What's new

Treet carbon steel --- for me, a best blade

I am finding many, many blades from the #2 sampler that are excellent. I think I may be lucky in that I've really gotten good shaves from nearly all blades (I think any issues have been sloppy technique, such as too much pressure).

I'm ranking them and will likely buy 3-4 for rotation. It will take a while to get through them all, and another round to check. Giovanni also gave me some samples that weren't in my #2 sampler, including the Treet Carbon, which I'm looking forward to trying. Here is my ranking so far (most with only 2 pass shave as I am just beginning):

1 DORCO: very smooth, no irritation
2 Dura Sharp Carbon: very smooth, no irritation, sharp
3 Super Max Platinum: Sharp, smooth, no irritation on 2 pass shave
4 Dura Sharp Stainless: very sharp, fairly smooth, little irritation later in day
5 Merkur: Seemed to pull, XTG resulted in minor irritation and razor burn
6 Sputnik: Seemed to pull, XTG resulted in minor irritation and razor burn (technique?)
7 Dura Sharp Platinum: considerable razor burn and irritation (technique?)

I found the Treet Blue Special to be better for me than the Treet Dura-Sharp Hi-Tech (i.e., carbon) Steel blades. I need to go back and try the Treet Platinum again.

I have the largest sampler pack, and I'm also finding that the blades I've tried so far are terrific. OTOH, I've probably been skimming the cream, since I've tried blades recommended by others. Still, given YMMV on blades, I'm surprised to find so many good blades in a row. There are differences, but so far none that I would just reject out of hand. This morning I used the Wilkinson Economie, made in the UK, and got another very smooth and easy shave.

So what blades are better than the Feather then? You have me hooked on a Slant and was wondering what your experiences are with a Tweet, Astra that you talked about in another thread. Time to buy some blades and you have been right on before..

So how would you rank your top blades to the Feather?

Thanks again for your help!

BTW: the question was asked whether I like these better than Feathers. I do, though I don't yet know how long these will last. That might change something. And, of course, that's for me: for you, Feathers could well be better than these, or some other brand better than both.

Well, for me (and, as you well know, YMMV) the blades I find better than the Feather so far are:

Treet Blue Special (carbon steel)
Astra Superior Platinum
Astra Keramik (not quite so good as the Superior Platinum)
Any Wilkinson: UK, German, or Economie
Gillette Silver Blue

But, again, that's for me. Your best bet is to try as many brands as possible, not excluding brands that you can purchase locally. Spend a week with your best brand to date, then try a new brand. If it's better, it becomes your best brand; if not, return to the best brand to date for another week, then another new brand. This allows you to compare just two brands at a time, and you continually return to your current best---for a break in testing and to remind yourself of what a brand that's good for you feels like.

Leisureguy,

As always thanks! I have learned alot from you. Several months ago you helpd me with the slant and Feather combo. I am getting good at it with your advice of a soft touch while shaving!

Now the blades you mention...how did they work in your slant? Also besides the combo backs is there a place you can get these hard to find blades?

When you say they are better than the Feather you think they are sharper and smoother. I learned alot today as I always thought the Feather was the best out..I remember you were in love with them but I guess you have to keep trying.

As always thanks for your help!

Well, for me (and, as you well know, YMMV) the blades I find better than the Feather so far are:

Treet Blue Special (carbon steel)
Astra Superior Platinum
Astra Keramik (not quite so good as the Superior Platinum)
Any Wilkinson: UK, German, or Economie
Gillette Silver Blue

But, again, that's for me. Your best bet is to try as many brands as possible, not excluding brands that you can purchase locally. Spend a week with your best brand to date, then try a new brand. If it's better, it becomes your best brand; if not, return to the best brand to date for another week, then another new brand. This allows you to compare just two brands at a time, and you continually return to your current best---for a break in testing and to remind yourself of what a brand that's good for you feels like.

i finally got around to trying the swedes, and i must say, they give me a better shave than the carbon treets, feathers or gillette blue

but at much more than double the cost, i dont know if i could stomach it

Leisureguy, have you tried dunking the razor head or blade into barbicide and just leaving it there? It has corrosion inhibitors.

Personally, if I had a blade rusting every day like those Treets, I'd definitely use it in a TTO razor. Otherwise changing a blade is a little bit of a hassle.

Since I have the Treet Blue Special in several razors, it's impractical for me to have them all immersed. The 91% rubbing alcohol rinse---swishing the head of the razor in a little jar of the alcohol---seems to prevent rust, and is quick and easy to do. (I use a 1-cup canning jar without the ring, just the lid, so I can just lift up the lid, which is still tight enough fit to prevent evaporation.)

Since I have the Treet Blue Special in several razors, it's impractical for me to have them all immersed. The 91% rubbing alcohol rinse---swishing the head of the razor in a little jar of the alcohol---seems to prevent rust, and is quick and easy to do. (I use a 1-cup canning jar without the ring, just the lid, so I can just lift up the lid, which is still tight enough fit to prevent evaporation.)
You need the Barbicide jar, mid-size. See it here.
(Don't have to put Barbicide in it, just the alcohol.)

I tried this famous blade today. It started off strong, I initially found the blade to be pretty sharp as I went over my cheeks and mustache, but when I got to my neck (the ultimate test for me) I found it to be sub-par against Feathers, Crystals, and Derbys.

I tried the Blue today for the first time and found it as sharp and much smoother than the feather. This is as close to BBS as I have been for the one month I have been using the DE. This is only the first time with the blade and the next few shaves will determine whether it will measure up. I am hoping for at least 3 shaves with this blade. I am doing the alcohol swish to keep the rust at bay. A small price to pay for such a reasonable blade. I give this blade a :thumbup: .

bj

I tried the Blue today for the first time and found it as sharp and much smoother than the feather. This is as close to BBS as I have been for the one month I have been using the DE. This is only the first time with the blade and the next few shaves will determine whether it will measure up. I am hoping for at least 3 shaves with this blade. I am doing the alcohol swish to keep the rust at bay. A small price to pay for such a reasonable blade. I give this blade a :thumbup: .

bj
I'm getting at least 2, perhaps 3 (it's difficult to say because I use sometimes different razors for different passes). But considering cost per shave, if you got only 1 shave from a BB and 3 from a Feather, you'd be at about break-even.

And I find them smoother than Feathers, generally.:a14:

"It seems (to me) as sharp or sharper than a Feather, but smoother. And certainly the price is right: 11.5¢ a blade if you buy 100. Thus if you can use a Feather for four shaves and a Treet carbon steel for just two, you're still money ahead with the Treet."

Good enough for me to try a sampler pack. Nothing but Feather blades work for me but if I can find something smother I’ll give it a try.
Regards,
Alfred

My beard is dark and TOUGH.

About a month and a half ago I bought a whole bunch of these TREET Black Beauty carbon steel blades.

I DO NOT like them very much. They seem to be much duller and pull my hair with each stroke. And as mentioned, they rust after about 2 days.

My wife does not like them either in her Lady Gillette.

Giovanni sent me a 10 pack of something that I DID like, the TREET Platnum blades. Now, they are much closer to Feathers, Sweedish Gillettes, and I find them to be very nice.

I suppose I'll try to use them up off and on, but I'm not very impressed.

Top Bottom