What's new

The Wanderer's Journey

To avoid cluttering up the Fixed Four thread, with stuff that isn't a shave...

The 84-P hasn't "clicked" with me (so far) in the same way the 68-P did. The 68-P and the old Jagger feel like daily use razors. The 84-P feels more like my open combed Merkur, in that it's a nice razor to have around when needed, but wouldn't be first choice for daily use. I'm now getting to the point of thinking it would be really nice to have a relaxing couple of easy care free shaves with the 68-P, before continuing on with the 84-P again.

I'm DEFINITELY at the stage of thinking it would be nice to be using a different brush for a few shaves, before continuing on taming the Jagger best badger. I didn't shave today purely because I didn't feel like facing that brush today. Other brushes have gone through that phase, to become very enjoyable brushes. This will too. However forcing myself to endure peak scritch through a fixed four month, might not have been the smartest move. Or at least it doesn't feel like that at this moment in time.

I'm perfectly happy to sail through the rest of the month with the 84-P, even though I prefer the 68-P. But enduring the rest of the month with the Jagger brush is certainly going to make this month a challenge.

The razor is still fun, even though a brief interval would be nice.
The brush is not fun at the moment.

I just have to keep focussed on the fact that the brush will be enjoyable again at some point, and hope it doesn't get too much worse before it gets better. The two Beaufort brushes did get worse first.
I agree that some of my more "efficient/aggressive" razors I also need a break from here and there to let the skin relax a bit. Especially if I am shaving daily. I am not sure if you are experiencing an accumulation of irritation with the .84P or not but I am a firm believer that irritation can and will accumulate over time. I am not sure I could handle my .84P day in and day out for a month worth of time either.

Actually makes me think a bit of which razors in my arsenal that I could go for an entire month with straight. I may have to try that out at some time, but it would take a good bit of time to figure that out.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I agree that some of my more "efficient/aggressive" razors I also need a break from here and there to let the skin relax a bit. Especially if I am shaving daily. I am not sure if you are experiencing an accumulation of irritation with the .84P or not but I am a firm believer that irritation can and will accumulate over time. I am not sure I could handle my .84P day in and day out for a month worth of time either.

Actually makes me think a bit of which razors in my arsenal that I could go for an entire month with straight. I may have to try that out at some time, but it would take a good bit of time to figure that out.

I totally agree on the cumulative aspect, Boris. I have been keeping my shaves to (mostly) two day growth, or thereabouts. That's kept the shaves comfortable for the most part. I'm over 36 hour growth now, and the skin feels like I should wait a little longer, not just for the razor aggression, but the feistiness of the brush too.

I totally agree on the cumulative aspect, Boris. I have been keeping my shaves to (mostly) two day growth, or thereabouts. That's kept the shaves comfortable for the most part. I'm over 36 hour growth now, and the skin feels like I should wait a little longer, not just for the razor aggression, but the feistiness of the brush too.
Ah that is right you mentioned that. I guess am fortunate that I do not get irritation from using brushes. Now I only use synthetics as well, except for the occasional boar.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I have a few extra spares... :whistling:

This one will come around in time, but it is a bit of a feat of endurance sticking with it through it's stabby phase. It started out quite nice, and only became stabby quite recently. I just need to persevere with it until the whole knot breaks in.

I used to use mostly synthetics, now I'm all boars or badgers, a byproduct of the DecemBOAR and BADGERary group shaves. I now prefer the natural hair brushes, and my boars are well broken in, all are but one badger. It needs some work.
I am with you on the natural hair brushes. I haven't really given synthetics a chance only ever using 3. At some point I am going to give the G5C a shot though 😁.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I've yet to go down the brush rabbit hole. Don't temp me, brothers. :)
I did prime the pump.... but you haven't been using the handle... Good on you. <eg>

Actually, I quite enjoy that you use the Omega Evo Original so much. That was my favorite Synth... but I moved away from them and my wife, as you know, chose two others she preferred... I told her to keep all three but she insisted on only keeping two of them.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
I did prime the pump.... but you haven't been using the handle... Good on you. <eg>
My four brushes are -

ESC Ultimate Handle with a Shavemac Two-band Silvertip, reknotted by Rudy Vey
Connaught Omega Jade
Omega Evo Sapphire Blue
Hawkins & Brimble (Toothpick sent me this one)

And we know what happened to that "other" brush you sent me, Kim. <eg>

I'll add more along the way but I'm quite satisfied with these. :)

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Hooray at free the point of use healthcare systems.

