cost. After you receive the shipping cost amount, FAX the credit card number, your full name and address, a list of the items you intend to purchase and the total order value to us at : 561 7924245. Include date and signature authorizing the credit card transaction. Your data will be put on file for follow-on orders.
We welcome payment by PayPal cash or quasi-cash (must be backed by a checking account, not by a credit card) using our PayPal I.D. ([email protected]) or by personal check or Money Order sent to:...."

I guess it would be a pain if you aren't verified with paypal. I am, so it was a snap - I emailed him that I wanted a sampler, he told me the price with shipping, I sent the paypal and had the blades by the end of the week. I don't like paypal myself but for little things like razor blades I have no problem with them. I'm really enjoying the sampler - it really opened up the blade universe for me - I had no idea all those things existed.

In my mind, the quality and range of the products make the effort worthwhile---and, as pointed out, you can easily just use email and paypal. (Actually, I did fax him---I have a fax modem so it was trivial---for the order with my credit card number, and from then on either fax or email my orders.)

And if you are a Feathers fan, as I was, it's amazing to find blades that are (for me) sharper and smoother than the Feathers. So far, I've found three: Treet Blue Special (carbon steel) and Astra Keramik Platinum and Astra Superior Platinum, both stainless. They're all keepers.

It really is worth looking beyond the big five of brands. The brands I'm using now (from Razor and Brush) were simply unavailable, so far as I know, when I first started wet-shaving. I feel as though I have found a new world of blades, and I'm the first one there....

I just shaved with a Treet blade this morning - in my Merkur 38c.

And... let me say that it was an all around great shave.

I ask myself two question about Treet blades. 1) are they sharper than Feathers, which are the obvious standard? Answer: I don't know.

and 2) are they smoother, meaning do they shave with less pain, irritation, and chance of nicks? Answer: a resounding YES!

A very smooth and comfortable shave, with a blade that is clearly sharper than Derby and most other brands, and maybe as sharp as a Feather.

There is something a bit different about these blades (other than their colour) but I just can't put my finger on it (no pun intended). Something makes them smooth but also agressive.

I think I will look into getting more of these in the near future.

I will, however, be wary of rust. I normally replace my blade every Sunday morning, which often means that I have shaved seven times with it. So I wll check this blade after two or three to see how its going.

The 91% rubbing alcohol rinse seems to prevent rust altogether. Otherwise, I had substantial rust after 3 days (particularly on the underside of the razor). FWIW, the Astra Superior Platinum is a stainless blade that seems the equal of the Treet Blue Special---at least for me.

Top Bottom