I left the house on oxygen at three am this morning, and they wired me up to a monitor in the noisy bus, before taking me to hospital. By the afternoon I was back home with tea and flapjack, issue resolved, and feeling perfectly fine (other than completely exhausted) without too many sharp objects being used. :thumbup:

Respiratory system is back working at normal flow/capacity. Two ECGs, pee test, two blood tests, and chest x-ray were all clear of stuff to worry about, and I even got a nice visit from the cup of tea fairy halfway through. I dread to think what the bill might be if I lived in a different land.

The plug of bodily stuff that had formed in my airways was deemed a one-off incident, but I blagged an inhaler off them just in case. My only complaint of the whole affair would be the ambulances and emergency care wards using incompatible ECG machinery, which means two sets of sticky pads to rip off hairy chests and shins.

No shave since Monday, but it can wait another night. I have a much more enjoyable planned outing tomorrow, so I will shave before that. Instead, I might celebrate being home and breathing, with a home delivery from some takeaway or other. Sadly, I'll have to pay for that though. :p

Raven Koenes

My precious!

I left the house on oxygen at three am this morning, and they wired me up to a monitor in the noisy bus, before taking me to hospital. By the afternoon I was back home with tea and flapjack, issue resolved, and feeling perfectly fine (other than completely exhausted) without too many sharp objects being used. :thumbup:

Respiratory system is back working at normal flow/capacity. Two ECGs, pee test, two blood tests, and chest x-ray were all clear of stuff to worry about, and I even got a nice visit from the cup of tea fairy halfway through. I dread to think what the bill might be if I lived in a different land.

The plug of bodily stuff that had formed in my airways was deemed a one-off incident, but I blagged an inhaler off them just in case. My only complaint of the whole affair would be the ambulances and emergency care wards using incompatible ECG machinery, which means two sets of sticky pads to rip off hairy chests and shins.

No shave since Monday, but it can wait another night. I have a much more enjoyable planned outing tomorrow, so I will shave before that. Instead, I might celebrate being home and breathing, with a home delivery from some takeaway or other. Sadly, I'll have to pay for that though. :p
I'm happy you are at home and recovering in good spirits, Al. :001_smile

Gald you're home and well and it was a pleasant experience. Well maybe pleasant is taking it too far, glad it wasn't a horrible experience. That's better.

I'm glad to hear that you're OK, Al... and better still that you're in good spirits. :cornut:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Gald you're home and well and it was a pleasant experience. Well maybe pleasant is taking it too far, glad it wasn't a horrible experience. That's better.

Thanks John. It was (certainly initially) a rather terrifying experience, made a lot easier by an array of wonderful people.

The swiftness really impressed me. I called 999 barely able to stand or talk, and they stayed on the phone with me till I could get my sorry state downstairs. By the time I reached the bottom step, I could see the torches (flashlights) of the medics waiting for me outside my door. The whole ordeal was just over eight hours from catch to release, and that included a five hour wait in the middle for test results and a clinical slot. After that, every scan, test, and consultation was almost immediate.

Glad to read you’re breathing better, Al

Cheers Thom. Me too!

I'm glad to hear that you're OK, Al... and better still that you're in good spirits. :cornut:

Cheers Cal. The joy of being able to breathe again does a cracking job of lifting your spirits :lol1:

Thanks John. It was (certainly initially) a rather terrifying experience, made a lot easier by an array of wonderful people.

The swiftness really impressed me. I called 999 barely able to stand or talk, and they stayed on the phone with me till I could get my sorry state downstairs. By the time I reached the bottom step, I could see the torches (flashlights) of the medics waiting for me outside my door. The whole ordeal was just over eight hours from catch to release, and that included a five hour wait in the middle for test results and a clinical slot. After that, every scan, test, and consultation was almost immediate.

Cheers Thom. Me too!

Cheers Cal. The joy of being able to breathe again does a cracking job of lifting your spirits :lol1:
You have an excellent outlook on the events, it seems that it wasn't exactly a walk in the park for you but you are keeping it positive. Take care Al, here's to continued easy breathing.

Top Bottom